Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First things first

First things first

Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First things first

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP asked about registering his children for medical cover. My note informed him that he could get medical insurance for the children due to the Health Care Act of 2010.

While some people pay for their own medical bills, its not the ideal solution as we all know. Rarely can most people pay a few thousand dollars for a hospital stay, an MRI or ongoing prescriptions. Most people would like to have medical insurance to provide treatment for their families.

We all know about the ER being used by people who are not able to pay for their medical treatment. The OP is neither Hispanic, undocumented nor can speak little English so don't know why you bothered to mention it.
I was simply pointing out for the benefit of the OP and others who may or may not already know that this (your) statement is false:

"All health care in the US is linked to medical insurance of one sort or another."

So if he doesn't have health insurance and he needs treatment for himself or one of his kids, he knows that not having health insurance doesn't mean that he is cut off from healthcare. Healthcare and health insurance are two different things. Not everyone who is new to the US understands that so it's important to point out false statements. Of course, it's better to have health insurance than not.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What are you "qualified" to do? Do you have a degree and if so in what?

Working in education in the States needs specific qualifications, usually State mandated, working with children, people with disabilities also needs specific requirements.
I'm a qualified youth worker with degree in Community and Youth Work and also have a diploma in Supported Employment for People with Disabilities. I also have numerous outdoor pursuits quals such as open canoe and kayak coach, dingy instructor etc.

I am also looking at possibly doing my teaching credential down the line a little but will have to weigh up the costs of that. Was thinking of maybe applying for some classroom assistant jobs in the future to get some experience and my foot in the door.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What benefits are you looking for? The US does not have the social safety net that the UK has.

You can get a deduction on your taxes if you have dependent children. When you file your taxes, you take a deduction for children at that time. Depending on your income level, that deduction may give you a refund on taxes. You'll get that refund at that time, and it's not spread out over the course of the year. I don't know if there is a tax wiki here, but you can use a W4 calculator to determine what number of exemptions to use that will reduce the amount of taxes you pay throughout the year (so you keep more in your pocket throughout the year), so that you may not get a refund back at the end of the year but you won't have to pay either.

As far as finding work, some counties/cities have unemployment offices. The office in my area also has a type of resource area where you can go in and use their computers to find jobs, and I think you can talk to an adviser of some type. But they are not their to find you a job really, mostly they are providing the paperwork to people who have been laid off and are trying to claim unemployment insurance benefits. Your best bet to find work is private recruiters and temp agencies and online job sites.

If you have health insurance, then you chose a Primary Care doctor (i.e. GP) from the list of doctors that accept your insurance. You don't register with them, you just call them and make an appointment whenever you are sick.

If you don't have insurance while you are looking for work, your wife and kids may qualify for coverage from Medicaid (or whatever the equivalent is called in California). As far as I'm aware, you can't qualify for this because you are a new immigrant..but CA can set some of their own rules, so you need to confirm whether this is true or not. Be aware though, that using Medicaid is considered using means-tested benefits (I think) and therefore the Federal gov't can go after your wife and MIL to pay back that money.

What other questions do you have?
Not really looking for any benefits, just if we were entitled I thought we may as well.

Cheers for the other advice
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Not really looking for any benefits, just if we were entitled I thought we may as well.

Cheers for the other advice
I don't want to give you too much grief, but boy, are you in for a bit of a culture shock. Entitled? That's a slur over here: someone thinks they are entitled/a sense of entitlement?

Americans view benefits/entitlements as synonyms for hand-outs. Although they are somewhat hypocritical in this regard. Anyway, welcome. Well, welcome shortly, I guess.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Start here for Healthy Families California (low cost health insurance):

http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/departmentpage.aspx?ID=6160

Because you and your wife won't have jobs to begin with, your children may be eligible for this insurance program available through the State of California. The program is income based. I don't know much about it, but it's worth checking out.

Go here for the CalFresh program (Food Stamps):

http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/DepartmentPage.aspx?id=13797

Information on CalWORKS (Welfare):

http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/DepartmentPage.aspx?id=6146

I tried looking up information for the W.I.C. (Women Infant Children) Program which offer food vouchers for mothers and children specifically for developing babies and toddlers (such as milk, cheese, etc.), but was unable to find anything specific about it. I'm certain that it still exists.

All these programs you may not be eligible for, however, your wife and children may be based on your past and current income. It's a starting point. If any of this does work for your family, you may want to update the forum in case this comes up for someone else. As mentioned by a previous poster, "welfare", "entitlements", "food stamps", etc. are largely looked down upon as hand-outs. But, they're available if necessary, and
if your family qualifies.

(For what it's worth, Fresno County has a large immigrant population--legal and not so legal--you may be eligible to receive some benefits, however, any public monies you receive may fall back on your sponsor(s) to eventually repay.)

Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. This thread seems to have gone off on a "how do I milk the system" tangent. I don't think Ryan was getting at that, although kids come first.

Things like getting a social security number, starting a credit history, USC wife registering to vote, Driver's licenses. Is that what you were after Ryan?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
Ouch. This thread seems to have gone off on a "how do I milk the system" tangent. I don't think Ryan was getting at that, although kids come first.

Things like getting a social security number, starting a credit history, USC wife registering to vote, Driver's licenses. Is that what you were after Ryan?
Yeah Rich, that's the sort of stuff alright.

I was just thinking of someone emigrating to the UK for the 1st time and what they would need to do eg. register at health centre, set up bank account, look into child benefit etc and then flipping it around to us moving to the US.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go - and sorry if this is in your other posts:-

I note your US wife was in US through college, so, till age 18-20 ish? How long ago? Does she have UK citizenship yet? And the kids are set up for dual citizenship?

Does wife have a US bank a/c, CA Drivers license? Presumably she has a SSN.

That's all I have for now!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Before you go - and sorry if this is in your other posts:-

I note your US wife was in US through college, so, till age 18-20 ish? How long ago? Does she have UK citizenship yet? And the kids are set up for dual citizenship?

Does wife have a US bank a/c, CA Drivers license? Presumably she has a SSN.

That's all I have for now!
She lived in US all her life, was actually in college til 25 (don't ask) and then moved here 6 years ago. She doesn't have UK citizenship but does have ILTR. Kids are set up for both and yeah she has all 3 of those things.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Irregular

She lived in US all her life, was actually in college til 25 (don't ask) and then moved here 6 years ago. She doesn't have UK citizenship but does have ILTR. Kids are set up for both and yeah she has all 3 of those things.
Get her uk citizenship at all costs. What if you split later, and the boys want to live in UK? Same for you, as soon as you can get US citizenship.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Get her uk citizenship at all costs. What if you split later, and the boys want to live in UK? Same for you, as soon as you can get US citizenship.
Surely they can live in the UK if they wish as they are UKC? God forbid we did split but the wife can live here as well can't she due to her ILTR?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Irregular

Surely they can live in the UK if they wish as they are UKC? God forbid we did split but the wife can live here as well can't she due to her ILTR?
The children can go where they want. But Mrs Ryan's options will be limited. Either way if she is currently eligible for UK citizenship, it would be DUMB not to take it. Don't take my word, others will chime in momentarily.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that she could lose her ILTR once she has no longer been residing in the UK for a period of time - maybe 2 years, but do check up on that.

With the recent changes that have occurred to the requirements for obtaining visas for family members to live in the UK (check out some threads in the Moving back to the UK Section), if you have the opportunity to go for UK citizenship now, as others have said it might be foolish not to do that right now and be done with it.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agreee - the criteria have increased and will continue to get worse. If she can get UKC, do it now.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Okay you have all put the shits up me so I've just emailed our UK immigration lawyer friend to find out the process etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.