Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a good school...

Finding a good school...

Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finding a good school...

US Schools suck. Unless you can afford outragous fees for private schools.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oblivion
I don't think my kids are brilliant, far from it. It's just that they start school a year earlier here in the UK to what they do in the states. We aren't certain that we would stay in the U.S. long term, and if we didn't get on there then we wouldn't want the kids to come back and be in a year lower than they should be just because kids in the states aren't given credit (or outlets) for what they're capable of.

I'd feel I was holding them back if I made them wait until nearly 6 before even starting kindergarten.
It does vary a lot by state. When we were here 3 years ago for 6 months the kids were in an elementary school in the LA District. Everyone in England was saying "Your kids will be streets ahead". However, partly due to a large proportion of Korean and Japanese students the standards were extremely high and we found our kids to be doing work ahead of their English work. Now we are living in the suburbs, but they work them pretty hard, there is a lot of homework, grading and testing. Math(s) and science I would say are far in advance of what they were doing in England.

They do also have a good programme for "Gifted and talented" kids here.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My neighbour used to say 'There's only one child top of the class and it belongs to every mother'.
LOL My cousin's kids were touted as total geniuses - both now working as hairdressers with no qualifications.

I constantly have to hear how my nephew is Top of the Class. Strange how all he does is go on MySpace and has no plans for further education.