Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - the french do something right...

Wikiposts

Finally - the french do something right...

Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:58 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally - the french do something right...

That was a rhetorical question. I knew which post you were (vaguely) referring to. You should have really quoted me instead of linking to my post, then at least you would have had the opportunity to twist my words to resemble your warped post. Don't you have a human rights conference to go to or something, instead of trying to wind me up with your drivel?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
That was a rhetorical question. I knew which post you were (vaguely) referring to. You should have really quoted me instead of linking to my post, then at least you would have had the opportunity to twist my words to resemble your warped post.
Wouldn't it be easier to concede that violence is sometimes necessary? (Though not of course in looking for WMDs that aren't even there!)
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:11 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Wouldn't it be easier to concede that violence is sometimes necessary? (Though not of course in looking for WMDs that Saddam got rid of before anybody found them )
I don't have to concede to anything. All I'm doing is commenting on how ridiculous these people are for trashing their own neighbourhood without making so much as one demand. There's a time for violence and a time for common sense.....
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have to concede to anything. All I'm doing is commenting on how ridiculous these people are for trashing their own neighbourhood without making so much as one demand. There's a time for violence and a time for common sense.....

Would you rather they trash somebody else's neighbourhood?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 4:43 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

It's always been my impression that demonstrators make demands. Rioters just riot. They may riot in the name of a cause, but often the motivation to make a large group of people violent is not something specific enough to sum up in 5 words or less on a placard.

In this particular case, I believe that the riots are about parts of the population being marginalized by French society, stuck in ghettos and disenfranchised. Much like the working classes prior to the French revolution, I imagine. I doubt they had many catchy slogans on placards either, until "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité" was coined after the event.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:03 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Whow, I go to bed and come back to see quite a heated little debate going (and I'm not talking about the heat coming from the burning cars).

These RIOTERS are burning cars, shooting guns at police, burning down schools and throwing petrol bombs indiscrimently.

There is NO justification to this, NONE. I don't care what your beef is. If you are an invited guest of a country (or a newly appointed citizen) and you behave this way, you can piss off back to where you came from.

On the other hand, if you are a citizen from birth and behave this way then the courts should deal with you.

What people forget about using RIOTS as a protest is that is mostly the innocent that get harmed. throwing a petrol bomb may kill a policeman/father of the very people they think they are protesting for.

This all started because 2 guys (whom happened to be African) were being chased by police. The 2 guys hid in a power supply box and died through electrocution. (probably saved the cost of a jury !!)

The police are to blame of course as I am sure the 2 guys were running and hiding thinking it was just a game of hide and seek.

VIOLENCE has to stop and we HAVE to start somewhere. If you support the RIOTS and it was your spouse that was killed by a petrol bomb I think you would think again...... I don't care what your political view, your support would wain for rioting REAL fast... RIOTING is wrong in the society we live in today... You will change your view when 200 people are killed in a hotel fire caused by a stray fire bomb or 55 kids are killed on a coach with kids on a school trip.......

Last edited by franc11s; Nov 10th 2005 at 1:06 am.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc11s
Whow, I go to bed and come back to see quite a heated little debate going (and I'm not talking about the heat coming from the burning cars).

These RIOTERS are burning cars, shooting guns at police, burning down schools and throwing petrol bombs indiscrimently.

There is NO justification to this, NONE. I don't care what your beef is. If you are an invited guest of a country (or a newly appointed citizen) and you behave this way, you can piss off back to where you came from.

On the other hand, if you are a citizen from birth and behave this way then the courts should deal with you.

What people forget about using RIOTS as a protest is that is mostly the innocent that get harmed. throwing a petrol bomb may kill a policeman/father of the very people they think they are protesting for.

This all started because 2 guys (whom happened to be African) were being chased by police. The 2 guys hid in a power supply box and died through electrocution. (probably saved the cost of a jury !!)

The police are to blame of course as I am sure the 2 guys were running and hiding thinking it was just a game of hide and seek.

VIOLENCE has to stop and we HAVE to start somewhere. If you support the RIOTS and it was your spouse that was killed by a petrol bomb I think you would think again...... I don't care what your political view, your support would wain for rioting REAL fast... RIOTING is wrong in the society we live in today... You will change your view when 200 people are killed in a hotel fire caused by a stray fire bomb or 55 kids are killed on a coach with kids on a school trip.......
Absolutely right. If these scum bags are being allowed to live in France and then have the f**king nerve to shoot, petrol bomb and riot because they have some kind of complaint about some aspect of their life in France, then send the ungrateful sons of bitches back to their homeland in Africa. I'm betting that the reason they are in France in the first place is for a better standard of living.

Talk about bite the hand that feeds you.

Even if they have a genuine grievence there is obviously peaceful channels to go through before you would resort to full on rioting. Let's face it, most of these "grievences" lead to riots that are nothing more than just another excuse to loot and upgrade to a flatscreen TV. FFS

I can tell you from experience that the French CRS do NOT ***** about, so if they haven't managed to control them after this many days then it must've been one hell of a party.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Absolutely right. If these scum bags are being allowed to live in France and then have the f**king nerve to shoot, petrol bomb and riot because they have some kind of complaint about some aspect of their life in France, then send the ungrateful sons of bitches back to their homeland in Africa.

and when the French moved into the Ivory Coast / Cameroon / Senegal / Algeria as they fancied a bit of an empire, did the French abide by French law or Algerian law?

Just wondering because I often hear about assimilation now we are under threat. but when the British were trouncing half of India, how did we assimilate ourselves with the locals?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Absolutely right. If these scum bags are being allowed to live in France and then have the f**king nerve to shoot, petrol bomb and riot because they have some kind of complaint about some aspect of their life in France, then send the ungrateful sons of bitches back to their homeland in Africa. I'm betting that the reason they are in France in the first place is for a better standard of living.
This is very bad ... I am agreeing with Rushman...
Old Nov 10th 2005, 1:57 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

They say what goes around comes around.

Its not so long ago the French farmers were setting fires to stop imports of Sheep and Beef while the gendarmes looked on
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:44 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
and when the French moved into the Ivory Coast / Cameroon / Senegal / Algeria as they fancied a bit of an empire, did the French abide by French law or Algerian law?

Just wondering because I often hear about assimilation now we are under threat. but when the British were trouncing half of India, how did we assimilate ourselves with the locals?
Oh of course, that's all right then. I didn't think of it like that. Why we are at it, why down we all go and get revenge on all those countries that have ever battled with us. As I understand it, no nation really belongs where they are and to have gotton where where they are, they had to boot someone else up the arse to get them out. Now it's time for global revenge andput everything and everyone back where we all started.. Heck, it's all out war......... <sigh>
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:08 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Oh of course, that's all right then. I didn't think of it like that. Why we are at it, why down we all go and get revenge on all those countries that have ever battled with us. As I understand it, no nation really belongs where they are and to have gotton where where they are, they had to boot someone else up the arse to get them out. Now it's time for global revenge andput everything and everyone back where we all started.. Heck, it's all out war......... <sigh>
Spot on.

Demostrating is fine. Rioting is not, and is usually carried out by kids or people who just want to create a bit of mayhem.
By the way, I think coming from Belfast might place me in quite a good position to comment on rioting - there's been quite a lot of it there over the years and none of it has been constructive to the best of my knowledge.
To my mind if people riot in their own areas they should be left to clean up the mess themselves - might put a stop to it.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

not really,

you can't invade algeria, treat it's people like shit. move them to France to be treated even shittier, and then wonder why they go mental every once in a while.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:29 am
Pass me the Marmite..

Originally Posted by Manc
not really,

you can't invade algeria, treat it's people like shit. move them to France to be treated even shittier, and then wonder why they go mental every once in a while.
So they should-a stayed in Algeria. At least they would have only been shitted on once...

This world is turning into a pretty shitty place, isn't it. Escape from New York the crap movie, looks more likely !!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:32 am
@matthewb76

So they should-a stayed in Algeria. At least they would have only been shitted on once...
Well the kids of these immigrants that were born in France appear to have not much choice in the matter.

Even Chirac said "There must be equality for everyone "which he basically admitted that some people are treated as second class citizens because of their ethnicity.

I'm not saying it's right to go around burning cars and what not, but I think the tensions in France have been brewing for awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.