Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job in USA?

Wikiposts

Finding a job in USA?

Old Dec 28th 2012, 4:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job in USA?

Originally Posted by davejenk477
Thanks for the advice guys, ill definitely have a look at LinkedIn, never used it before but it sounds like it might be useful.

My first option is to see if I could transfer my job through my current company, but I'm not sure if this will be possible. .....
Don't hold your breath waiting for LinkedIn to deliver a job. It seems to vary considerably by business sector how effective it is - I have had only several solicitations (no more than 2 per year), but I hear those in technology/ e-businesses get offers frequently. Unless you happen to luck up and find acquaintances already in the US realistically it is a very long shot to help you in your situation.

Despite all the other advice here, getting an employer transfer should be your first priority, but speaking from experience, be sure in every conversation, phone call, meeting, and e-mail, to state that you do NOT require visa sponsorship, that your wife is a USC and you will get your own visa. I got burned after negotiating a transfer with an employer with US operations, making an exploratory two week visit to their Chicago office with good feedback, only to be told a transfer "wasn't possible". I didn't pursue the matter, but I am certain that HR in Chicago took a look, without all the details of my circumstances, and said "we won't foot the bill for a visa"
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Why does the OP's wife have to be sonsord when she is a USC ?
True it was a long time ago (1974) when i, a Brit, and my wife, a USC, came over. Niether of us had a job so my father-in-law sponsord me.

Charles
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Why does the OP's wife have to be sonsord when she is a USC ?
True it was a long time ago (1974) when i, a Brit, and my wife, a USC, came over. Niether of us had a job so my father-in-law sponsord me.

Charles
US spouse has to be the sponsor. If the spouse doesn't meet the income requirements they can use another person (like you had your Father in law) to make up the income to required amount
The US wife isn't being sponsored she is the sponsor.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
US spouse has to be the sponsor. If the spouse doesn't meet the income requirements they can use another person (like you had your Father in law) to make up the income to required amount
The US wife isn't being sponsored she is the sponsor.
OK, thanks. I do not remember an income requirement but if there was one back then it must have been rather low as my father-in-law did not make much money and i had to get a job.

Charles
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

davejenk477 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice guys, I think we will go down the route of getting a spousal visa using my father in law as a joint sponsor, then seeing if I could possibly get a job with my current companies US branch.

One last question, do any of you know, after receiving a spousal visa for the USA, how long do you have in which to use it? For example, if we received a spousal visa in, say, November, when would we need to enter the US by?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejenk477
One last question, do any of you know, after receiving a spousal visa for the USA, how long do you have in which to use it? For example, if we received a spousal visa in, say, November, when would we need to enter the US by?
Six months from the date the medical was done. That typically turns out to be about 4 to 5 months after the visa interview.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Mine was valid for six months after the visa was issued, which was a couple of days after the interview and about a week after the medical.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Mine was valid for six months after the visa was issued, which was a couple of days after the interview and about a week after the medical.
The rules just recently changed (maybe only a few months ago), and now the visas are valid for 6 months from the date the medical was done.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Networking.
Rene
Originally Posted by md95065
Yes - that is probably the single best chance that you have. ....
Civil Engineering is a special case.
It won't be hard to get a job as a CE if you get that PE license (in any of the 50 states, not necessarily where you will work). See
http://contractscentral.net/staterequirementsand and click on reciprocity

Without the PE license it won't be easy (but not impossible for a junior position) to get a job in Civil Engineering (you would not be allowed to be "in responsible charge" or certify drawings).
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice

Hi I am in exactly the same situation, however a little further down the line. I am a Consultant Engineer, my wife is a USC. We plan to move to ME/NH. LinkedIn is very good, I have had limited sucsess with recruitment agencies.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

*facepalm*

And the award for dumbest first post 2013 goes too....
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Civil Engineering is a special case.
It won't be hard to get a job as a CE if you get that PE license (in any of the 50 states, not necessarily where you will work). See
http://contractscentral.net/staterequirementsand and click on reciprocity

Without the PE license it won't be easy (but not impossible for a junior position) to get a job in Civil Engineering (you would not be allowed to be "in responsible charge" or certify drawings).
Interesting thread. Sorry to hijack it slightly... I am an Aeronautical Engineer with 5 years of defence industry based rotorcraft experience here in the UK. I will shortly be applying for, and hopefully being accredited with, Chartered Engineer status which is recognised around the world as a Gold standard in Engineering competence. Will this copy across to a P.E. License, or could it be a case by case thing dependent on the state? I ask because my long term intentions are to move to Texas with my USC wife and I'd like to find a job when I do!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, THIS IS AN 8 MONTH OLD THREAD.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Originally Posted by civilservant
Once again, THIS IS AN 8 MONTH OLD THREAD.
And your point is...? I wasn't aware that the age of a thread somehow made it inappropriate for further discussion. If this is the case, then when is the cut-off? When should I post a new thread and force people to duplicate previous discussion?? The topic is still relevant obviously for at least two of us and no doubt will remain so for some time.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:55 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

yeah... if the OP had posted a new thread, he would have probably been told to go search the forums anyway... no worries, CS, stand down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.