Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding out where e-mails are coming from

Finding out where e-mails are coming from

Old May 11th 2004, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Finding out where e-mails are coming from

I've been getting some e-mails that are a little odd and I'm wondering if there is anyway I can find out where they are coming from - with respect to location, (i.e. UK or US). Does anyone know how to find this out? I use talk21.com and Yahoo.com if that makes any difference. Thanks
Old May 11th 2004, 11:02 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finding out where e-mails are coming from

Originally posted by whatever
I've been getting some e-mails that are a little odd and I'm wondering if there is anyway I can find out where they are coming from - with respect to location, (i.e. UK or US). Does anyone know how to find this out? I use talk21.com and Yahoo.com if that makes any difference. Thanks
Look at the header information on them and run a whois/traceroute etc on the sender's IP.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:05 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding out where e-mails are coming from

Originally posted by whatever
They don't have a .pif file or a .zip file attached to them to they? Don't open the file! I've been getting some dodgy ones like that, apparently it's a strain of the Netsky virus.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should post this....

I have had a load of Emails lately with virus's.... subject heading Re: Thanks and things simple like that.....

Luckily they are scanned prior to delivery, we have good security on the puter...... so no harm done......

Haven't had this many ever..........

???????????? coincidence?????????????????
Old May 11th 2004, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I had a spate of them on talk21 a while back, and at least one of them had a nasty attached to it that even Norton Anti Virus couldn't spot.

I ended up having to completely rebuild my PC.

After that I stopped using the Talk21 POP servers and only use the online viewer. I NEVER open an attachment now unless I know exactly what it is...
Old May 11th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveC and Honeymommy: Yes there are sometimes attachments and I never open them. I too have subjects like 're: thanks for your e-mail' and 're:urgent' I'm sure they start them off with 're' so it looks like I e-mailed them first... very sneaky!

Ulujain... I have no idea how to run a whois/traceroute... can you help me out?

Thanks guys
Old May 11th 2004, 11:21 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

The IP address is the address for the specific computer you're getting the emails from.

To get the IP address if you're using Outlook right click on the email and look for properties. The IP addy will be a series of numbers. Then copy and paste the numbers into a prog like this one...

http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm

If you're using web based mail just look at the header info. Remember to run a virus scan and update your definitions.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:46 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Big Vern
I ended up having to completely rebuild my PC.
Never heard of a virus destroying a whole computer before.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:48 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Use full headers view or whatever Outlook Express offers. You'll see a bunch of stuff that may look like this:

Return-path: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:01:44 -0400
Received: from ulujain by mecca.myhostdns.com with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.24)
id 1BGo8W-0005Vk-7s
for [email protected]; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:01:44 -0400
Received: from [66.163.170.83] (helo=smtp813.mail.sc5.yahoo.com)
by mecca.myhostdns.com with smtp (Exim 4.24)
id 1BGo8V-0005Vd-W4
for [email protected]; Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:01:44 -0400
Received: from unknown (HELO KHHK) ([email protected]@68.75.30.241 with login)
by smtp813.mail.sc5.yahoo.com with SMTP; 22 Apr 2004 23:57:37 -0000
Message-ID: <000701c428c5$ab12f070$6de3fea9@KHHK>

See the bit in bold? That's what to look for.
Then go to http://www.whois.sc and enter that number to find out the iowner of the IP block. The whois info should return an abusae address. Forward the entire email to that abuse address.

Hope this helps!
Old May 12th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I receive about 50% bogus/virus emails as described above, this started about 3months ago when I moved to the US. This is on an email addy that I use on 5 forums and for personal stuff like emailing friends.. I use a different one for registering things and the like.... I have now been informed that spyware basically distribites your email addy from peoples addressbooks, from messenger lists, from anything it can find. Personally I use a spybot (ultimategeek) which find all immediately tho you do have to pay. Others may not and I'm guessing this is where the problem came from; someone elses machine being accessed without them knowing.

Once you're on the lists, you on for life.... when my spam/virus level reaches more than 60% I'll simply change email addy... its a problem with most email addys these days. My Hotmail account is 90% spam but I only use that one for messenger.

The return path is 99% bogus too BTW.
Old May 12th 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Never heard of a virus destroying a whole computer before.
Nah, it didn't burst into flames or anything, I just meant my hard disk, reinstalling the operating system etc. It didn't matter how many fixes and anti virus checks I ran, it still couldn't shift the problem.

So it was time for a low level format....
Old May 12th 2004, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting you say that, since moving to States I have same problem with several sendings of the Netsky viruses everyday, I actually don't get the e-mails my server stops them and sends me a message to let me know about it, very luck I would say or I would be mega infected!!!
Suzie
Old May 12th 2004, 7:28 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by USBound
I receive about 50% bogus/virus emails as described above, this started about 3months ago when I moved to the US. This is on an email addy that I use on 5 forums and for personal stuff like emailing friends.. I use a different one for registering things and the like.... I have now been informed that spyware basically distribites your email addy from peoples addressbooks, from messenger lists, from anything it can find. Personally I use a spybot (ultimategeek) which find all immediately tho you do have to pay. Others may not and I'm guessing this is where the problem came from; someone elses machine being accessed without them knowing.

Once you're on the lists, you on for life.... when my spam/virus level reaches more than 60% I'll simply change email addy... its a problem with most email addys these days. My Hotmail account is 90% spam but I only use that one for messenger.

The return path is 99% bogus too BTW.

Whats a good one to use to check for spyware and where do you get it. I would like to check my computer for spyware as my paranoia level has been well up lately!
Old May 12th 2004, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

While we're on this subject of tracing e-mails.... I have a French friend that has been living in the UK for many years now but she e-mailed me the other day and I can't tell if it is from the UK or France. I wanted to visit her but I don't know where she is. I know the simple way to find out is to ask her but I only get occasional e-mails as she is traumatised and beside herself trying to cope with her toddler whos is terminally ill. I really wanted to see her and the little one before I left the UK as it has been a few months since I last went to her house. They were having treatment at Great Ormond St but things have become too advanced and I suspect they may have gone back to France to be with family.... it's terribly terribly heartbreaking.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to see which country she was in when she last wrote to me? - I suspect it is France which would make it really hard to accept that I won't be able to see them.
Thanks everyone.
Old May 12th 2004, 12:19 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
Whats a good one to use to check for spyware and where do you get it. I would like to check my computer for spyware as my paranoia level has been well up lately!
Spybot is very good for keeping spyware out or removing it.

On the subject of Netsky/Sasser etc. There is a free download at McAfee's website called Stinger.exe which will remove about 40 current infections. I downloaded it on a clean PC, burned it to a CD and used it to clean out a Sasser infection from a friend's PC yesterday. Worked like a dream.

Stinger from McAfee

Spybot download

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.