Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Post! Advice wanted.

Wikiposts

First Post! Advice wanted.

Old Oct 4th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by Dave L
Hey there. Hope this is the right place for this.

Been reading through threads on this forum for a while now. Have to firstly say how nice it is to find such a pleasant and helpful forum!

Now, I'm only 18 but I know deep down that I would love to move out of the UK and move to America. Reasons for this are the whole lifestyle I seem to love whilst i have been over visiting friends, and that I really don't like living in the UK, can't really describe why, it's just how I feel.

In regards to moving abroad, I am still reading up on different Visa's and reading through peoples stories and advice on here. I know I won't have moved until early-mid twenties at the earliest if things go well.

The problem being, I'm hardly qualified. I did average in my A levels, getting D's and E's and I havn't been to University. At the moment im a department Manager in a large retail store. By the time im looking to move to the USA, i could quite probaly be in a position where I am a Store Manager with 3-4 years experience.
I know that having a degree from University helps alot with the Visa process, And have been looking at Open University degree's to do from home. Are these viable or are they looked down upon?

What are my realistic chances of being able to immigrate to the USA, and what can i be doing, achieving to strengthen the odds?

Thanks for any help! Sorry for the wall of text.
2 things immediately come to mind. Try getting a visa to study here (M1, J1 visas) or maybe work experience on the Camp America thing?

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Dave L is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Post! Advice wanted.

Originally Posted by TruBrit
great idea....maybe the OP could compare prices and if feasible come over and chat up the yankettes.....there you go OP all sorted, good luck
How easy is it to be accepted onto an American college course? I mean from the point of being an international student so to speak.

That does seem to be one option i have looked at slightly before.

And as for what part of America, it would be Texas, namely Houston or San Antonio as i have friends in both places and really like the areas.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How easy is it to be accepted onto an American college course? I mean from the point of being an international student so to speak.

And as for what part of America, it would be Texas, namely Houston or San Antonio as i have friends in both places and really like the areas.
American Uni is mega bucks, if you ahve friends in the area, guessing they are of the same age, they might be able to give pointers, what do you want to study?
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:21 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

that's great you already have friends over here.....

not sure about the college, maybe someone else can help you out on that score or even your friends that live here.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Does the retail store you work at have shops over in the US? Virgin and HMV used to, don't know if they still do, but you could try and work your way into a really senior position for a company transfer, or move over to another company where that is more likely to happen.

Get you degree, even if you do nights to get it.

Consider a Bunac style summer thing in the US.

Realise a holiday is miles apart from living here, so really think about what you honestly think you'll be able to achieve that'll be different in the US that you can't in the UK, as well as what really is wrong with the UK. A lot of the problems stem from location, so consider moving around the country, it's easier and cheaper than moving around the world.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

Hi there jsut wanted to offer my help,

Personally I was in a similar position as yourself, young and wanting a change, persoanlly im 25 I have friends here which I met while in the Royal Navy and visited here a couple of times since leaving and becoming a civvie.

Anyway the best thing for you to do is to do College here (marrage isnt easy and can take a while for paper work to process), you will need a equivalent highschool education which is basically GCSE's, you will need a US Sponsor (signs a form to say your a nice guy and wont run off), and at about 5-6k Pounds (if you have a friend they can co sign for you), thats pretty much it, goto a tech college as its cheaper and you can transfer after doing something called general studies.

Sorry if this is a wall of text but its what I had to do I have skills and qualifications but problem is the work visa is a lottery and on top of that you have to wait till April to apply and receive it in Oct and need a company who want to sponsor you.

Ive been messing with US Imigration for some time goin different routes and even spoke to a US Imigration Attourney, good luck with it, the US actually apreciate people who want to work hard and get on and especially brits we seem to get Browney Points (especially with teh ladies )

In Short find a college and apply as a International Student and get teh J-1 Visa becuase after a year you can apply to work part time to get soem more money which gets you work experience and after your course you file for a specially Visa so you can work for 1-2years as work experience then most companys will file for you to work for them and then you get your Imigrant Visa.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:44 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivAtl
Hi there jsut wanted to offer my help,

Personally I was in a similar position as yourself, young and wanting a change, persoanlly im 25 I have friends here which I met while in the Royal Navy and visited here a couple of times since leaving and becoming a civvie.

Anyway the best thing for you to do is to do College here (marrage isnt easy and can take a while for paper work to process), you will need a equivalent highschool education which is basically GCSE's, you will need a US Sponsor (signs a form to say your a nice guy and wont run off), and at about 5-6k Pounds (if you have a friend they can co sign for you), thats pretty much it, goto a tech college as its cheaper and you can transfer after doing something called general studies.

Sorry if this is a wall of text but its what I had to do I have skills and qualifications but problem is the work visa is a lottery and on top of that you have to wait till April to apply and receive it in Oct and need a company who want to sponsor you.

Ive been messing with US Imigration for some time goin different routes and even spoke to a US Imigration Attourney, good luck with it, the US actually apreciate people who want to work hard and get on and especially brits we seem to get Browney Points (especially with teh ladies )

In Short find a college and apply as a International Student and get teh J-1 Visa becuase after a year you can apply to work part time to get soem more money which gets you work experience and after your course you file for a specially Visa so you can work for 1-2years as work experience then most companys will file for you to work for them and then you get your Imigrant Visa.
Fair play to you and ten out of ten for effort, but all that rigmarole sounds a lot more difficult than marrying an American!

Hmmm..... three years of study hell or chatting up Texan hotties until you find a real good'un - let me think....

Let's face it, all he needs to do is come over to visit his friends for an extended holiday using the VWP and remember to pack his shitty stick...
Old Oct 5th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Been reading through threads on this forum for a while now. Have to firstly say how nice it is to find such a pleasant and helpful forum!

What forum has this lad been on FFS
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:41 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I think his best bet would be to stay in his current job, save up some money, and re-take his A-levels. Maybe use a gap year to get in some travel.

Then perhaps he could apply for uni courses that include a year of study/work abroad in the USA.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:27 am
Just Joined

LivAtl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tonrob
Fair play to you and ten out of ten for effort, but all that rigmarole sounds a lot more difficult than marrying an American!

Hmmm..... three years of study hell or chatting up Texan hotties until you find a real good'un - let me think....

Let's face it, all he needs to do is come over to visit his friends for an extended holiday using the VWP and remember to pack his shitty stick...
Well tbh he would ''Have More Fun'' if he tried before he buy'd , he could take his time picking a nice girl instead of gettin some nut case (something there not short of in the states), doin teh student thing isnt that big of a deal they give you a checklist and you get it together thats it, about 4 different things uptodate injections and the money (get a intl student loan for that his friends can co sign).
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

As Bob has already mentioned perhaps in the short term you could look at coming over with BUNAC. Here's the link: http://www.bunac.com/uk/
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I can hear the spats now: "You only love me for my citizenship!" :curse:
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I can hear the spats now: "You only love me for my citizenship!" :curse:
Yep ! ......... heard that during many an argument

If thats so my dear ... why am I still here ?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
If thats so my dear ... why am I still here ?
Paperwork?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I think his best bet would be to stay in his current job, save up some money, and re-take his A-levels. Maybe use a gap year to get in some travel.

Then perhaps he could apply for uni courses that include a year of study/work abroad in the USA.
why does he need to retake his A-levels?? Plenty of people get into Uni both here and in the UK without straight A's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.