Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Hi All,

We have arrived - safe, sound (mostly) and largely on time... ish!

A big thanks again to all of you who helped with advice, support and humour!! (and yes, I DO intend to make full use of the letter 'U' on my keyboard, now we're here!)

Our flight was 40 mins late landing at Phoenix - or to put it another way, based on previous experience with BA on this flight 4 times before, it was on time! Seriously, the crew were excellent as always, and that 64mph headwind over 9+ hrs of flight adds up to a delay - I blame the weather/jet stream/government/all of the above.

Immigration people were professional, courteous and human - we got through in just a few minutes with the new L1/L2 visas. Customs were human and humorous and very helpful too.

So our huge excess baggage, including 5 suitcases and 3 very 'happy to see us' dogs just about squeezed in to this Hummer-sized Nissan tank thing we hired, and we got in to our new home around 11:30pm last night.

Time for some shut-eye, then shopping (just where DO you get a kettle from in these parts?!) and food!!

Thanks again

Harold The Arachnid Esq.,
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hi All,

A big thanks again to all of you who helped with advice, support and humour!! (and yes, I DO intend to make full use of the letter 'U' on my keyboard, now we're here!)

Our flight was 40 mins late landing at Phoenix - or to put it another way, based on previous experience with BA on this flight 4 times before, it was on time! Seriously, the crew were excellent as always, and that 64mph headwind over 9+ hrs of flight adds up to a delay - I blame the weather/jet stream/government/all of the above.

Immigration people were professional, courteous and human - we got through in just a few minutes with the new L1/L2 visas. Customs were human and humorous and very helpful too.

So our huge excess baggage, including 5 suitcases and 3 very 'happy to see us' dogs just about squeezed in to this Hummer-sized Nissan tank thing we hired, and we got in to our new home around 11:30pm last night.

Time for some shut-eye, then shopping (just where DO you get a kettle from in these parts?!) and food!!

Thanks again

Welcome, sounds like it was quite stress free, now get yourself to target and you can fill your kitchen with all that must have not needed used once crap.........Toastie machine, coffee grinder, George Foreman grill, popcorn machine, blah, blah..........

Seriously re the kettle get a rapid boil one when I say rapid I mean it will only take 15 minutes to boil rather than 25 for the normal ones!

Enjoy the adventure.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks again

Welcome, sounds like it was quite stress free, now get yourself to Target and you can fill your kitchen with all that must have, not needed, used once crap.........Toastie machine, coffee grinder, George Foreman grill, popcorn machine, blah, blah..........

Seriously re the kettle get a rapid boil one when I say rapid I mean it will only take 15 minutes to boil rather than 25 for the normal ones!

Enjoy the adventure.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

15 minutes to boil a kettle..... as a (in)famous American once exclaimed...

You cannot be serious!!??

Cheers

Harry
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Local Costcos have some nice ones in at the moment @ $20 a pop. You might look at Costco membership if you're buying a ton of new stuff.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

15 minutes to boil a kettle..... as a (in)famous American once exclaimed...

You cannot be serious!!??

Cheers

Harry
I think its a 110v vs 240v thing.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting here. Head to Target I was looking yesterday and they seem to have everything now days.
I doubt you have a Costco card yet, we got rid of ours a few years back, but they are good for vacuums and kettles. etc.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

Dear Harry TS

I am a BA crew member who would just like to say how much your kind words are appreciated

People in life in general are quick to criticise and slow to praise and we crew at BA are really the bad girls and boys of the year due to our industrial dispute and thanks to the oh so impartial and balanced daily mail : )

So, thank you! it really does make my day when someone says something nice

Congrats on your safe arrival in the USA- I hope to follow in your footsteps in the not too distant future

xx bb
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:54 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to America! Glad it was stress free. I agree re. target for stuff. We bought our kettle in Macy's and they were much cheaper in target. We went to petsmart for dog food as it sold bigger packs of the one we bought in the UK. If you were in costco in the UK, your card is still good here and they have good deals. We got vacuum cleaner in Bed, bath and beyond as it was much cheaper.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US

As for the kettle, ours comes from Canadian Tire in Canada but we have purchased some in the past from Wally world and target. Not 15 minutes to boil but a good 10 minutes if you have a full pot.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Phoenix!!

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Welcome to Phoenix!!

Rene
Thanks Rene! It is all rather strange at the moment. Will be in touch once I find my way around a bit. Not looking forward to the driving bit though - yikes.

AKA Mrs Harry the Spider
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your welcome!

Will head to Target today for that all important kettle!!

Hopefully it won't take us too long to settle in. It is all just rather strange at the moment. Can't quite believe it yet.

AKA Mrs Harry the Spider
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishbees
Thanks Rene! It is all rather strange at the moment. Will be in touch once I find my way around a bit. Not looking forward to the driving bit though - yikes.

AKA Mrs Harry the Spider
Ohhh hi! I didn't realize you were Mrs HtS. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ohhh hi! I didn't realize you were Mrs HtS. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Rene
Ha, one likes to be mysterious!!

Have pm'd you a reply. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.