Reload this Page >

Final tax after leaving US

Final tax after leaving US

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

dbr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Final tax after leaving US

Hi folks,

I am no longer working in the US. My accountant mentioned I may need to do a 'partial' return for 2018, as well as the regular 2018 return at the start of 2019.

Can I just wait until 2019 and do the whole 2018 return at that point? Do I need to do anything special to 'sign off' since I won't be going to work in the US again any time soon!

Any insight appreciated :-)
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final tax after leaving US

When I moved to Canada in 2015, I just did a regular return in 2016. I am still required to file a US return every year since I am a US citizen, don't know what your particular situation is. I was also a regular employee in the US, not self employed with additional reporting requirements - hence a regular return in 2016 was sufficient, for me. Why does your accountant think you need to do a partial return?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

dbr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Final tax after leaving US

Not sure, there was some mention of an old law that you had to have your taxes in order before returning to your home country (I am UK Citizen).

I believe its this: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...sailing-permit

Apparently in the real world no one does this any more (I didnt do it and they let me leave!). So I am thinking a regular return in 2019 would be OK unless there is some other reason I would need to do a partial.