Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Filing Taxes for 2006

Filing Taxes for 2006

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Filing Taxes for 2006

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Paying money is good! Be happy!
Not good when I wasn't expecting it

I would rather have the correct amount of tax deducted each pay check, so at the end of the year I neither owe or am owed any money. Like the good old Inland Revenue were able to achieve.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Murray
Not good when I wasn't expecting it

I would rather have the correct amount of tax deducted each pay check, so at the end of the year I neither owe or am owed any money. Like the good old Inland Revenue were able to achieve.
It's good! You've borrowed the money off the government tax free!

Have you started your pension yet? Consider bunging some money in an IRA. You've got till Apr 15 to do it and still count as last tax year and reduce your payment.

If you really want to pay more (and I'm loathed to tell you how to do it), add up how much extra you want to pay next year, divide this figure by the number of pay periods, and bung it in box 6 of your W4 -- leaving everything else the same. Then submit to the idiots at HR to lose for you. You can check they've lost it by reading your paycheck.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 23rd 2006 at 8:17 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you started your pension yet? Consider bunging some money in an IRA. You've got till Apr 15 to do it and still count as last tax year and reduce your payment.
Really??? I've just did a rough figure of our taxes and we are going to owe $389. But my husband was telling me last night he needed to start contributing to his 401k, is that the same thing as an IRA? Forgive me for being an airhead about this..... I did read that contributions to a 401 is tax deductible, right?

On the rest of your post......do you think someone should add quite a few deductions and then put money into an account? The problem being, of course, is how much money to invest and being good enough to do it.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really??? I've just did a rough figure of our taxes and we are going to owe $389. But my husband was telling me last night he needed to start contributing to his 401k, is that the same thing as an IRA? Forgive me for being an airhead about this..... I did read that contributions to a 401 is tax deductible, right?

On the rest of your post......do you think someone should add quite a few deductions and then put money into an account? The problem being, of course, is how much money to invest and being good enough to do it.
You can't do the tax trick with a 401k, I'm afraid!

401k and a standard IRA are similar and different!

How is his 401k matched?
How much is he thinking of bunging in every year (approx)?
How long is he thinking of staying with the company?
Who invests the 401k plan?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

2005 tax year will be my first full year here in US. I'm using Turbotax to file online - but so far, after entering our W2 information, we owe Uncle Sam a couple of thousand! :scared:

I guess we screwed up the W-4 form. My wife and I both but down Married, and only one exemption on each of our w4's at work. We both earn about the same and pay about the same tax.

What should we put on the w4 form to prevent us having to pay money at the end of next year?
I guess what's happening is that your combined income is pushing you into a higher marginal tax bracket than your two incomes separately do. On the W4 you have the option of withholding at the single rate even if you are married. That will have the effect of causing the amount of tax to be withheld to increase. Or, as has already been suggested, you can do your own 'fudge' by asking for an extra dollar amount to be withheld from each paycheck.

Have you tried running the numbers as married filing separately? If your incomes are roughly equal, there's a possibility it may result in a lower tax liability.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I guess what's happening is that your combined income is pushing you into a higher marginal tax bracket than your two incomes separately do. On the W4 you have the option of withholding at the single rate even if you are married. That will have the effect of causing the amount of tax to be withheld to increase. Or, as has already been suggested, you can do your own 'fudge' by asking for an extra dollar amount to be withheld from each paycheck.

Have you tried running the numbers as married filing separately? If your incomes are roughly equal, there's a possibility it may result in a lower tax liability.
Haven't tried married filing spearately - Hopefully there's something on Turbotax which will allow me to try this and see if it makes any difference! Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

It's good! You've borrowed the money off the government tax free!

If you really want to pay more (and I'm loathed to tell you how to do it), add up how much extra you want to pay next year, divide this figure by the number of pay periods, and bung it in box 6 of your W4 -- leaving everything else the same. Then submit to the idiots at HR to lose for you. You can check they've lost it by reading your paycheck.
Fatbrit - Forgive my ignorance - but if I have a 403(b), could I still open an IRA; contribute an amount equal to the amount due to be paid to Uncle Sam, and leave my tax owing figue for this year at zero?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:55 am
Septicity

Fatbrit - Forgive my ignorance - but if I have a 403(b), could I still open an IRA; contribute an amount equal to the amount due to be paid to Uncle Sam, and leave my tax owing figue for this year at zero?
The 403(b) is just a 401(k) for non-profits. Most (if not all) of the advice about a 401(k) you find on the web applies equally to a 403(b) -- it's just that they tend not to mention it.

The answer to your question is yes -- provided you don't earn too much and you don't contribute too much to it. You've also got a great holding account set up for your 403(b) were you to leave your job. Whether it is useful to you depends on how old you are and where your retirement planning is. Wouldn't say the IRA is as flexible or useful as the Roth IRA, but it does have the advantage that it is fully deductible now against your current tax bill.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do the tax trick with a 401k, I'm afraid!

401k and a standard IRA are similar and different!

How is his 401k matched?
How much is he thinking of bunging in every year (approx)?
How long is he thinking of staying with the company?
Who invests the 401k plan?
I'll get the figures and get back to you, he told me last night and I forgot.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

The 403(b) is just a 401(k) for non-profits. Most (if not all) of the advice about a 401(k) you find on the web applies equally to a 403(b) -- it's just that they tend not to mention it.

The answer to your question is yes -- provided you don't earn too much and you don't contribute too much to it. You've also got a great holding account set up for your 403(b) were you to leave your job. Whether it is useful to you depends on how old you are and where your retirement planning is. Wouldn't say the IRA is as flexible or useful as the Roth IRA, but it does have the advantage that it is fully deductible now against your current tax bill.
Karma and a virtual pint on it's way.....

Someone else suggested trying filing married but filing separately - so I'll try that first. If that doesn't work, I'd much rather save $2k in a retirement fund than send it to Uncle Sam.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:32 am
Septicity

Someone else suggested trying filing married but filing separately - so I'll try that first. If that doesn't work, I'd much rather save $2k in a retirement fund than send it to Uncle Sam.
You can try the effect of a Traditional IRA on your tax bill by just telling TurboTax you've opened one. Put dummy data for the account details in the fields except for the amount and it'll recalculate for you with the deduction. Then, if you go ahead put the real data in; if not just delete it.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:59 am
Septicity

You can try the effect of a Traditional IRA on your tax bill by just telling TurboTax you've opened one. Put dummy data for the account details in the fields except for the amount and it'll recalculate for you with the deduction. Then, if you go ahead put the real data in; if not just delete it.

P.S. Check the earning limits before you plan hard. They're not that high. Some may not slip through.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Karma and a virtual pint on it's way.....

Remember that your IRA contribution is a deduction from income rather than a credit for taxes paid. Thus contributing $2k will save you $2k x whatever your marginal tax rate is in taxes. You'll need to contribute a lot more than $2k to get $2k of tax savings, which probably means you'll hit up against the IRA contributiion limits.

Btw, contribution deductibility is also limited by income. For example, if you file mfj and your combined total income is over $75k you're out of luck - none of the contribution will be tax deductible.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:10 am
Septicity

Remember that your IRA contribution is a deduction from income rather than a credit for taxes paid. Thus contributing $2k will save you $2k x whatever your marginal tax rate is in taxes. You'll need to contribute a lot more than $2k to get $2k of tax savings, which probably means you'll hit up against the IRA contributiion limits.
Good point!

Btw, contribution deductibility is also limited by income. For example, if you file mfj and your combined total income is over $75k you're out of luck - none of the contribution will be tax deductible.
Believe the limit's actually $80k for 2005