Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job in USA?

Wikiposts

Finding a job in USA?

Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in USA?

Originally Posted by Dave2726
And your point is...? I wasn't aware that the age of a thread somehow made it inappropriate for further discussion. If this is the case, then when is the cut-off? When should I post a new thread and force people to duplicate previous discussion?? The topic is still relevant obviously for at least two of us and no doubt will remain so for some time.
There's no problem per se, just be aware that the OP has only made 11 posts, none of them since January (almost nine months ago), so it is highly unlikely they will see your post. IMHO if you want to recycle this thread and tap into the knowledge of other regular posters, I don't see a problem with that.

BTW FYI Threads are locked after a year of inactivity.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's no problem per se, just be aware that the OP has only made 11 posts, none of them since January (almost nine months ago), so it is highly unlikely they will see your post. IMHO if you want to recycle this thread and tap into the knowledge of other regular posters, I don't see a problem with that.

Thanks Pulaski! My intention was purely to recycle the thread as you suggest. Interesting to note that there is an expiration after 1 year.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

With that specific a question, I believe a new thread is warranted. After all, posters are generally more inclined to look at new threads over old ones.

I didn't know that, actually.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

. I am an Aeronautical Engineer with 5 years of defence industry based rotorcraft experience here in the UK. I will shortly be applying for, and hopefully being accredited with, Chartered Engineer status which is recognised around the world as a Gold standard in Engineering competence. Will this copy across to a P.E. License, or could it be a case by case thing dependent on the state? I ask because my long term intentions are to move to Texas with my USC wife and I'd like to find a job when I do!
Every state has different requirements. Many states don't even recognise Aero Eng as a licensable discipline, though many do. Some will be relatively easy, others next to impossible. It is important to get licensed in any state; not necessarily the state where you wil be working (though that would obviously be ideal). You have research to do. http://ncees.org/licensing-boards/

It is 10 times easier to get an engineering job if you have a PE license. I'm talking about real engineering, not software or semiconductors. With a P.E. license employers will come looking for you (but not with the best paying jobs!)
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Every state has different requirements. Many states don't even recognise Aero Eng as a licensable discipline, though many do. Some will be relatively easy, others next to impossible. It is important to get licensed in any state; not necessarily the state where you wil be working (though that would obviously be ideal). You have research to do. http://ncees.org/licensing-boards/

It is 10 times easier to get an engineering job if you have a PE license. I'm talking about real engineering, not software or semiconductors. With a P.E. license employers will come looking for you (but not with the best paying jobs!)
Hi Holly,

Thanks for your reply. I think it's better to assume my chances will be much better being licensed. I am intrigued as to what standing a CEng status (legally recognised in the UK/EU) would have and whether it would read across and allow a waiver of some of the requirements. Obviously that's going to be case by case and so, to that end, I am going to contact a few of the state licensing boards and present that case to see what they say. For the benefit of others, I will post a brief praises of the answers I get. Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

... I am intrigued as to what standing a CEng status (legally recognised in the UK/EU) would have and whether it would read across and allow a waiver of some of the requirements. ...
Yes in some States, no in most States.

They will be primarily interested in your professional references from professional supervisors and peers at former employers. Four would be roughly the right number.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Just an update for those interested...

I had a reply from the Texas board of Engineering regards any kind of recognition of the UK/EU CEng qualification. They don't have any procedures in place for reciprocation so I would have to go through the process like any other applicant from within the US. I suspect this will be the case with other boards too.

Of note my academic qualifications being accredited by the UK Engineering Council and several other British based Engineering Institutions as a pathway to CEng status, are recognised as an ABET equivalent under the Washington Accord and so would not have to be vetted for equivalence as might be otherwise required.

After 8 years of experience, under Texas rules, I would qualify for a waiver of the FE exam. Although another 3 years verses 8 hours of answering questions, I think I'd be quite happy to take the exam.

Anyway, I trust this is helpful for any of my Engineering brethren with similar questions about P.E. licensing.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:26 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I trust this is helpful for any of my Engineering brethren with similar questions about P.E. licensing.
And sisters too, dammit... I work for an oil and gas engineering firm in Texas, Dave, and you should keep an ear out for what you say, if nothing else. If you really do look down on female engineers, then... but I'll keep that opinion to myself; it didn't go down very well with my old-fashioned engineer father.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Speedwell you really need to change your avatar back, I don't do well with change
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Speedwell you really need to change your avatar back, I don't do well with change
You be me both. I tend to recognise people by their avi and it really throws me when they change it.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

My wife is a USC, she had to support me financially for the first year whilst I waited for a green card to be issued, no company had to sponser me.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
And sisters too, dammit... I work for an oil and gas engineering firm in Texas, Dave, and you should keep an ear out for what you say, if nothing else. If you really do look down on female engineers, then... but I'll keep that opinion to myself; it didn't go down very well with my old-fashioned engineer father.
Nothing against female Engineers at all. I have the greatest of respect for all in our profession as, having been in it for quite a few years now, I know what we have all been through to get here! We built the world everyone else lives in
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
My wife is a USC, she had to support me financially for the first year whilst I waited for a green card to be issued, no company had to sponsor me.
Without some explanation that is a fairly odd thing to say, because a spouse visa normally comes with the right to work the moment you step off the plane (technically, I suppose, "clear immigration"), and in any case a spouse visa never requires a sponsoring company.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:12 am
Often not so civil...

One wonders if he applied for AoS from the VWP or a B2. Either way I agree, it's a totally incorrect statement.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted on the wrong thread, duh.

Anyway, I have been working with an Architect who is a PE and now am working with one who is not.

PE rules.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Sep 7th 2013 at 3:32 pm.