Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding Employment Issues!

Finding Employment Issues!

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of
Default Re: Finding Employment Issues!

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Stating you have a degree when you don't is definitely a recipe for disaster imo and if found out subsequent to employment starting can well lead to dismissal (I've seen this happen a couple of times). Tailoring a resumé to a particular job, though, is commonsense, as is maximising one's past whilst staying within the bounds of truth.
Yup

My company hired someone (well qualified including Masters degree and all the trimmings), the job offer came 'subject to references'; when they discovered that he had enhanced his current salary (not by much mind), the job offer was rescinded. Too bad that he had already told his current employer.

If you can't trust someone to be honest, they they didn't want him on the job despite being a niche market, them having looked for months for the right person and everything else about him looked great.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
When I look at LinkedIn profiles of nearly all my colleagues from the Hedge Fund firm I worked for (I was there for 10 years) they have all put that they were Managers or Directors or directly responsible for blah blah.. what a joke - we had a very flat structure and had no job titles and some of them were let go because they were incompetent!
I've noticed that too for the odd person, stuff that goes well above inflating what their responsibilities or title ever was.

It's a little cheeky.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
I've noticed that too for the odd person, stuff that goes well above inflating what their responsibilities or title ever was.

It's a little cheeky.
A bit pointless since embellishments of that nature usually get found out. Best to stick to the truth: it's a lot easier to remember!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely feel for the OP. My ex had no college degree either and has found it impossible to break out of the cycle of barwork despite being a capable and likable young woman.

Unless you know someone personally who can give you a break I don't think there is an easy way out of the cycle other than capitulating and going to college to get your piece of paper.

For what it's worth I think university can be an incredible experience if you make choices wisely, regardless of your age.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
A bit pointless since embellishments of that nature usually get found out. Best to stick to the truth: it's a lot easier to remember!
Sad thing is, it hasn't. Also very good at hiding ineptitude on to others, thus getting promoted onwards and upwards while leaving everyone else in the shit.

Joyful
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by caleyjag
For what it's worth I think university can be an incredible experience if you make choices wisely, regardless of your age.
Yes, but less valuable as a source of life experiences after you leave your 30's. Then it just becomes a debt inducing chore just to get that piece of required paper.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My ex had no college degree either and has found it impossible to break out of the cycle of barwork despite being a capable and likable young woman.
Is her name Amy?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Is her name Amy?
?

Don't get it!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain! I've been struggling to find suitable work too. I have a BA Hons as well as a Masters and it really doesn't seem to be making much difference. I left a great job in the UK to move over for my husband's career and have been struggling to find a good job here. (I have only been applying for 6 weeks though). In the meantime I have taken a retail job as it at least gets me out the apartment and I've also got a interview next week for something slightly better but not yet near the level of my last job.

I think as others have suggested it's a networking game. It may be worth you doing what I am doing and starting somewhere below your level and then quickly hopping to other jobs which are better suited. I've really had to widen the scope of jobs I will apply to. I've had a couple of email responses from employers saying the response to job adverts has been simply overwhelming so I think it is a clear sign of the number of skilled people looking for work.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

?

Don't get it!
You have a Doctorate don't you?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have a Doctorate don't you?
Yes. Still don't get it!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Ok well I have now signed up with LinkedIn so we shall see what that brings. Anybody on there feel free to add me: Dean Window, Very Experienced Sales Professional in Clayton NC, thanks for all the advice so far!
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:09 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in quite a bad predicament here because of having no college degree. The only work I've been able to find is temp work, which is where I'm currently at. The job is awful, I'm being completely taken advantage of, ignored by most people there and dumped with an impossible project that no one else wanted to do.

I've applied and applied for dozens of jobs, but not even so much as an acknowledgement (only the automated type responses). It's getting quite desperate. I'm not sure how long my job will last, I'm not sure how much longer I can take being so miserable and dreading work every day and we can't survive on my wife's salary alone.

Going to college isn't an option for me, even if I had the aptitude for classroom & textbook learning. My wife owes too much money to Sallie Mae on her student loans, two of which I had to co-sign, so the chances of me being even able to borrow enough to just get an AA at a community college are zero to none.

The funny part is, I know that in the UK, I could at least get a fairly "ok" job and that employers would at least recognise my wide array of experience and IT / accounting skills and hands on approach. Not here though, apparently. You need a BA to land a $12 an hour AP job, at least in this neck of the woods.

If anyone knows of anyone who needs an experienced, hands on, highly proficient in Excel accounting-type person, please DM me! I am more than willin to relocate to another part of the US at this stage, but would prefer not to, obviously.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by janicedean164
Ok well I have now signed up with LinkedIn so we shall see what that brings.
Got to find associations, alumni groups, stuff like that to add to your groups, it'll make it easier to connect with other people.

When you find a job you're interested in, search the company against LI, jot the names down and see if you know anyone who can introduce you to the person likely to do the hiring.

Search out the company HR person, you'll probably find they have been open with their email address, replace their name with the one you found earlier, following the company email structure you now know, thus you're able to by-pass HR and get to who you need to.

Having someone you know write a recommendation email to the person first will probably help, so they can then expect to get a email from you afterwards.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready

If anyone knows of anyone who needs an experienced, hands on, highly proficient in Excel accounting-type person, please DM me! I am more than willin to relocate to another part of the US at this stage, but would prefer not to, obviously.
Have you tried dice.com? Possibly a hike for you, but Monster and CareerBuilder offices are based in Maynard and then you've got a host of Insurance companies based in and around Burlington, who often have accounting type positions going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.