Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First time UK passport application Qs

First time UK passport application Qs

Old May 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Brit in Chicago is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow First time UK passport application Qs

Hi, I'm hoping someone can clarify the UK passport application requirements for first time applicants (I'm applying from the US).
I called the helpline and they said I need to provide the following documents: orginal UK naturalisation certificate, copy of US passport and original birth certificate (I was born in the US).
But when I look at the requirements as outlined on the FCO website, for those individuals born before 1983 outside the UK (ie my situation), there's nothing there stating original birth certificate.
Can someone please let me know what documents I should be sending to the embassy in Washington?
Also, I'm planning on returning to the UK in about 18 months - should I just hold on until I go back to apply for the passport? I'm assuming now that I'm a naturalised citizen, I can apply whenever and the certificate would never expire? It just seems a lot of trouble applying outside the UK.
Thanks so much.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time UK passport application Qs

Send in what they asked over the phone.

You want your passport before moving to the UK, it'll make your life a lot easier than trying to settle whilst entering on a US passport, presuming you are also a US citizen.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you have a US passport. If you use that the enter the UK you will only be granted entry for a maximum of 6 months as a visitor. With all the restrictions that entails. Once there you can get your status changed, but that is not straight forward. If it involved a trip to Lunar House in Croydon to do so, that is a place no sane person ever wants to experience.

In the years I was at Heathrow I never saw anyone enter with a foreign passport and a UK Naturalization Certificate so it is in the lap of the gods how the immigration officer would deal with that.

As you have 18 months send in the application, less your US birth certificate. If it is needed they will ask for it. On the other hand if it isn't any problem for you to do so, send it with the application.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I guess you have a US passport. If you use that the enter the UK you will only be granted entry for a maximum of 6 months as a visitor. With all the restrictions that entails. Once there you can get your status changed, but that is not straight forward. If it involved a trip to Lunar House in Croydon to do so, that is a place no sane person ever wants to experience.

In the years I was at Heathrow I never saw anyone enter with a foreign passport and a UK Naturalization Certificate so it is in the lap of the gods how the immigration officer would deal with that.

As you have 18 months send in the application, less your US birth certificate. If it is needed they will ask for it. On the other hand if it isn't any problem for you to do so, send it with the application.
As you said the OP would be classed as a visitor and therefore would not be entitled to the various UK services that citizens are entitled to...ie NHS, benefits etc.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: First time UK passport application Qs

One for JAJ to comment on.

Dean
Old May 4th 2011, 1:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
A tourist visa stamp, or any other form of UK visa, is null and void if given to a person who is a British citizen or Right of Abode holder. Therefore there is no question of changing status, merely proving status - and a naturalisation certificate with photo ID will do just that for most purposes.

Of course, for subsequent travel into and out of the UK, you really do need a British passport or Right of Abode stamp.

The Washington embassy doesn't seem to publish its document requirement any more, but this site from the British High Commission in Auckland NZ does.
http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/res...tregornatasaBC

Seems that a US birth certificate is not needed. Probably wouldn't hurt to a. send a photocopy and b. order another few originals for yourself. Or if this isn't urgent, order a new US birth certificate first, and apply for passport once that is done.

They will want your original naturalisation certificate - so keep a copy, and use a secure method (eg courier) to send.

Last edited by JAJ; May 4th 2011 at 1:49 am.
Old May 5th 2011, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. I think best thing to do is apply for the UK passport as soon as I can. Will order the copies of birth certificate this week.
Old May 5th 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

DCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really nice

You don't need your birth certificate. You must be a citizen through form UKM, or another form of descent, is that right?

In that case, when you got your citizenship, you should have been given a citizenship certificate. Presumably when you got your citizenship, you proved who you are, through giving a birth certificate.

The documents you should send are:
- a certified copy (or original) of your citizenship certificate
- your US passport or a photocopy of the page with your photograph in it.

The citizenship certificate is enough to prove citizenship. Your US passport proves you are who you say you are. You don't need to give them a birth certificate.

I'm a UKM citizen. I sent in a copy of my citizenship certificate (a photo copy stamped signed by the embassy when I received the original) and my US passport (didn't realize at the time that you only need to send a copy of that). I got my passport today, no problem, beyond the slow processing times.

I would definitely get the passport now rather than trying to change status after you arrive. Apply early. It's slow!
Old May 5th 2011, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCErin
- your US passport or a photocopy of the page with your photograph in it.
Definitely send a copy and not the original
Old May 6th 2011, 1:05 am
Just Joined

DCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really niceDCErin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Definitely send a copy and not the original
I so wish that the passport forms made this clear, because it would have saved me a lot of worry! Unfortunately I only learned of the possibility to send a copy too late.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit in Chicago
Hi, I'm hoping someone can clarify the UK passport application requirements for first time applicants (I'm applying from the US).
I called the helpline and they said I need to provide the following documents: orginal UK naturalisation certificate, copy of US passport and original birth certificate (I was born in the US).
But when I look at the requirements as outlined on the FCO website, for those individuals born before 1983 outside the UK (ie my situation), there's nothing there stating original birth certificate.
By the way, if you got British citizenship based on your mother, you're not naturalised ... you're a British citizen by registration (which is a simplified form of naturalisation). And that kind of registration confers British citizenship by descent.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

I got my UK citizenship by living in the UK for 6 years - not through my parents. I think they expect me to send in the original naturalisation certificate - the form explicitly says not to send copies (although the copy of my passport contradicts this). I hope nothing gets lost in the mail !
Old May 6th 2011, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

If you have a copy made by a consulate, signed and stamped there, then it counts as an original. When I received my certificate of registration, the embassy specifically told me that I could use the copies they gave me as if they were originals. But if you don't have something like that, then I guess you'll have to send the original.

When I got back my passport they did *not* return my certified copy to me, but they did return my US passport, so I'm assuming you'd get back your genuine copy without a problem. Though I know it doesn't feel good to lose your hold on it.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Brit in Chicago
I got my UK citizenship by living in the UK for 6 years - not through my parents. I think they expect me to send in the original naturalisation certificate - the form explicitly says not to send copies (although the copy of my passport contradicts this). I hope nothing gets lost in the mail !
OK, so if it says "Certificate of Naturalisation" then you're British "otherwise than by descent" and so any US born children you have will be British by descent.

As far as I am aware they do need to see the original of your naturalisation certificate for a first time application. Keep a copy! And use a secure method to send. That is as much as you can do.

You only need to send a copy of your US passport ID page. At least that's been the experience of most people. You can choose to disbelieve if you wish but if you send your original US passport you won't be able to travel anywhere for the few months that your passport application will probably take. And it might get lost.

See:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...pics/documents

Foreign passport is not a mandatory document (not everyone has one, anyway) => it's ok to send a copy.