First time expat move from London to NY

First time expat move from London to NY

Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:20 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First time expat move from London to NY

Originally Posted by OldWindsor
Taxation - best to go non Dom, what about my wife etc (plan is circa 3/5 years in US, maybe more)? Will be transferring my employment from existing UK business to our newly set up US one.
You won't become non-domiciled by being away for a few years. What you mean is non-resident. You have to look at the Statutory Resident Test (SRT) to see how/when you become non-resident and what requirements there are. Since you're moving away for work, the third automatic overseas test will apply to you, which requires daily record keeping for the remainder and the following UK tax year. See https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-test-srt

Originally Posted by OldWindsor
National Insurance payments in UK. Keep them up? If so then how?
If you have worked in the UK before you leave and will work in the US when you leave (which is the case for you, not sure about your wife), you qualify for class 2 contributions which are very cheap and a no-brainer. Otherwise you have to pay class 3 contributions which are more expensive and whether they're worth it depend on your circumstances.

In order to apply, you fill out the form in the NI38 booklet.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ty-abroad-ni38

Finally, if you have a private pension in the UK (such as a SIPP) when you leave, you can continue to pay £2,880 into it for 5 UK tax years and you'll get £720 in "tax relief" even if you no longer live or pay tax in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...44100#overseas
Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious as to the benefits of continuing NI payments once you've left the UK?
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So you can claim your full state pension at retirement age (currently 68) - this can be paid to a foreign bank account.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:18 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
So you can claim your full state pension at retirement age (currently 68) - this can be paid to a foreign bank account.
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - but is it worth doing this if I only had 12-18 months full time work/contributions while in the UK?
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:35 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tino
Curious as to the benefits of continuing NI payments once you've left the UK?
You need 35 qualifying years to get the full UK state pension. If you work abroad, you're likely able to pay voluntary class 2 contributions, which is a really cheap way of building up more years. For about £155 each year, you get another qualifying year. The new state pension is around £8,500 per year, so you basically pay £150 now to get around £240 (8500/35) each year of retirement.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:38 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - but is it worth doing this if I only had 12-18 months full time work/contributions while in the UK?
Possibly if you qualify for class 2 contributions. Note that you need at least 10 qualifying years to get a UK state pension. (I think years in the US may count towards that 10 year requirement, but the US years won't count towards how much you get from the UK. I'm not 100% sure on this though.)

However, class 2 contributions are likely to be abolished in the near future (it was supposed to happen this year). The alternative (class 3 contributions) are more expensive and may not be worth it. So it's a bit of a gamble.

Last edited by tbm; Jan 11th 2019 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
I think you have to have paid into UK NI for three years before you are eligible to pay Class 2/3 voluntary contributions whilst living abroad.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:19 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think you have to have paid into UK NI for three years before you are eligible to pay Class 2/3 voluntary contributions whilst living abroad.
Oh yes! Sorry I wasn't thinking when I wrote my reply. "you have lived in the UK for a continuous 3-year period at any time before the period for which NICs are to be paid." (from NI38)
Old Jan 12th 2019, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbm
Possibly if you qualify for class 2 contributions. Note that you need at least 10 qualifying years to get a UK state pension. (I think years in the US may count towards that 10 year requirement, but the US years won't count towards how much you get from the UK. I'm not 100% sure on this though.)

However, class 2 contributions are likely to be abolished in the near future (it was supposed to happen this year). The alternative (class 3 contributions) are more expensive and may not be worth it. So it's a bit of a gamble.
​​​​​​​the shift from payback period of about 7 months to around 2.5-3 years clearly makes Class 3 contributions less advantageous, though I would argue still a very good deal. Not only is the investment return pretty good, I would also argue that having a UK state pension is very good diversification in your pension savings portfolio of investments, i.e. it's a good hedge along side 401k/ personal pensions, maybe employment-based pension(s), and US social security. If there is a long term depression, that would affect stock market and credit-based (bond) investments, then you may be very glad you have a British state pension.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 3:40 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
​​​​​​​the shift from payback period of about 7 months to around 2.5-3 years clearly makes Class 3 contributions less advantageous, though I would argue still a very good deal. Not only is the investment return pretty good, I would also argue that having a UK state pension is very good diversification in your pension savings portfolio of investments, i.e. it's a good hedge along side 401k/ personal pensions, maybe employment-based pension(s), and US social security. If there is a long term depression, that would affect stock market and credit-based (bond) investments, then you may be very glad you have a British state pension.
I tend to agree with you. While not the excellent deal that class 2 contributions are, class 3 contributions are still pretty cheap. The majority of working people in the UK pay much more in National Insurance than what class 3 contributions cost. In most countries you cannot even buy additional years, and if you can, it's much more expensive than in the UK.

However, you're buying additional years in something which may change between now and when you retire. There are a number of uncertainties, e.g.
  • Will the state pension become means tested?
  • Will it will be uprated (i.e. inflation adjusted) in the country you're in? I think that's a big one.
  • How much will voluntary contributions be in the future? (Ok, if they go up a lot, you can just stop paying.)
In any case, I agree with you that class 3 contributions are a good deal. But they are not the "no brainer" that class 2 contributions are. If someone is eligible to pay class 2 contributions, I can't really think of any reason not to pay them (assuming they don't have 35 qualifying years already). With class 3 contributions, I can see arguments against (e.g. if you plan to retire in Australia where the UK pension is not inflation adjusted).
Old Jan 12th 2019, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well re means testing, the way I see it is that the cost to me now is very modest (especially so long as I can continue to pay Class 2), and if they make the state pension means tested, either I will (if everything continues to go according to plan), retire with a healthy income and savings and not particularly care that I have lost out on an income stream that didn't actually cost me much in the first place. Or, if I fall on hard times and retire with low income, I will be dämñ glad that I paid in a little more to secure the maximum British state pension. And if, God forbid, that is my ultimate fate, then I would probably return to the UK because of the cost of healthcare in the US, so the annual increase issue would go away too (FWIW pensioners in the US currently get the annual increase.)
Old Jan 12th 2019, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

To get a measure of how good value Class 2 and 3 are, consider that even Class 3A, which is 5 times more than 3 and 25 times more than 2, beats the market. I think the only case not to pay even Class 3 is if you can't afford it.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Mate - move to Dallas in July with ballpark same salary, L1 and wife not working (awaiting now EAD).

I cannot comment on areas to live but rest;
- car: if you are keen to pay 9% APR at a cost of not having credit records go for it. I managed instead to save some money first months and give 30% cash and rest 0% APR. Many brands offer now 0% and if you give a good down payment and provide contract with salary they will give you.

- bank; they will gove you an account once you have SSN. Go to Bank of America or Chase, if no SSN yet prob BofA or Wells Fargo to start. Negotiate to have a credit card based on your income.
I kept my Amex BA and my Barclays for a few months until all credit was set in US.

- Get your SSN 1 or 2 weeks after you arrive on your visa.
- Health Insurance; with the kind of salary you prob will work in a multinational company, they have good schemes.
there is something called PPO which basically covers you all with thr lower excess, this is what I went for.
Rest of the plans cover normally the same but the excess is a more.

- Start putting money in your pension from day 1, I guess your firm will match up to a %.
Maximize it until you hit the max.
This is only if you plan to stay long time, for 2 or 3 years in US do not bother, better get the money and you invest.

any Qs, let me know.
cheers!!
Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:20 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by circusplaza
I kept my Amex BA and my Barclays for a few months until all credit was set in US.
AMEX may also allow global transfers: https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbm
AMEX may also allow global transfers: https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
True! But credit limit may be lower than the one currently granted in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.