Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Post! Advice wanted.

Wikiposts

First Post! Advice wanted.

Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by linakemp
why does he need to retake his A-levels?? Plenty of people get into Uni both here and in the UK without straight A's
D's and E's ?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracym
D's and E's ?
obviously it depends on what you want to study but you can get into plenty of unis with D's and E's, sometimes the school system doesnt work for everyone but then they go on and excel at university, just speaking from my own personal experience thats all
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

obviously it depends on what you want to study but you can get into plenty of unis with D's and E's, sometimes the school system doesnt work for everyone but then they go on and excel at university, just speaking from my own personal experience thats all
I'm surprised many here would take D's and E's. Maybe a community college.

I am aware that those grades are slightly different from the UK to the US - E is a failure, no credit at all here. And I don't think they consider a class for credit, if it's a D. He'd have to explain the differences.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:16 am
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

why does he need to retake his A-levels?? Plenty of people get into Uni both here and in the UK without straight A's
Your correct you dont need A levels to get into Uni or college here in states, I never really got much past GSCE's and NVQ from when i was in the Royal Navy, the college here in states told me you just need a high school level of education.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:17 am
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised many here would take D's and E's. Maybe a community college.

I am aware that those grades are slightly different from the UK to the US - E is a failure, no credit at all here. And I don't think they consider a class for credit, if it's a D. He'd have to explain the differences.
No he wouldnt they make you send them off to a company who are experienced in translating them into a US level of education, and again you sjtu need GSCE's not A Levels.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Dave L is an unknown quantity at this point

This is why im thinking of taking 1 or 2 open university degrees. I mean, I know i want to live in the states, i don't feel i really need to "test drive" it as i have spent half dozen months their over the last 7-8 years.

The Marridge option is open but i seriously would want to try and get over on my own credits, not someone else's citizenship.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

D's and E's ?
you can get into plenty of unis with D's and E's
Originally Posted by LivAtl
I never really got much past GSCE's
Will they let anyone into uni who uses an apostrophe for pluralisation.....?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, but you won't be going to anywhere decent...less importance if your planning on tooting to the US as the quality of the place won't have any importance anyway.

But better to have than not, because GCSEs are worth squat...even if translated to the US equivalent, they wouldn't be enough to get into uni unless you have a puck ton of the buggers with decent grades.

They're shit in the UK and even more shit in the US, just one step above the Not Very Qualified, which is shamefully a waste of time.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well they let me in

It does seem to be catching though - I do it correctly when writing formally, but seem to slip here...

"Ds and Es" doesn't look right though, when I type it that way... perhaps common usage?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

jjd100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LivAtl
Hi there jsut wanted to offer my help,

Anyway the best thing for you to do is to do College here (marrage isnt easy and can take a while for paper work to process), you will need a equivalent highschool education which is basically GCSE's, you will need a US Sponsor (signs a form to say your a nice guy and wont run off), and at about 5-6k Pounds (if you have a friend they can co sign for you), thats pretty much it, goto a tech college as its cheaper and you can transfer after doing something called general studies.

Ive been messing with US Imigration for some time goin different routes and even spoke to a US Imigration Attourney, good luck with it, the US actually apreciate people who want to work hard and get on and especially brits we seem to get Browney Points (especially with teh ladies )

In Short find a college and apply as a International Student and get teh J-1 Visa becuase after a year you can apply to work part time to get soem more money which gets you work experience and after your course you file for a specially Visa so you can work for 1-2years as work experience then most companys will file for you to work for them and then you get your Imigrant Visa.
Just wondering how someone would go about starting the process of applying to an American college like described in the previous post. Are there any helpful websites people know of with college/course details on or is it more a case of searching and finding a college and just contacting them individually? Many thanks
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but you won't be going to anywhere decent...less importance if your planning on tooting to the US as the quality of the place won't have any importance anyway.

But better to have than not, because GCSEs are worth squat...even if translated to the US equivalent, they wouldn't be enough to get into uni unless you have a puck ton of the buggers with decent grades.

They're shit in the UK and even more shit in the US, just one step above the Not Very Qualified, which is shamefully a waste of time.

True obviously the better/higher your education the better your chances are at getting across the pond.
That said I think that GNVQs and NVQs do have a place in the education system, sometimes "traditional schooling" such as A levels aren't suitable for everyone. Universities do recognise GNVQs etc and once you get a degree no one gives a shit about what you did at high school.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjd100
Just wondering how someone would go about starting the process of applying to an American college like described in the previous post. Are there any helpful websites people know of with college/course details on or is it more a case of searching and finding a college and just contacting them individually? Many thanks
yup, contact and apply to individual places and pay the application fee, usually $30-100 which often gets returned if your offered and accept a position if you ask for it....no UCAS over here.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

True obviously the better/higher your education the better your chances are at getting across the pond.
That said I think that GNVQs and NVQs do have a place in the education system, sometimes "traditional schooling" such as A levels aren't suitable for everyone. Universities do recognise GNVQs etc and once you get a degree no one gives a shit about what you did at high school.
NVQ's etc mean well, but the real world implication of them is a joke, they mean nothing in the UK and they mean even less anywhere else, which is what I think if shameful about them. A good idea in principle, especially if your staying in the UK, but a waste of time unfortunately other wise.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
NVQ's etc mean well, but the real world implication of them is a joke, they mean nothing in the UK and they mean even less anywhere else, which is what I think if shameful about them. A good idea in principle, especially if your staying in the UK, but a waste of time unfortunately other wise.
I personally think that the main problem is the sigmatism attached to them, all the old jokes of "got no valid qualifications"/"generally not very qualified" etc. I failed A levels after being seriously ill and did a GNVQ instead as it meant that I could work at my own pace, I still managed to get a place at Leeds Uni after which I went on and did a PhD at Nottingham, so I am very grateful that there is that option otherwise I dont know what I would be doing now!!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

jjd100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know about doing a masters in the states? what visa do you get and are you able to work on it-im guessing it would only be part time work allowed if any. once you've studied there are you able to try and get a job there and then change the visa to a more permanent one with help from your new employer? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.