Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First US tax return - please help!

Wikiposts

First US tax return - please help!

Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:11 am
Just Joined

import is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First US tax return - please help!

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations on finding a good tax professional who doesn't cost the earth and understands UK and US tax laws or at least that they are different
This is our first year in the US and we have to file a dual-status tax return, also we received all kinds of income from UK sources during the year (due to bad financial planning on our part ) . I am starting to seriously question our accountants ability to handle this mess, especially since we are on green cards and I read that tax fraud can cause it to be revoked. Not that I have any intention of comitting tax fraud, I am just scared of making a mistake which could be construed as such. It is costing us enough as it is having to declare all this income...
Also does anyone know if following the advice you get from the IRS helplines would count as a defense if a mistake was made? I have been noting down names and numbers but don't know if it's really worth it.
As you can tell I am seriously freaked out :scared: Any advice welcomed!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:13 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First US tax return - please help!

Originally Posted by import
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations on finding a good tax professional who doesn't cost the earth and understands UK and US tax laws or at least that they are different
This is our first year in the US and we have to file a dual-status tax return, also we received all kinds of income from UK sources during the year (due to bad financial planning on our part ) . I am starting to seriously question our accountants ability to handle this mess, especially since we are on green cards and I read that tax fraud can cause it to be revoked. Not that I have any intention of comitting tax fraud, I am just scared of making a mistake which could be construed as such. It is costing us enough as it is having to declare all this income...
Also does anyone know if following the advice you get from the IRS helplines would count as a defense if a mistake was made? I have been noting down names and numbers but don't know if it's really worth it.
As you can tell I am seriously freaked out :scared: Any advice welcomed!
yep but they are in houston..
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

import is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep but they are in houston..
Well me too (sort of) so actually that would be perfect
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:30 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by import
Well me too (sort of) so actually that would be perfect

hiya, ok I'll pm you his contact number or maybe I have his email address.... I'll check it out...he has filed for us for yrs...my hubby is a usc and me a trubrit ttfn
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

For your first return here, since you have income to claim from the UK, you're going to need an accountant. It can get complicated and they can help you deduct more than you think you should be able to. It might be worth the investment first time around.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:46 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I've recommended Global Tax Network before, but never used them myself. They were recommended by someone on this board, and they seem great. They'll interview you over the phone, then you fill in a detailed interview online and they'll prepare your tax return. They're also pretty reasonably priced - my complex first year return would have cost around $175, but I didn't feel confident working with a CPA purely on the phone and online. I should have done, as it would have been far less trouble than H&R Block.

Alternatively, look at this thread for my saga of using H&R Block Premium. If you learn your tax rights pretty well, and just want a company to sign your return and defend it if the IRS audit you then H&R Block Premium just about fit the bill, but only as a last resort.

I still think Global Tax Network are a great idea though, and regret not using them my first year here when I had similarly complex overseas income issues.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 12:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as this thread is up a quick question.
Am i liable to pay any tax in the US on any income i earned in the UK during 2005 BEFORE I got here.
I already claimed a rebate from the Inland Revenue just after I left the UK.

Up to now I've been working on the assumption that I just have 5 months US tax to pay full stop - i have no rental or other UK incomes right now.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:38 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Seeing as this thread is up a quick question.
Am i liable to pay any tax in the US on any income i earned in the UK during 2005 BEFORE I got here.
I already claimed a rebate from the Inland Revenue just after I left the UK.

Up to now I've been working on the assumption that I just have 5 months US tax to pay full stop - i have no rental or other UK incomes right now.
Like all things tax-related, it's not that simple.

If you're resident in the US for tax purposes (look up "substantial presence test" on the IRS website) then you're liable for US tax on your WORLDWIDE income.

However, there's a foreign earned tax exclusion which covers up to $70k, I believe, and because the US has a tax treaty with the UK you shouldn't actually be double taxed on anything.

The key point is whether you're resident for tax purposes. You'd better hope you are though - the alternative is that you file as non-resident, and are not allowed any of the tax exemptions that a resident is allowed.

If you had UK income and you're not completely at ease with working out your tax situation from the excellent (no, really!) IRS website then you need a good CPA.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Like all things tax-related, it's not that simple.

If you're resident in the US for tax purposes (look up "substantial presence test" on the IRS website) then you're liable for US tax on your WORLDWIDE income.

However, there's a foreign earned tax exclusion which covers up to $70k, I believe, and because the US has a tax treaty with the UK you shouldn't actually be double taxed on anything.

The key point is whether you're resident for tax purposes. You'd better hope you are though - the alternative is that you file as non-resident, and are not allowed any of the tax exemptions that a resident is allowed.

If you had UK income and you're not completely at ease with working out your tax situation from the excellent (no, really!) IRS website then you need a good CPA.
Cheers Db
Against your good advice I'm booked in with H&R Block premium on Saturday as I had expected this to be a doddle - maybe not now but I get H&R dirt cheap through work so it won't cost me too much to at least listen to them.
Before I go I'll check out the IRS site to get an idea of how the land lies myself.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:48 pm
Arrogant ****

Cheers Db
Against your good advice I'm booked in with H&R Block premium on Saturday as I had expected this to be a doddle - maybe not now but I get H&R dirt cheap through work so it won't cost me too much to at least listen to them.
Before I go I'll check out the IRS site to get an idea of how the land lies myself.
OK. Checklist for the moron you deal with at H&R Block Premium:

1) Do you meet the substantial presence test? If so, your taxes are to be prepared as if you're a Yank. Don't listen to any crap to the contrary.
2) Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. This is what a US resident would file for if they had worked abroad for part of the year and paid taxes to the nation in which they worked if that nation had a tax treaty with the UK. You should be able to exclude >$70k of any income you had in the UK during the tax year.
3) Mortgage interest, Council Tax (property tax), childcare and other exclusions. Since you're filing as a resident, you can exclude the same things you could exclude here. If you paid Council Tax then you may be able to exclude it as Property Tax or as Foreign Tax (separate exclusion). Same for mortgage interest. Do NOT let the H&R Blockhead tell you that these things can't be excluded - they can, and I did, and if in doubt get them to research on the IRS website.
4) Relocation costs. You can't exclude much of these, but remember to exclude what you can. IRS has good details on what can and can't be excluded.

I had a bitch of a time with this the first year, and H&R Block were nearly $8000 off in their initial rebate calculation, so if in doubt, take your time and check their calculations against the IRS website instructions.

PM me if you need any additional info. Remember, if they get it wrong then it's free, and they have to correct it, and they still have to defend it to the IRS if necessary, so it's not the end of the world.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:52 pm
Thinking about it

OK. Checklist for the moron you deal with at H&R Block Premium:

1) Do you meet the substantial presence test? If so, your taxes are to be prepared as if you're a Yank. Don't listen to any crap to the contrary.
2) Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. This is what a US resident would file for if they had worked abroad for part of the year and paid taxes to the nation in which they worked if that nation had a tax treaty with the UK. You should be able to exclude >$70k of any income you had in the UK during the tax year.
3) Mortgage interest, Council Tax (property tax), childcare and other exclusions. Since you're filing as a resident, you can exclude the same things you could exclude here. If you paid Council Tax then you may be able to exclude it as Property Tax or as Foreign Tax (separate exclusion). Same for mortgage interest. Do NOT let the H&R Blockhead tell you that these things can't be excluded - they can, and I did, and if in doubt get them to research on the IRS website.
4) Relocation costs. You can't exclude much of these, but remember to exclude what you can. IRS has good details on what can and can't be excluded.

I had a bitch of a time with this the first year, and H&R Block were nearly $8000 off in their initial rebate calculation, so if in doubt, take your time and check their calculations against the IRS website instructions.

PM me if you need any additional info. Remember, if they get it wrong then it's free, and they have to correct it, and they still have to defend it to the IRS if necessary, so it's not the end of the world.
A quick question then - is my tax calculated on the whole tax year even though I was only resident since July ??
I'll check this out myself but seeing as you're here...
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

A quick question then - is my tax calculated on the whole tax year even though I was only resident since July ??
Yes, which means that if you can exclude most of your UK income you won't have much tax to pay this time round.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:04 pm
Arrogant ****

Oh FFS!

Only if you meet the Substantial Presence Test.

Do you? If you do, then your tax is calculated on the entire year, including any UK income. If you don't then... but I think you do.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:20 pm
Thinking about it

Oh FFS!

Only if you meet the Substantial Presence Test.

Do you? If you do, then your tax is calculated on the entire year, including any UK income. If you don't then... but I think you do.
Interesting - I arrived on July 14th so do not meet the test (183 days in the past 3 years).
So I'm f**ked then, it that correct - I will have to read into this a bit more, but I fear that I may well get a bit p**sed off if what you've posted above proves to be correct.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:25 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I arrived on July 14th so do not meet the test (183 days in the past 3 years).
So I'm f**ked then, it that correct - I will have to read into this a bit more, but I fear that I may well get a bit p**sed off if what you've posted above proves to be correct.
I spoke to IRS who I'm sure said that I counted as a resident and could file jointly with OH, i arrived in Oct 05 and did not work here. I too am now totally confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.