Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally learning to drive

Finally learning to drive

Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally learning to drive

So at age 33 I'm finally going to learn to drive. My Provisional Licence arrived today so I'm just about to book my first lesson in over 10 years (never did get around to doing the test). My OH still has no interest in learning so it's up to me. I'm a little nervous any advice? Did everyone else learn when they were 17?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finally learning to drive

Yep I did my test when I was 17.

Then when I moved to Aus they made me do it again aged 24 the feckers, which was interesting with 7 years of bad habits by then. Luckily the driving standards are so low in Aus that I still passed no worries.

You will be fine, just takes a while getting used to the sensations from memory and the clutch was a bit tricky but once you get the hang of it will be a cinch.

Living in the country your life will be 100% easier once you have wheels - good luck
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:38 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I didnt learn until I was about 20, and only then becasue someone gave me a free lesson and I thought I'd better finish what I started. I have little interest in cars and all that, and living in a nice small town with public transport, I didnt need one. I've driven a lot in the US, but mainly automatics. I'm a bit rusty with my clutch control Like it or not, its really a necessity these days
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Now I feel really old learning a 33 mind you my older brother only learned just over a year ago.

Actually I think buying a car and dealing with sales men and sorting out insurance may be more stressful than learning to drive.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Elaine, you'll be just fine.

I did learn at 17 in Scotland with a clutch, then moved to the US and had to take the test there. Talk about easy peasy testing in the US as opposed to the UK, also with an automatic car, which is brainless driving at best. But, when I move back to the UK it will probably be back to the clutch again.

Hmmmmmm, wonder if I can get myself an automatic car that doesn't cost a fortune when I get back, worth looking into I think

By the way, you're still a spring chicken in my book at 33
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Good luck Elaine, you'll be just fine.

I did learn at 17 in Scotland with a clutch, then moved to the US and had to take the test there. Talk about easy peasy testing in the US as opposed to the UK, also with an automatic car, which is brainless driving at best. But, when I move back to the UK it will probably be back to the clutch again.

Hmmmmmm, wonder if I can get myself an automatic car that doesn't cost a fortune when I get back, worth looking into I think

By the way, you're still a spring chicken in my book at 33
Aww aren't you sweet.

I had considered learning in an automatic but I figured if I'm going to do this I'll do it the proper way, I may change my mind after a few lessons mind you
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't learn to drive until I was 34.I took an intensive course over 2 weeks, as if I had done one lesson a week I would never have got there.I learned in a manual car,If I can do it anybody can.11 years on it is great not having to rely on public transport.Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I learned at 17 - but was in tears by the end of my first lesson with my dad. So choose your first tutor well !! It all went OK after that.

Hubby's brother did not learn till he was in his early 30's, and his other brother is now 35 and still hasn't attempted it ( I think he's sticking to his motorcycle to get out of childcare taxi driving ) - I think the intensive course sounds like a good idea if you can fit that in anywhere - and hour or two everyday will consolidate your learning very quickly.

Very good luck Elaine - enjoy - it'll be a blast
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:33 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im learning just now im 27 really wished i done it at 17 less nervous i think at that age.

i must say with the more lessons i have the more im confidence im getting just need to get my reverse parking up to scratch then hopefully i can go for my test.

good luck
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

So I've just booked my first lesson next Friday it was the earliest day I could get. I'll see how the first lesson goes and maybe I'll think about doing one of the intensive courses I'd like to learn before my OH get home at the start of December. Okay then I guess I better go and start reading the Highway Code.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I only learnt to drive last year at the tender age of 38. I took a test when I was about 20 but after failing I couldn't afford to do it again. My problem was my nerves and my confidence.

One day at the beginning of the new year, I turned round to my boss and said that by the end of 2007 I will be driving and have my own car, I stuck with it and passed first time in July

I went to my test with the attitude that in the grand scheme of things, if I don't pass it wouldn't be a big deal, so you can imagine my surprise when the instructor told me I had! I got a test just after the morning rush, just after all the school runs had finished and everyone was in work (9.30am) I think, it worked a treat.

Best of luck, you know you can do it
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
I only learnt to drive last year at the tender age of 38. I took a test when I was about 20 but after failing I couldn't afford to do it again. My problem was my nerves and my confidence.

One day at the beginning of the new year, I turned round to my boss and said that by the end of 2007 I will be driving and have my own car, I stuck with it and passed first time in July

I went to my test with the attitude that in the grand scheme of things, if I don't pass it wouldn't be a big deal, so you can imagine my surprise when the instructor told me I had! I got a test just after the morning rush, just after all the school runs had finished and everyone was in work (9.30am) I think, it worked a treat.

Best of luck, you know you can do it
That's good to hear. I think I'll go with the no big deal attitude too.

I told my OH that I'd booked my first lesson so he wants me to pick him up at the airport when he gets home in December I think that may be pushing it a little.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:27 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
That's good to hear. I think I'll go with the no big deal attitude too.

I told my OH that I'd booked my first lesson so he wants me to pick him up at the airport when he gets home in December I think that may be pushing it a little.
Haha imagine his face if you pulled up in a jag Good Luck
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sans
Haha imagine his face if you pulled up in a jag Good Luck
With flames painted on it
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:56 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
With flames painted on it
I past my driving test here in the Uk a ditheringly 26yrs ago

Something in the 14mths of being in Canada, didn't quite get around to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.