Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Final "P" Debate ...

Final "P" Debate ...

Old Oct 14th 2004, 5:50 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final "P" Debate ...

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
P.S. I do wish Kerry would have address that "voted for higher taxes 98 times" B.S. tonight every time Bush mentioned it. Its just as false as his claims of bringing 75% of Bin Ladins men to justice.
98 is an inflated figure. He didn't actually vote for 98 tax hikes. You have to vote more than once on different things during a specific vote. I think they even vote to close the debate.

So 98 does not represent him voting to raise taxes 98 times.

I agree, I wish he would stand up to that charge.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
98 is an inflated figure. He didn't actually vote for 98 tax hikes. You have to vote more than once on different things during a specific vote. I think they even vote to close the debate.

So 98 does not represent him voting to raise taxes 98 times.

I agree, I wish he would stand up to that charge.
Per NPR this AM the 98 included many procedural votes on specific tax bills. The actual number of finished bills that raised taxes was 65 per them (still an astounding number)
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:21 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Last nights debate:

KERRY: Six months after he said Osama bin Laden must be caught dead or alive, this president was asked, "Where is Osama bin Laden? " He said, "I don't know. I don't really think about him very much. I'm not that concerned. "

BUSH: Gosh, I just don't think I ever said I'm not worried about Osama bin Laden. It's kind of one of those exaggerations.

This from a speech made by Bush to Kelly Wallace of CNN:

"Terror is bigger than one person. And he's just -- he's a person who's now been marginalized. His network is -- his host government has been destroyed. He's the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match. He is -- as I've mentioned in my speeches, I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to commit youngsters to their death, and he himself tries to hide -- if, in fact, he's hiding at all."

"So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you. . . . I truly am not that concerned about him."
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think both of them skirt around the issues too much, they need Paxman to moderate the debate, he'll get some straight answers out of them.

I like Kerry because he is honest and openly admits he'll have to raise taxes, a bit like the Lib Dems :scared: ...... oh perhaps I don't like him after all.

-tom
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I like Kerry because he is honest and openly admits he'll have to raise taxes, a bit like the Lib Dems
never did them any good though did it...
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Really both of them did not really impress me but one thing that really stands out to me is that Bush states that he is against import of cheaper drugs from Canada because he does not think they are safe but with the same token wants to import the flu vaccine from Canada to sort out the lost batches which Chiron messed up.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:43 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I couldn't bring myself to watch after hearing about this...
awwww Sibsie are you the least bit surprised?

At the last elections i never liked Bush for the simple reason that he's a Neanderthal when it comes to womens issues ....eeekk no,worse!! he's a recovering alchoholic who has discovered God ....that's worse in my book........i remember joking with hubby when Bush got in 4 years ago that if he was given enough time he'd outlaw the Pill!
Man it aggrevates me so much that people will vote Bush because of this reason alone Churches that tell parishioners that voting for Kerry would be a sin should just be burned down dammmit!! yes i said it burnt down....they're are the 21 century versions of the f***ing witch-hunters!!!!
Science has always been crippled by these Zelots grrr it make me so mad!!

Issues aside I've watched all 4 debates, and believe me when i say they're my first......i have to agree with everything Kerry is saying but hotdamn can't the guy show a little passion?......Bush looks like he's gonna lose his rag half the time but to some ignoramouses who are to lazy or stupid to look at the "issues" this counts as confidence and sheer belief inthe fact that he's right!! Kerry can so kick Bush's butt on all the issues but his delivery , and i hate to say this ...he's crap...
he just drones on , like he's just reading a script i just so wanted him to look in the camera and give it his all i mean damn the Presidency is on the line an the man is still a cold fish "sob" i think he tends to overestimate the political knowledge and itellect of the average american the guy needs to talk simply , give it to us in laymans terms .
having said that look where "passion" got Howard Dean .....it's a no win situation
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:15 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
awwww Sibsie are you the least bit surprised?
I just got suckered in by that whole separation of the church and state stuff. I guess it's time for me to stop believing in Father Christmas too.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:38 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I just got suckered in by that whole separation of the church and state stuff. I guess it's time for me to stop believing in Father Christmas too.
er.....what you trying to say? ........Waddya mean stop believing in Santa? I still believe!!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Ah if only the rest of the world could vote here........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...327568,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselection...327511,00.html
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:28 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

So soz Celtic. I would karma you for even suggesting there is no Father Christmas but I've got to spread myself around before I do you again.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 7:45 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes. Bush gave the impression that the UK was trying to sell the US contaminated flu vaccine that the US turned down. I would be surprised if many Americans knew that the British government itself didn't grant the license for Chiron to release the vaccine because it was found to be contaminated.

NC Penguin
Do you know why they have to make it in the UK?

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the
nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit
margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late
80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu. The
strain he caught was one of the strains in that years vaccine made by a US
company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5
million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical
companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit
margin. Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and
Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US.

By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit
was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 8:55 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Final "P"? I thought we were on BlockBusters.

With Mr 'I'll take a P please' Bob Holness.

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:09 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

What 'P' is the head of state in the US?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

nice
P for Plonker is it *l*