Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Post! Advice wanted.

Wikiposts

First Post! Advice wanted.

Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by jjd100
Does anyone know about doing a masters in the states? what visa do you get and are you able to work on it-im guessing it would only be part time work allowed if any. once you've studied there are you able to try and get a job there and then change the visa to a more permanent one with help from your new employer? thanks
F1

You can't work the first semester and then after that, it's part time, 20 hour a week, on campus only.

And as already mentioned, you could do the OPT thing for a year, or look for a J1 for training etc and hope to get someone to get you an H1.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by Dave L
How easy is it to be accepted onto an American college course? I mean from the point of being an international student so to speak.

That does seem to be one option i have looked at slightly before.

And as for what part of America, it would be Texas, namely Houston or San Antonio as i have friends in both places and really like the areas.
If you have the money, honey.... it ain't hard.

Is the F1 issued only for universities that offer four-year degrees? If so I would suggest Texas State in San Marcos (used to be Southwest Texas). My SIL went there. It is a major party school and not as difficult to get into as the University of Texas or Texas A&M. If you could get an F1 for a two-year course of study, it can be REALLY inexpensive.