Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First month in the US

First month in the US

Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First month in the US

Originally Posted by Lab_10
Thanks all for your advises. I realise I need to get US health insurance. I am going to look into it closely. At the moment I am resoanably healthy (I mean I don't take any medication or go to doctors on regular base). I probably need to sort it out sooner then later. Doctors in London gave me clearance to get into the US until 4th January. Just wondering is any money would be left for living after all.
It is quite scary to loose my independence even I have good children. But I can't see I can afford to survive here without their help.
The same time I am sure many people have far worse circumstances but they manage to survive.
So I have two choices: to lower my standart of living if I want to be with my children or go back to Scotland and be miserable (at list when nobody can see me� ����).
Did you not work out your finances and day to day living expenses before you moved to the US? (albeit still travelling back and forth to the UK by the sounds of it)

You say that you don't think you can survive without your daughter's help, but surely she and you were aware of this?

Is your only income your 11K GBP pension? If so, and with no certainty that you are going to be able to get a job, I would say that living on 14K USD at today's exchange rate is going to be extremely difficult.

Your medical insurance could be a couple of hundred dollars to start with and while you will be eligible for Medicare at 65 (having 5 years as permanent resident) you will still have to pay for Part A (around 400 bucks a month at present. It's hard to see how you can afford your own apartment on 14K a year.

I don't think you can afford to be flying back and forth to Scotland. You've also got to decide to either rent or sell the property in Scotland and cut out the costs.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The people you need to talk with are not here on this forum which is populated in the majority by 20, 30 and 40 year olds.
Good luck to you.

I don't think this is true at all ...... I get the impression that a great many of the regulars are in their 40s, 50s and 60s.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I thought my pension should qualify under Article 19. I will try to find a good adviser to fil up my first tax return.
One thing I need to deside soon will I file 2016 (two months here) or not? I prefer not to, if I don't have to.
Thanks again, you made my day
Police pensions, along with teachers pensions, local government etc are as Ian says, classed as Government pensions and as such most DTTs EXCLUDE them from relief. For example, my wife receives a teachers pension and a state pension. both of these are excluded from the UK/Philippines DTT so she pays tax in the UK. I have state pension and SERPS plus two small private pensions. I get my private pensions paid gross under the DTT but HMRC tax my State pensions as they are above the tax free limit.Have a look here: INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities Here's the country listing - you'll need to scroll down to USA to see whats included. Unusually, the UK DOES allow State pensions to be paid tax free if you are registered with the IRS as a US tax payer.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_Treaties.pdf

hope this is of some use.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Lab_10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Did you not work out your finances and day to day living expenses before you moved to the US? (albeit still travelling back and forth to the UK by the sounds of it)

You say that you don't think you can survive without your daughter's help, but surely she and you were aware of this?

Is your only income your 11K GBP pension? If so, and with no certainty that you are going to be able to get a job, I would say that living on 14K USD at today's exchange rate is going to be extremely difficult.

Your medical insurance could be a couple of hundred dollars to start with and while you will be eligible for Medicare at 65 (having 5 years as permanent resident) you will still have to pay for Part A (around 400 bucks a month at present. It's hard to see how you can afford your own apartment on 14K a year.

I don't think you can afford to be flying back and forth to Scotland. You've also got to decide to either rent or sell the property in Scotland and cut out the costs.
Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it.
Well, I guess I did not do my homework properly but my daughter and I decided it will be better for all of us if I move here and we will live together.
I hope I will never regret it.
At list I can sleep now and not wondering will I wake up in the morning and when somebody will find me if I won't. It is quite common for my case.
I have decided to sale the property in Scotland but it takes time. Prices there have dropped quite dramatically since we bought this house 7 years ago. This is another quiestion: do I have to pay tax on money I'll get for the house if I loose money selling it?
Thanks again.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Lab_10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quiltman
Police pensions, along with teachers pensions, local government etc are as Ian says, classed as Government pensions and as such most DTTs EXCLUDE them from relief. For example, my wife receives a teachers pension and a state pension. both of these are excluded from the UK/Philippines DTT so she pays tax in the UK. I have state pension and SERPS plus two small private pensions. I get my private pensions paid gross under the DTT but HMRC tax my State pensions as they are above the tax free limit.Have a look here: INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities Here's the country listing - you'll need to scroll down to USA to see whats included. Unusually, the UK DOES allow State pensions to be paid tax free if you are registered with the IRS as a US tax payer.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_Treaties.pdf

hope this is of some use.
I did not think I will get so many replays with very useful information. Thank you.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I don't think this is true at all ...... I get the impression that a great many of the regulars are in their 40s, 50s and 60s.
I agree, there don't seem to be many people here much below 40 - some certainly, but I get the impression that the median age is around 50ish.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it.
Well, I guess I did not do my homework properly but my daughter and I decided it will be better for all of us if I move here and we will live together.
I hope I will never regret it.
At list I can sleep now and not wondering will I wake up in the morning and when somebody will find me if I won't. It is quite common for my case.
I have decided to sale the property in Scotland but it takes time. Prices there have dropped quite dramatically since we bought this house 7 years ago. This is another quiestion: do I have to pay tax on money I'll get for the house if I loose money selling it?
Thanks again.
Because Sterling has fallen the loss in Sterling will be even larger, so apart from FBAR & 8938 reporting, no US tax payable. I don't understand how you can live without healthcare coverage...I wouldn't be able to sleep myself if I knew I could never get ill.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad I came across this forum, it gives so much information in human language. Hopefully somebody is clever and kind enough to help me with my questions.
Four years ago my husband passed away and I lived in Scotland on widows of police officer pension since. This money let me live quite comfortable in the UK. I do pay couple of ponds a month tax on it.
I have my children settled in the US and after a while I decide I could not stand silence in the house and all sorts of things you get after your happy life suddenly ended any more.
I have arrived here on 1st November on immigrant visa from the UK on family reunion grounds. I have received my SSN and waiting for GC. I live with my daughter and her partner in Virginia. I won't be working at all for this year in the USA. I am 60, so I am not sure I can find a suitable job even later on.
I started to read about taxes and health care and after month of reading I don't get anywhere. Maybe because I am not so clever and English is not my mother tongue?
Can anyone help me with some questions?

1. Should I file my income for this tax year? (I am here November and December, GC hasn't arrived yet).
I have a house and some savings more then $10k in the UK.
I have read some topics and it seems I don't have to file my tax return 2016.

2. How I define myself (I only understood I file as a single person)
Am I nonresident until I get GC? Then I become a resident?

3. Do I pay any income tax here if I get £11k a year pension only?

3. Is anything I should pay upfront?

4. Do I have to inform the UK taxman about my move? I think next tax year I won't pay any tax in the UK because tax free income allowance will completely cover my pension.

5. What is a best way to file: a calendar year or a fiscal year? Can I choose? It seems if I can file from April to March like in the UK it will be easier to count my income with one only document from the UK?

I have read Convention between US and UK especially the Article 17 and 18
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...s/uktreaty.pdf
but it hasn't make things any more clear.

I really prefer my daughter move to The UK, but she won't.

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you
Have you considered working at time ? If you UK pension tax-free in US, a part time job could be nice supplement. It is hard for many jobs if one is 60, age discrimination is a big factor in US, but there are many part time jobs in shops or in health/senior care that would be available and your "foreign accent" would actually be a benefit. I am not recommending it, but I know in my area I notice in some stores because of difficulty with younger staff some stores prefer older workers, I noticed a few older Brits or Aussies working part time and steady work in some stores.

Don't know if your immigration status precludes health care from Medicaid, but I think Obamacare/ACA may be an option, at least to cover catastrophic medical issues.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Can you be added to your daughter's health insurance?
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Can you be added to your daughter's health insurance?
That is highly unlikely - she'd have to be classified as a dependent for that to be possible, and as she has a house and pension income I don't believe she could be described as dependant.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 11th 2016 at 1:00 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is highly unlikely - she'd have to be classified as a dependent for that to be possible, and as she has a house and pension income I don't believe she could be described as dependant.
I thought generally to be classified as a dependent most places go by whether you claim the person on your tax return. If I recall there are some rules about what percentage of a persons expenses are covered to be classified as a dependent. I don't recall when listing dependents for medical insurance them requesting a tax return. Though I guess with a pension, and if living separately hard to justify being a dependant.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth
I thought generally to be classified as a dependent most places go by whether you claim the person on your tax return. If I recall there are some rules about what percentage of a persons expenses are covered to be classified as a dependent. I don't recall when listing dependents for medical insurance them requesting a tax return. ....
Yeah, you're right, I'd forgotten that. I get the impression that you have to be providing most of the requirements for living for them to be claimable on your tax return - i.e. that without you they'd be close to destitute.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you're right, I'd forgotten that. I get the impression that you have to be providing most of the requirements for living for them to be claimable on your tax return - i.e. that without you they'd be close to destitute.
sounds like the OP should be able to get on her daughter's plan then?
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
sounds like the OP should be able to get on her daughter's plan then?

She's 60, owns a home, can travel internationally, and has a pension sufficient for her to "live quite comfortablely". I doubt she would meet the definition of being dependant unless at least three of those things change (and specifically including her income and housing) - so much older, no longer has (sufficient resources to pay for) housing, unable to go out on her own, and insufficient income to live on.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 11th 2016 at 2:08 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

She's 60, owns a home, can travel internationally, and has a pension sufficient for her to "live quite comfortablely". I doubt she would meet the definition of being dependant unless at least three of those things change (and specifically including her income and housing) - so much older, no longer has (sufficient resources to pay for) housing, unable to go out on her own, and insufficient income to live on.
I thought her income was $14k and she will be living with her daughter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.