Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally made it to the great state of California!

Finally made it to the great state of California!

Old Mar 25th 2012, 11:37 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of
Default Finally made it to the great state of California!

Currently I am 3 1/2 years into my US adventure, and really enjoying it! I get the odd thought about moving home, but the longer I am here the harder it would to move back I think. I am here till I am eligible for the old NS400, then after that I guess I will be free to come and go. Having spent all my time thus far on the East coast in Boston, I decided it was time to take the California plunge :-) three weeks ago I packed up everything into a truck, put my car on a trailer and drove the 3200 miles from Boston to San Francisco, where I am now living. I am a field based consultant so was able to keep my job which was great. It was quite an adventure driving across this ridiculously large country, its seriously big..... Thankfully i had a friend help me out!
Now that the dust has settled I am back to square one again, have to make all new friends, so anyone out there in San Francisco who might like a crazy Irish guy out for a few drinks let me know! I HATE Saturday nights in, they just depress me! I signed up for the Brits meet up group, although I missed the meetup there on Friday as I was away for the weekend, i will be at the next one for sure! I am living right in San Francisco. I still can't believe I made it to California, although the price of rent and houses/apartments has scared the bejasus out of me! And the 9% state income tax is a real kick in the teeth, how is this state bankrupt! MA I long for your 5.3 rate ...... So any tips for a new San Francisco resident would be great!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally made it to the great state of California!

Good work. San Francisco is cooler than Boston, and worth the extra money IMO.

Next step: Kezar Pub on Stanyan St for your British sports. Also a very popular spot for Sunday boozing. You can't beat the beer garden in Zeitgeist for hangover bloody marys on Saturday and Sunday mornings either.

You are also just in time for spring in Yosemite, which is the best time of year to visit the park.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear you've not only survived 3 1/2 years in the northeast USA, but have now adventurously pulled up stakes & started over on the west coast! As a struggling expat (or repat technically, but last lived here 20 years ago) myself, I've just begun to feel ever so slightly settled after 6 months in New England. Spring helps, but I'm not sure the husband & I have quite reached the point where we wouldn't bolt straight back to the UK if given half a chance. . . .

Good luck in San Fran!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:51 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Nice to hear you've not only survived 3 1/2 years in the northeast USA, but have now adventurously pulled up stakes & started over on the west coast! As a struggling expat (or repat technically, but last lived here 20 years ago) myself, I've just begun to feel ever so slightly settled after 6 months in New England. Spring helps, but I'm not sure the husband & I have quite reached the point where we wouldn't bolt straight back to the UK if given half a chance. . . .

Good luck in San Fran!

Thanks! I really enjoyed the East coast, I liked Boston, but I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about over here in CA! :-) I am planing on staying here for 2 maybe 3 years to see what I think of it. All going well I will have my citizenship by then, so after that who knows! I think I would only go back to the east coast to live in NYC, but CA will be home for a while now!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Next step: Kezar Pub on Stanyan St for your British sports. Also a very popular spot for Sunday boozing. You can't beat the beer garden in Zeitgeist for hangover bloody marys on Saturday and Sunday mornings either.
Word to Zeitgeist, although it gets too packed there at times. El Rio is another dope spot in the Mission, with often times good music too.

I would go for Mad Dog or Danny Coyle's in Lower Haight over the Kezar though. Just 'cuase the hot dog place across the street is sooo good at half time.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

Good luck in San Fran!
We're probably just up the road from you (relatively speaking!) - it took me about 2 years to feel fully settled here in New England, but I reached the point where, on driving from the airport at Logan after returning from the UK, I felt like I was "home".

Been here 7 years and loving it. Wouldn't say no to a stint on the west coast though if the opportunity presented itself!
Old Mar 31st 2012, 12:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
Thanks! I really enjoyed the East coast, I liked Boston, but I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about over here in CA! :-) I am planing on staying here for 2 maybe 3 years to see what I think of it. All going well I will have my citizenship by then, so after that who knows! I think I would only go back to the east coast to live in NYC, but CA will be home for a while now!
So Boston didn't get its hooks too deep into you, I'd guess? My husband's always saying that Boston is the best place for UK/Irish folks, but we can't move there--too far from obligations we need to be close to. I wouldn't move to NYC myself, not unless there was some *giant* bribe attached, though it can be a fun place to visit.

Originally Posted by tonrob
We're probably just up the road from you (relatively speaking!) - it took me about 2 years to feel fully settled here in New England, but I reached the point where, on driving from the airport at Logan after returning from the UK, I felt like I was "home".
Yes, I've heard it can take a couple of years to really settle in, so we've got a ways to go then . . . .