Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job without a ss number

Finding a job without a ss number

Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Mister_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job without a ss number

Hey guys, before you say anything let me explain my situation.

Basically, I have a place at NYU studying for a masters. However that starts in May and thats when my student visa begins.

However I am living in NYC on a tourist visa until the end of April, then I will return to England, get my student visa and then return.

Until then, I would like to find some sort of job, even though i'm only on a tourist visa but i've been told I will be able to find cash in hand work, at a bar or suchlike.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job without a ss number

My advice would be look into the penalties for working illegally, then decide if it's worth it. Personally I would forget the idea.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mister_Sam View Post
I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.
That would be better than asking on the internet.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, I have a place at NYU studying for a masters. However that starts in May and thats when my student visa begins.

However I am living in NYC on a tourist visa until the end of April, then I will return to England, get my student visa and then return.

Until then, I would like to find some sort of job, even though i'm only on a tourist visa but i've been told I will be able to find cash in hand work, at a bar or suchlike.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.
Yes...don't ask on a public forum how to obtain work illegally
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

On second thought, can you handle a rake and a lawnmower?

The U.S. job office for people in your situation is called "Home Depot" It's a big orange and white building, they are in most cities and suburbs. You should see a group of fellows standing around in the parking lot. Join the group and before you know it, you'll be employed!

Last edited by another bloody yank; Feb 7th 2007 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Mister_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
That would be better than asking on the internet.
Well, im only asking, nothing illegal in that.

Also, I wouldnt use my real name on a public forum would I?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, im only asking, nothing illegal in that.
Actually I think soliciting for work might be.
Check out your local irish bar would be my suggestion.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You ain't allowed to work on the VWP, it'll throw major spanners in the works and get you deported.

Student visa, you wouldn't be allowed to work for the first semester, and when allowed to work, it will only be on campus work...to get the visa in the first place, you have to show that you had the funds to support yourself to begin with, so how did you get around that?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

As you have said, you can try asking in bars and what have you.

But being as you will have little to gain, and a lot to lose as you are pending a proper visa, I wouldn't want to risk it personally. Why not go back to England now, get a job in a bar in London, then come back in May? You'll get to spend plenty of time in New York after that, if you want to build up some cash in the meantime, go home and build it, to be safe.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

A tourist visa is just that. It's for visitors and not for those who will work in the US. If you're short of money, it'd be best to return to the UK and work till you begin your Masters.

If you're serious about studying in the US and you already have the student visa ready to activate, why are you jeopardizing that?