Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

On the finishing straight...

On the finishing straight...

Old Jul 8th 2015, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the finishing straight...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is why it makes sense to do as much as you possibly can ahead of time. I am amazed at how many people plan on going shopping for vehicles in the days after they arrive, as if they don’t have enough to do with driving licenses, opening a bank account, insurance (car and medical), finding a home, getting their children into school, coordinating delivery of their stuff, setting up utilities, etc, etc. It makes a huge amount of sense to get a car (at least one) ordered ahead of time for most people.
Yep, you've finally got through to me! Cars will be ordered early next week (as soon as I make my mind up what I want!)

Originally Posted by Tom1981
I agree re the cars - remember that with IAS, you have to place the order before arriving in the US (personally, I've been impressed with them so far, so would recommend them).

Other stuff you might want to think about:

- Mail redirection with Royal Mail (if you want to do this)
- Healthcare cover in the US, if your other half doesn't get immediate coverage through his job (there's a decent recent thread on this)
- Check out banking arrangements - I was able to set one up in advance due to my employer's corporate relationship with HSBC, so worth checking if your OH has access to anything similar (it came with a credit card, which has proved to be very handy indeed)

Good luck with your move - exciting times ahead
Mail redirection is on my list.
Healthcare sorted as OH has been working between Chicago and UK office since January.
We've been HSBC Premier customers since 2011 and although their branch network is non-existent in Il, the dollar account we have set up will serve its purpose until I can sort local banking out.

Lots to do...
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Busy last couple of days...

26 days to go

Up with the lark (well 5.45am) as youngest son is going on a school trip to Alton Towers today. Dropped him off at 6.30am.

Contacted the GP surgery to make sure the kids had had all the necessary vaccinations that the school district asks for. Obtained their vaccination records and a copy of their medical notes detailing when they had had chicken pox.

Cleaned the house from top to bottom as the rental agency is coming to take photographs. Two runs to the tip/recycling centre and a couple of runs to the charity shop.

Received and completed a pre-rental application, gathered all the info they asked for in lieu of being able to do their normal checks:

* Copy of husband's offer letter/contract of employment
* Reference contacts
* Copies of our UK Credit Reports - I used the Experian free trial service (cancelled immediately after downloading the reports)

Sent everything back to the potential landlord for them to review and scheduled a call for the next day.

Picked up the cat's 'pet passport', scanned it and uploaded it to PetAir UK to confirm his jabs history.

Trip to into the city to get last minute things for the music festival my daughter is going to this weekend.

Need to figure out if I can fit in a trip to Ireland to see my sister. She and her kids were due to fly over on Sunday for 10 days, doing the rounds seeing family etc, but her husband as been taken to hospital and is awaiting surgery. Her trip looks like it's off.

25 days to go

Photographer and managing agent due at 9.30am so woke the teenagers up and checked their rooms were still ok. Went through the management agreement with the agent, trying for a higher rent so that we come down to what we want and the tenant feels like they've got a deal too! Management fee reduced from 15% to 12.5% too, with no set up or up front fees. Large family rental houses are like hen's teeth in our area.

Reviewed a lease for a temporary 8 week furnished let that we had found by looking on VRBO. We'd found this by enquiring about another property that wasn't available for all our dates and explaining to the owner that we were looking for a furnished place and did he know of any. Turns out he has a regular let that the tenant was due to move out of at the end of July. It was unfurnished, but he would furnish it for us. For 8 weeks, we were prepared to take it sight unseen as husband has spent a lot of time in the neighbourhood over the past few months. Couple of things in the lease that I was uncomfortable with so composed an email to negotiate changes. Came back with the changes I'd asked for.

Spoke to the shipping company to confirm their timing for each day and completed the customs forms.

Asked my FIL to look into selling my car. We're going to keep my son's small car in storage for a year as his plan is to return to the UK next Sept to take up his uni place he's deferred the entry to. Lease on my husband's car was up at the end of June, but we extended it by a month.

Had a call with the owner of the house we are looking at for rent long term. Agreed a date of September 1st to start the lease. Now waiting for the lease to be sent for review.

Spent the whole of the evening and most of the night cleaning up after my youngest son who has a tummy bug. Thank goodness the photographer came earlier!!! Very broken night's sleep :-(

24 days to go

After an awful night, I'm up again super early. This time to drop my daughter off for her coach to the T in the Park festival. Pick up was at 5.30am so of course she was up at 4 to 'curl her hair'

As soon as my husband leaves for work, I'm going back to bed for a few hours. When Chicago starts its working day, I'll get the signed lease for the temp accommodation sent out and arrange for the company to pay the deposit and rental fees!

Last edited by loubiblu; Jul 9th 2015 at 7:27 am. Reason: Couple of typos
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it warms up a bit for you by the time you arrive. Bloody miserable Summer so far. We're averaging way below normal temperatures. 8th coolest Summer since 1871 so far, for what it's worth.

July’s off to 8th coolest start since 1871 and running 5-deg behind a year ago; warmth/humidity return this weekend amid t-storm clusters | Chicago Weather Center: Skilling's Forecast and Chicago Severe Weather Alerts
Old Jul 13th 2015, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Day 24 cont...

Signed the lease for our temporary home and emailed back a scanned copy. The landlord then sent it back with their signature on it so I gave the go ahead to the FD to pay the deposit and rent. We have somewhere to stay when we arrive

Dropped our signed management agreement off to the letting agent and arranged for an EPC inspection for the next day. Our house can't be marketed without one. Retained a gas safety inspector to come and do the gas checks when we have a tenant. Booked an electrician to PAT teat the white goods we are leaving and to certify that out wiring and fuse board is up to standard. Unlike the gas safety certificate, these are not legal requirements, but we do have a statutory duty to ensure the electrics are safe.

23 and 22 days to go

Friends hosted a garden party so we could use up some of our alcohol stocks! We need to drink our house dry over the next 3 weeks. I was fairly sensible as I cycled the Blackpool to Manchester ride yesterday!

21 days to go

Gave notice to our cable provider and informed the Council of our moving date for Council Tax purposes.

I'm working this afternoon and this evening so no other 'move' stuff today.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really enjoying your countdown posts, loubiblu, it's taking me right back to 2011 when I had a similarly hectic to-do list when we moved from Switzerland to here, de registering from schools, trying to organize the end of our rental lease there (you have to find a new tenant and return the property in as-new freshly-painted condition), how we'd return the company car but then get us and 9 suitcases to the airport, all that sort of thing.

If you have time, I'd love to read similar Day 1, 3, 5, Week 1 sort of posts on the other side after you land, to us know your early impressions as you overcome the initial bureaucracy and settle in.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 3:36 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I'm really enjoying your countdown posts, loubiblu, it's taking me right back to 2011 when I had a similarly hectic to-do list when we moved from Switzerland to here, de registering from schools, trying to organize the end of our rental lease there (you have to find a new tenant and return the property in as-new freshly-painted condition), how we'd return the company car but then get us and 9 suitcases to the airport, all that sort of thing.
I'm enjoying this thread too!

My kids are all grown now, and our last country move (UK to US) was just the husband & me. But your posts remind me of the previous 3 moves when we had the kids and dog as well as what seemed an enormous amount of "stuff" to organize and move over oceans.

I felt my life was hectic to the point of near-insanity for those moves, lol. I can't believe how calmly you're writing about yours.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Just when we though we too were on the finishing straight - the tenants for our house have pulled out and my husband's new boss is leaving. Stress levels rising even higher now!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springy6
.... - the tenants for our house have pulled out ....... Stress levels rising even higher now!
Never rely on tenants for anything. Assume each month that they will skip out before paying the next month's rent and leave the place filthy. Then be surprised when they don't. Any other mind-set will cause perpetual stress.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Loubiblu, with regard to your children, make sure you bring out a copy of the their immunisations. Ask your doctor to print out a list of them with dates etc. for each child, I found this will be very handy when enrolling the kids at their schools, as you normally have to prove they have had them. Mine were 15 and 12 when we moved to California.

If possible for your 16 year old, try to get any of her teachers, including the head of the school, to write her a personal recommendation, these maybe handy for college applications in the future, if she decide's to stay long term.

Good Luck with the move!
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Never rely on tenants for anything. Assume each month that they will skip out before paying the next month's rent and leave the place filthy. Then be surprised when they don't. Any other mind-set will cause perpetual stress.
Yep! That's why we are selling our other house that we rent out! Been nothing but a ball ache this last 12 months!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Apologies for my apparent neglect of this thread! Where have the past 2 weeks gone? I'll do a proper update later today.

Originally Posted by CKB40
Loubiblu, with regard to your children, make sure you bring out a copy of the their immunisations. Ask your doctor to print out a list of them with dates etc. for each child, I found this will be very handy when enrolling the kids at their schools, as you normally have to prove they have had them. Mine were 15 and 12 when we moved to California.

If possible for your 16 year old, try to get any of her teachers, including the head of the school, to write her a personal recommendation, these maybe handy for college applications in the future, if she decide's to stay long term.

Good Luck with the move!
Vaccination records done and I got my BiL (he's a Dr) to check them against the school district list to see if any were missing. Also have their notes from when they had chicken pox.

I've got school reports from yr7 onwards. Her school sends out a progress report every 6 weeks, plus a comprehensive full report at the end of the year. Excellent idea re personal letters, I'll try and speak to a few of her teachers.

Last edited by loubiblu; Jul 27th 2015 at 7:15 am. Reason: Far too many typos!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent, sounds like your all set.
Good luck with the move