Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Post! Advice wanted.

First Post! Advice wanted.

Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Dave L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Post! Advice wanted.

Hey there. Hope this is the right place for this.

Been reading through threads on this forum for a while now. Have to firstly say how nice it is to find such a pleasant and helpful forum!

Now, I'm only 18 but I know deep down that I would love to move out of the UK and move to America. Reasons for this are the whole lifestyle I seem to love whilst i have been over visiting friends, and that I really don't like living in the UK, can't really describe why, it's just how I feel.

In regards to moving abroad, I am still reading up on different Visa's and reading through peoples stories and advice on here. I know I won't have moved until early-mid twenties at the earliest if things go well.

The problem being, I'm hardly qualified. I did average in my A levels, getting D's and E's and I havn't been to University. At the moment im a department Manager in a large retail store. By the time im looking to move to the USA, i could quite probaly be in a position where I am a Store Manager with 3-4 years experience.
I know that having a degree from University helps alot with the Visa process, And have been looking at Open University degree's to do from home. Are these viable or are they looked down upon?

What are my realistic chances of being able to immigrate to the USA, and what can i be doing, achieving to strengthen the odds?

Thanks for any help! Sorry for the wall of text.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by Dave L
What are my realistic chances of being able to immigrate to the USA, and what can i be doing, achieving to strengthen the odds?

Currently Zero

A degree or two would be good ..or start chatting up
American women on-line
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Been reading through threads on this forum for a while now.
If you've been reading "for a while", you know that Pulaski's ways are in the wiki, and that the easiest way is via marriage to a USC.

It strikes me that all of your questions wouldn't need to be asked by anyone who had been reading for a while (and paying attention).

Sorry not trying to be rude Dave, just wonder what you are getting at, what different responses do you expect than are contained in the 10 other identical threads a week we get (that you've already read) asking the exact same questions? Or are you seeking reassurance about something?

If you're wanting information about something more specific then maybe be more specific with your questions?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
If you've been reading "for a while", you know that Pulaski's ways are in the wiki, and that the easiest way is via marriage to a USC.

It strikes me that all of your questions wouldn't need to be asked by anyone who had been reading for a while (and paying attention).

Sorry not trying to be rude, just wonder what you are getting at, what different responses do you expect than are contained in the 10 other identical threads a week we get (that you've already read) asking the exact same questions? Or are you seeking reassurance about something?

If you're wanting information about something more specific then maybe be more specific with your questions?

Slow down ..he is 18 ...

We all had dreams at that age ....... and read nothing ...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair comment Ray......but he say's he's been reading for a while....then asks the same questions as everyone else...which are already answered.....

Just wondered if there was something more specific Dave had not mentioned....otherwise why ask the repeat questions?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Fair comment Ray......but he say's he's been reading for a while....then asks the same questions as everyone else...which are already answered.....

Just wondered if there was something more specific Dave had not mentioned....otherwise why ask the repeat questions?
Sorry if that sounded like i was an expert on the forums.etc

I am still abit clueless and daunted by it all. I didnt mean i had read, broken down, learnt every single thread on here word for word. I have been browsing and i have read quite a few threads. I am fairly new to forums!

The main question that i guess im trying to ask is, if you were in my situation, what would/can be done to improve my chances of being accepted. Fair enough marriage to a USC is one option, but using that as a second resort, what can i do in the next 4-5 years to help myself out?

I will go back and read the threads you mentioned Britishguy36, sorry i seem to have started out on the wrong foot!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

[QUOTE=Dave L;6844541]Hey there. Hope this is the right place for this.

The problem being, I'm hardly qualified. I did average in my A levels, getting D's and E's and I havn't been to University.

Ya call D's and E's average ??

Honest M8 give it 5 years and see what you really want out of life .
Get a bit under your belt first (not too much tho)
Old Oct 4th 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=AngloDreamer;6844666]
Hey there. Hope this is the right place for this.

The problem being, I'm hardly qualified. I did average in my A levels, getting D's and E's and I havn't been to University.

Ya call D's and E's average ??

Honest M8 give it 5 years and see what you really want out of life .
Get a bit under your belt first (not too much tho)
I only im still young and ideas/dreams can change. Thing is, i am commited to this. If i can do anything to improve my chances of being accepted ill do it until im ready to make the final choice. If i decide to stay/go elsewhere, at least ill have abit more "under my belt" in the way of experience/qualifications?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

[QUOTE=Dave L;6844673]
Originally Posted by AngloDreamer
I only im still young and ideas/dreams can change. Thing is, i am commited to this. If i can do anything to improve my chances of being accepted ill do it until im ready to make the final choice. If i decide to stay/go elsewhere, at least ill have abit more "under my belt" in the way of experience/qualifications?
I admire your spirit actually. It is positive .

Which part of the USA would you want to live in and more importantly why ?

As another poster said. Your only realistic option at the moment is to marry a USC.

Are you that committed ??

You said dreams can change so I am wondering about your heart ruling your head so to speak.

We all do this at times whatever age we are but you are only young and as they say

'The grass is always greener t'other side'

Good luck whatever you decide to do but the USA is not the land of milk and honey that some people think it is .
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem being, I'm hardly qualified. I did average in my A levels, getting D's and E's and I havn't been to University. At the moment im a department Manager in a large retail store. By the time im looking to move to the USA, i could quite probaly be in a position where I am a Store Manager with 3-4 years experience.
I know that having a degree from University helps alot with the Visa process, And have been looking at Open University degree's to do from home. Are these viable or are they looked down upon?

hiya, yep why don't you get on and apply to do a OU degree, it can only feather your nest meanwhile get looking for an american gal, they're a sucker for brit accents .....good luck ..
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

get a job working for a large multinational company that has offices based in the US. Then work your way up until you are in a role that is of great benefit to the company and could be done in the US, then try and get a transfer using a L visa. (doesnt need a degree - costs company money so you have to be well worth it to them).
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya, yep why don't you get on and apply to do a OU degree, it can only feather your nest meanwhile get looking for an american gal, they're a sucker for brit accents .....good luck ..
Trubrit is right.
About the accents I mean.

I wish I was 18 again LoL.

Go for it !!!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

trex21 is an unknown quantity at this point

instead of doing OU there. why don't you come to US college ?
i know it's expensive, but rather than doing OU there which doesn't really help to secure you visa at all (people with phd with experience have trouble with visa), get student visa and get some part time job here.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trex21
i know it's expensive, but rather than doing OU there which doesn't really help to secure you visa at all (people with phd with experience have trouble with visa), get student visa and get some part time job here.
If he could swing college here, sure, why not.

I'd suggest the American girl on the internet - heck, he's 18, he's going to be looking for a woman - why not an American one. Sounds a sensible plan really.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trex21
great idea....maybe the OP could compare prices and if feasible come over and chat up the yankettes.....there you go OP all sorted, good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.