Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First month in the USA

First month in the USA

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default First month in the USA

Well, we arrived here a little over a month ago, so far it's been a whirlwind of sorting out our house, getting our son started in 1st grade and getting a rat exterminator to pay a visit.

It's been a relatively easy transition, though I have felt the inevitable culture shock/homesickness which has mostly been a desire to have foods I can't get and feeling weepy for no reason, so a lot like being pregnant!

People in the South have been very kind and welcoming and in many ways remind me of the people I grew up with in the Highlands of Scotland. I've been invited to a British Womens Club (my son's teacher is from England so that's been great) that meets locally. I've found fine grade oatmeal in Krogers so I've made oatcakes, but alas no digestives biscuits. I can't quite bring myself to pay $4 online, but maybe that day will come...

I'm missing the BBC, but I am looking forward to watching the new season of Heroes and CSI Miami. I was kinda hoping that they would get rid of Horatio, but it sadly looks like he might live to see another day...
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First month in the USA

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Well, we arrived here a little over a month ago, so far it's been a whirlwind of sorting out our house, getting our son started in 1st grade and getting a rat exterminator to pay a visit.

It's been a relatively easy transition, though I have felt the inevitable culture shock/homesickness which has mostly been a desire to have foods I can't get and feeling weepy for no reason, so a lot like being pregnant!

People in the South have been very kind and welcoming and in many ways remind me of the people I grew up with in the Highlands of Scotland. I've been invited to a British Womens Club (my son's teacher is from England so that's been great) that meets locally. I've found fine grade oatmeal in Krogers so I've made oatcakes, but alas no digestives biscuits. I can't quite bring myself to pay $4 online, but maybe that day will come...

I'm missing the BBC, but I am looking forward to watching the new season of Heroes and CSI Miami. I was kinda hoping that they would get rid of Horatio, but it sadly looks like he might live to see another day...
Sounds like you are doing great!!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

How cool is that your Son's first Teacher over here is English, should help him settle with just a bit more understanding.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
How cool is that your Son's first Teacher over here is English, should help him settle with just a bit more understanding.
It's been wonderful to have her, she is completely bonkers (in a good way) and very understanding of course. He's starting to lose his accent and has already dropped 'mum' in favour of 'mawmeeee!' and he talks about his 'booty' (I had to ask him what that was)
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It's been wonderful to have her, she is completely bonkers (in a good way) and very understanding of course. He's starting to lose his accent and has already dropped 'mum' in favour of 'mawmeeee!' and he talks about his 'booty' (I had to ask him what that was)
my Son's the same age as your's and I'm glad he still call's me Mum even though he spell's it different and that's just something Mummy has to except.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What is it? Pirate treasure?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
What is it? Pirate treasure?
It's your bum
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's your bum
OMG -- I've lived here 20 years and I never heard that...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
OMG -- I've lived here 20 years and I never heard that...
What a wonderful and truly sheltered life you must lead
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
What a wonderful and truly sheltered life you must lead
Obviously does not read DVD catalogs
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking forward to watching the new season of Heroes and CSI Miami. I was kinda hoping that they would get rid of Horatio, but it sadly looks like he might live to see another day...
How dare you - Horatio rocks!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
How dare you - Horatio rocks!
Ya think? I can't tell whether they've deliberately made his character really cheesy or if David Caruso is just a bad actor, or maybe both.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ya think? I can't tell whether they've deliberately made his character really cheesy or if David Caruso is just a bad actor, or maybe both.
Your right... he is ultra crap

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell whether they've deliberately made his character really cheesy or if David Caruso is just a bad actor, or maybe both.
Definitely both - with a large dose of really bad writers as well ...
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:31 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

definately both....

and why is he the only one that wears sunglasses in Miami..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.