Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally arrived in SF

Finally arrived in SF

Old Jul 4th 2017, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally arrived in SF

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Glad you've arrived safely.
If you need any practical help with documents for banks etc give me a shout. And actually, I'd probably go to the bank today. They are open and completely empty! Everyone seems to think they're closed.
Thanks for your advice . I have been to Wells Fargo today and set up a debit account with them. However for the credit card, I was told I can have one only is I put some deposit . For example, I give them 500 usd and then they will give me 500 used limited. I was told that's my only option for credit card, do u know if it is true ? I m thinking to check Bank of America next time .
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
Thanks for your advice . I have been to Wells Fargo today and set up a debit account with them. However for the credit card, I was told I can have one only is I put some deposit . For example, I give them 500 usd and then they will give me 500 used limited. I was told that's my only option for credit card, do u know if it is true ? I m thinking to check Bank of America next time .
This is known as a "secured credit card". It's perfectly legitimate and is used by people without credit or building credit.

Typically they will graduate to an unsecured card over time and you'll be refunded the original deposit amount.

Given you'll probably be accepted by any card issuer for a secured card, I recommend you shop around. I found Discover to be a good deal, but their acceptance outside of the US is minimal.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Lovely to hear!!! I didn't stop crying through security when we left and then started up again on the plane when talking to a stewardess!! (Slightly embarrassing)! You are not alone! 😂! We have been hear a couple of weeks now and whilst we aren't settled as we are in temp accommodation still, things have gone well and we feel settled in ourselves. On our first weekday were able to set up a bank account and go for our social security which came in the post last week. My only thing we weren't expecting cost wise was in NJ is seems to standard that if you are renting that the tenants pay the realtor's brokerage fee which is typically a months rent. That was an expensive shock to us so definitely worth checking out in your area. I hope you have a wonderful time and look forward to your updates.
Oh my god , it is so crazy , a month rent got the realtor . I just opened bank account and got a new sim yesterday . Still looking for house . Finger crossed that I can find it asap.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
This is known as a "secured credit card". It's perfectly legitimate and is used by people without credit or building credit.

Typically they will graduate to an unsecured card over time and you'll be refunded the original deposit amount.

Given you'll probably be accepted by any card issuer for a secured card, I recommend you shop around. I found Discover to be a good deal, but their acceptance outside of the US is minimal.
Discover ? I will google it later . So people like me won't have chance to apply a normal credit card ?thx
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
One warning - Tuesday isn't a typical day in the US ...
Could you pls warn me what will happen today? How do they celebrate 4th July ? Go to pub ? Thx
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Discover ? I will google it later . So people like me won't have chance to apply a normal credit card ?thx
Discover is a card network like visa or MasterCard, but their presence is pretty much just the USA.

If you have no USA credit score then I don't see you getting a normal one for some time.

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on how you look at it, credit checks aren't global.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Could you pls warn me what will happen today? How do they celebrate 4th July ? Go to pub ? Thx
It's each to their own. For my family it's get together and eat.

There may be a firework display in the evening put on by a business or the city.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Discover is a card network like visa or MasterCard, but their presence is pretty much just the USA.

If you have no USA credit score then I don't see you getting a normal one for some time.

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on how you look at it, credit checks aren't global.
I guess in that case, I'd better start one of these secure credit card . I was told by the bank I need SSN for that . So I will try to get that on 5th. Finger crossed . Thx
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I guess in that case, I'd better start one of these secure credit card . I was told by the bank I need SSN for that . So I will try to get that on 5th. Finger crossed . Thx
You may find this wiki page useful: Fatbrit's Guide to Credit and Finance : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 4th 2017, 1:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

It's each to their own. For my family it's get together and eat.

There may be a firework display in the evening put on by a business or the city.
Our town (on the other side of the country from you) has a BIG parade stating in a few hours.

Our first year here we set out to do an errand, and on heading home found most of our town completely blocked off for the 4th July parade...so we were stranded for an hour and a half in a parking lot.
We gave in and walked up a few blocks to watch the parade.... The milk went off, but what else can you do? Welcome to America!!

Last edited by WEBlue; Jul 4th 2017 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

That's very helpful. Many thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello we just checked into our service apartment in Dublin and will try to rent a house here asap. If you know anything in the east Dublin , please let me know. Many thanks !
Check out Zillow they list all the homes for sale or rent in the area.

Apartments and condos are springing up all over the place. There's a building frenzy going on

https://www.zillow.com/dublin-ca/
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

A good website as well as Zillow is www.realtor.com, we found our rental of there and each listing comes with useful info on schools that are assigned and local amenities etc. Also on the the credit card front if you had a uk Amex you may be able to transfer it to a US one. Think you need your ss number to do it and something we are just about to try!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

There will be eating, drinking and fireworks ...

Depending on where you are in the city there may also be illegal fireworks being let off in the street and, perhaps, a few people shooting guns in the air (although that is probably more common at New Year).
Old Jul 5th 2017, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wells fargo secured card and they didn't need an SSN for it. They also set my husbands up before he got his SSN too. If you don't mind waiting until you have the SSN then its irrelevant but worth pursuing if you'd rather have it sooner It took a couple of weeks for them to process it and issue the cards for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.