Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Firefighter's

Wikiposts

Firefighter's

Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:19 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firefighter's

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Do you have more problem with contractions or the genitive?
How long is a piece of problem?

To the OP: Everyone and their dogs are firefighters around here. And they're all EMTs and wildland / forest firefighters / search and rescue as well. And many of them have done time in the Emergency Room. And the rest are on the Ski Patrol. And the rest of the rest are rangers on federal or state land. And there's a long line of kids like AWP says. Best look elsewhere - it's not going to happen.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Do you have more problem with contractions or the genitive?
Its a tricky one...see! There it goes again! I guess it's the contractions that are the most perplexing. The genitive is more....obvious. Unless the possessor noun ends in an "I" of course.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
But you end up confusing people. I'm sure some look to you for guidance on many of life's mysteries!
Oh yes they do seem to. Mysteries of the Karma Sutra mostly.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The genitive is more....obvious. Unless the possessor noun ends in an "I" of course.

Give me an example.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

To the OP: Everyone and their dogs are firefighters around here. And they're all EMTs and wildland / forest firefighters / search and rescue as well. And many of them have done time in the Emergency Room. And the rest are on the Ski Patrol. And the rest of the rest are rangers on federal or state land. And there's a long line of kids like AWP says. Best look elsewhere - it's not going to happen.
That, and the pay if they get it, is shite, and around here, nearly all of them are voluntary...
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:25 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That, and the pay if they get it, is shite, and around here, nearly all of them are voluntary...

Think they're mainly volunteers round here as well - although most of the firestations seem to have semipermanent recruiting signs out.
I called the number once (bored!) but was told I didn't stand a chance because of my status (?? green card!!) and my age...........
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Think they're mainly volunteers round here as well - although most of the firestations seem to have semipermanent recruiting signs out.
I called the number once (bored!) but was told I didn't stand a chance because of my status (?? green card!!) and my age...........
FIL was the super where they live for a few years, and well, he got a stipend to go to some conference things to learn about new learning things and the like to bring back to the area, and they got a small stipend for each call out they made, but it was peanuts...I think they do it just to get the firefighters plates to get out of a speeding ticket, I know FIL still has his plates and hasn't had a ticket since he was the super *lol*
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

But you end up confusing people.
Said the queen of latin gibberish!!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

And your personal rules on the use of apostrophes are?
Have you looked in the youth forum? It's (note correct use) total gibberish.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Have you looked in the youth forum? It's (note correct use) total gibberish.
Looked in it????? I f**king live in it!!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:43 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hi......i'm a firefighter in the UK and was wondering if anyone here knew whether it's possible to apply to be firefighter's in the US ?
Any help or advise gratefully received....

Ali.
Erm...firefighters here have to be very sexy looking and rippled with muscles......a spot in the annual firefighters calendar is a must...I'll expect that you'll first have to post a shirtless picci before your resume...why not post a picci here and I'm sure a few of us will be able to give you a precise an un biased run down of your future prospects
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

It is unlikely you could work as a firefighter in the US without first being a US CITIZEN.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cabritpop
It is unlikely you could work as a firefighter in the US without first being a US CITIZEN.
Or permanent resident.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Or permanent resident.
see mine above - I was told my GC status would be a problem, which i don't really understand.....
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:22 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm thinking it will be quite good for hubby when we move back to England then? By then he should have been through the academy & been working as a Fireman for a year or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.