Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - the french do something right...

Wikiposts

Finally - the french do something right...

Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally - the french do something right...

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Actually I'd write the letter...
And Mr Lincoln would be upset with you...

"If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution"
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:02 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
So are you going to tell the French their Revolution was pointless? Sometimes force is necessary even if it is "illegal".
What do the destruction of private citizen's cars and the petrol bombing of trains have to do with the French Revolution?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

John Simpson wrote what I feel is an excellent opinion piece for the BBC earlier this week. In it he discusses many of the complex issues surrounding the rioting.

One of the major points he makes is that the French not only had their revolution, but nearly had another in 1968 when there was widespread rioting across the country. However, the French talk of the 1968 riots with reverence, as an example of the way in which they have responded to political failure and deadlock with civil disobedience and violence.

Apparently a significant proportion of the population is proud of the 1968 riots, but not of rioting by French citizens of immigrant descent... which is probably an example of the racism that the rioters are objecting to in the first place.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

What do the destruction of private citizen's cars and the petrol bombing of trains have to do with the French Revolution?
Modern equivalent of sacking the upper classes homes/palaces, barricading the streets, (with overturned carriages?), burning down the Bastille, beheading the aristos etc. I'm not saying the current cause is equivalent but the method of protest is remarkably similar considering the time lapse.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Modern equivalent of sacking the upper classes homes/palaces, barricading the streets, (with overturned carriages?), burning down the Bastille, beheading the aristos etc. I'm not saying the current cause is equivalent but the method of protest is remarkably similar considering the time lapse.
I think you will find that 1968 and the late 18th Century mainly involved French, the issue here is deporting guests who seem to have overstayed their welcolme.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think you will find that 1968 and the late 18th Century mainly involved French, the issue here is deporting guests who seem to have overstayed their welcolme.
Actually, if you read back over my comments you'll see I was questioning the following comment unrelated to nationality or deportation....

Actually I'd write the letter, and if that didn't work then I'd consider participating in a protest or demonstration. But if that demonstration got out of hand and turned into a riot, that would be my signal to leave. Destruction of property is wrong and illegal (and pointless) no matter how noble the cause is.
I don't disagree at all with the idea of deporting those who break a nation's law when they are staying there illegally - I was disagreeing with the notion that forceful protest is always pointless.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

But most of them were born in France!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
But most of them were born in France!
Then they would be French Citizens and not at risk of deportation, just gaol time.

The thread was about those who are not.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:45 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Let's assume the State of New Jersey passes a bill tomorrow saying the governor can sleep with your wife on Wednesdays, your daughter can't go to university because her place is in the kitchen, and you're off to defend freedom whether you like it or not.

Would you fancy burning a few cars in the street or are you going to write a letter of protest to your representatives?
Is "moving out of New Jersey" not an option then?
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:49 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if you read back over my comments you'll see I was questioning the following comment unrelated to nationality or deportation....

I don't disagree at all with the idea of deporting those who break a nation's law when they are staying there illegally - I was disagreeing with the notion that forceful protest is always pointless.
I'm confused. Is 'forceful protest' a politically correct term for 'riot' or something? These people are not demonstrating or 'forcefully protesting'. They are rioting. I see no banners asking for fairer treatment for minority groups in France. In fact I have not heard one rioter, sorry protester, go on TV and try to justify what they are doing. All I see is mindless violence with no motive other than what the media speculates about.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:54 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. Is 'forceful protest' a politically correct term for 'riot' or something? These people are not demonstrating or 'forcefully protesting'. They are rioting. I see no banners asking for fairer treatment for minority groups in France. In fact I have not heard one rioter, sorry protester, go on TV and try to justify what they are doing. All I see is mindless violence with no motive other than what the media speculates about.
They're just having fun Dave
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

No - you are confusing the specific events you are seeing on TV with the general statement you made saying "destruction of property is wrong and illegal (and pointless)". I don't know the motives of the people rioting in France right now - luckily it's immaterial to my point. I am disagreeing with your general statement that destruction of property is wrong and pointless - sometimes it isn't - the example I chose to give where destruction was not pointless, because of the subject of this thread, was the French Revolution. Any violent overthrow of an oppresive regime would also suit my point. As would bombing in WWII if you want to extend it.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am disagreeing with your general statement that destruction of property is wrong and pointless
Dave's happy to sit there passively while his wife is raped and people who don't want freedom shoot AK47s off at him. He's a real flower-power, make-love-not-war, pacifist in my book! And I can certainly respect his beliefs. Don't think you're going to get very far with persuading him, though.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:50 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Dave's happy to sit there passively while his wife is raped and people who don't want freedom shoot AK47s off at him. He's a real flower-power, make-love-not-war, pacifist in my book! And I can certainly respect his beliefs. Don't think you're going to get very far with persuading him, though.
What on earth are you babbling on about now? I swear you talk all day without actually saying anything.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:53 pm
Septicity

What on earth are you babbling on about now? I swear you talk all day without actually saying anything.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=13

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.