Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Wikiposts

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Originally Posted by Britishbees
Thanks Rene! It is all rather strange at the moment. Will be in touch once I find my way around a bit. Not looking forward to the driving bit though - yikes.
It's like landing on the moon for your first couple of days in Phoenix.

Learn how the mile grid system works and you'll get your navigation right.

Hints:

Camelback Mountain is in the middle and straddles the Phoenix/Scottsdale/ Paradise Valley border.

South Mountain has all the TV masts on it. It's a dozen miles south of Phoenix down town.

If you're in the east valley and looking at Superstition Mountain, you're facing east.

Sky Harbor planes take off and land in the east-west direction.

Even numbers are always on the North or West side of the road; odds are east or south.

Also, learn where the 000/000 mark is for where you're living. In Phoenix, it's Washington and Central. Other cities in the valley have their own scheme.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a GPS. It's invaluable helping you find your way around new places. Glad you made it over ok.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:01 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Get yourself a GPS. It's invaluable helping you find your way around new places. Glad you made it over ok.
I (politely) disagree...

Whilst it's great if you need to get somewhere on time, there's a lot to be said for getting lost in a new place! You learn all kinds of backroads and routes and come accross little gems (pubs, restaurants, shops etc) that you probably won't see if you try and use GPS.

I postponed getting a GPS by 6 months when I moved to Houston just so that I got to know my way around by feel first.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:32 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hi All,

We have arrived - safe, sound (mostly) and largely on time... ish!

A big thanks again to all of you who helped with advice, support and humour!! (and yes, I DO intend to make full use of the letter 'U' on my keyboard, now we're here!)

Our flight was 40 mins late landing at Phoenix - or to put it another way, based on previous experience with BA on this flight 4 times before, it was on time! Seriously, the crew were excellent as always, and that 64mph headwind over 9+ hrs of flight adds up to a delay - I blame the weather/jet stream/government/all of the above.

Immigration people were professional, courteous and human - we got through in just a few minutes with the new L1/L2 visas. Customs were human and humorous and very helpful too.

So our huge excess baggage, including 5 suitcases and 3 very 'happy to see us' dogs just about squeezed in to this Hummer-sized Nissan tank thing we hired, and we got in to our new home around 11:30pm last night.

Time for some shut-eye, then shopping (just where DO you get a kettle from in these parts?!) and food!!

Thanks again

Harold The Arachnid Esq.,
Welcome to Chandler,

Which area did you end up choosing to live?

You could try Walmart, Target

Are you after Jug or traditional?

As to food, are you after US or looking for a source of UK items?

Also watch out as they sell a lot of stove top ones here as well as electric

There are number of good dog parks around if you want, remember that there are leash laws here when you are out with the pets

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Nov 10th 2010 at 4:54 am.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's like landing on the moon for your first couple of days in Phoenix.

Learn how the mile grid system works and you'll get your navigation right.

Hints:

Camelback Mountain is in the middle and straddles the Phoenix/Scottsdale/ Paradise Valley border.

South Mountain has all the TV masts on it. It's a dozen miles south of Phoenix down town.

If you're in the east valley and looking at Superstition Mountain, you're facing east.

Sky Harbor planes take off and land in the east-west direction.

Even numbers are always on the North or West side of the road; odds are east or south.

Also, learn where the 000/000 mark is for where you're living. In Phoenix, it's Washington and Central. Other cities in the valley have their own scheme.
Thanks Fatbrit. Now I have to learn my east from west, etc, always had a hard time with that in the first place It all sounds rather complicated at the moment - I am sure I will get to grips with it eventually!!!!

Mrs H the S
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Thanks Joto - another thing for my list - learn to use a GPS!!!!!

Mrs H the S
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink
I (politely) disagree...

Whilst it's great if you need to get somewhere on time, there's a lot to be said for getting lost in a new place! You learn all kinds of backroads and routes and come accross little gems (pubs, restaurants, shops etc) that you probably won't see if you try and use GPS.

I postponed getting a GPS by 6 months when I moved to Houston just so that I got to know my way around by feel first.
Thanks Bink - if I get lost will I find my way out again yikes.

Mrs H the S
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Welcome to Chandler,

Which area did you end up choosing to live?

You could try Walmart, Target

Are you after Jug or traditional?

As to food, are you after US or looking for a source of UK items?

Also watch out as they sell a lot of stove top ones here as well as electric

There are number of good dog parks around if you want, remember that there are leash laws here when you are out with the pets
Thanks Drew Dean

Currently in Chandler in temporary accommodation. Not sure where we are going to live yet but Mr H the S will be working in Chandler so we don't want to be too far away - no long commute for him anymore.

Definitely jug, the one you plug into the wall and off you go. Will watch out for the differences.

Our pets will definitely be on leashes don't want them running off and getting lost.

Mrs H the S
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:02 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bink - if I get lost will I find my way out again yikes.

Mrs H the S
Well that's half the fun!!

GPS's are great but I often feel that they make you miss a lot about a place as you just follow directions and tend to not pay that much attention to where you're going.

Re:Kettles. I got mine in Macy's too. They do take longer to boil than in the UK and I have fast boiling one. Bought a cheap one to start with - big mistake. It was quicker to boil water on the stove.

Oh, and welcome to the States!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink
Well that's half the fun!!

GPS's are great but I often feel that they make you miss a lot about a place as you just follow directions and tend to not pay that much attention to where you're going.

Re:Kettles. I got mine in Macy's too. They do take longer to boil than in the UK and I have fast boiling one. Bought a cheap one to start with - big mistake. It was quicker to boil water on the stove.

Oh, and welcome to the States!
LOL!!!

Noted on the kettle front - will get expensive instead and hope that it quick. 15 mins to wait for my cuppa not good - will have to plan ahead - lol.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:28 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Drew Dean

Currently in Chandler in temporary accommodation. Not sure where we are going to live yet but Mr H the S will be working in Chandler so we don't want to be too far away - no long commute for him anymore.

Definitely jug, the one you plug into the wall and off you go. Will watch out for the differences.

Our pets will definitely be on leashes don't want them running off and getting lost.

Mrs H the S
I do not blame on the commute, I live in Gilbert and Work in Chandler 15-20 mins

The chandler city website has couple of sites that might be helpful

Shop Chandler
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=758

Dog Parks
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=290

Eats
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=678

Helpful Community Links
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=46

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Nov 10th 2010 at 5:31 am.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Re kettles: We got a Breville stainless steel jug kettle out of either Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond (can't remember now). It's fairly quick to boil. Wasn't cheap, I think around $70, but we've had it about 3 years and it works great. If you need to know about product reliability, go to your local library and have a look at copies of Consumer Reports (Which).
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
I do not blame on the commute, I live in Gilbert and Work in Chandler 15-20 mins

The chandler city website has couple of sites that might be helpful

Shop Chandler
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=758

Dog Parks
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=290

Eats
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=678

Helpful Community Links
http://www.chandleraz.gov/default.aspx?pageid=46
Thanks for those links - they will come in very useful indeed.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:43 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

All this talk of kettles made me think.... am I the only person who has a stove top kettle not a plug in - boils in mins.....

I remember when we first arrived I couldn't find an electric kettle, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

BTW - Welcome To Amercia Arachnid Family!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Re kettles: We got a Breville stainless steel jug kettle out of either Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond (can't remember now). It's fairly quick to boil. Wasn't cheap, I think around $70, but we've had it about 3 years and it works great. If you need to know about product reliability, go to your local library and have a look at copies of Consumer Reports (Which).
Thanks Joto - Right, a Breville it is then Will have a look in Target today. Need to check out local library anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.