Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Time Completing Tax Return - SSN question

First Time Completing Tax Return - SSN question

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question First Time Completing Tax Return - SSN question

Hi All

I've searched for this in the forums and couldn't find anything - apologies if this has been covered before...

We've been here less than 2 months but it's the end of the year and time to do the tax return.

I was trying to file on line - we have simple tax situation - only I work, OH doesn't. No house bought/sold, no kids, no medical expenses etc etc etc.

The filing asks for OH's SSN - she doesn't have one, or a TIN. So what do I enter?

I guess if we go the paper-based route, the same issue arises?

Cheers

HTS
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:44 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Time Completing Tax Return - SSN question

When we arrived hubby and I both applied for SSN's even though I had no intention of working. When it came time to fill in taxes our son was the one without an SSN and if I remember correctly we sent his application for an ITIN in along with our tax return.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

That's exactly how it worked for us as well.

I needed an ITIN, so I had to fill in a Form W-7 and attach the tax return to that.

The tax return was sent to the ITIN address rather than the one listed on the 1040.

That still appears to be the case. http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...222209,00.html

This route precludes making an online submission.

There are other methods, but this was very easy and didn't appear to delay the process unduly.

If I remember correctly (it seems a long time ago now), I had to get the copies of the identification documents notarized, which again was easy and relatively cheap.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hi All

I've searched for this in the forums and couldn't find anything - apologies if this has been covered before...

We've been here less than 2 months but it's the end of the year and time to do the tax return.

I was trying to file on line - we have simple tax situation - only I work, OH doesn't. No house bought/sold, no kids, no medical expenses etc etc etc.

The filing asks for OH's SSN - she doesn't have one, or a TIN. So what do I enter?

I guess if we go the paper-based route, the same issue arises?

Cheers

HTS
Are you claiming an exemption for your spouse? If so, she must have a SSN or TIN (if she's ineligible for a SSN).

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=96696,00.html

You should claim an exemption for her because you'll pay less tax (maybe not much of a saving this time as you've been here a short time but it will be much more next time). If she's ineligible for a SSN, then it's easy to get her a TIN.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
You need to:

Get her a SSN. If she is an L-2 (?) she is eligible, even without a work permit.
Get her a TIN. Only if she is ineligible for an SSN. Apply with the tax return.
File Married Separate and leave her out of it.