British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fighting for your country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fighting-your-country-334326/)

Chorlton Oct 29th 2005 5:30 pm

Fighting for your country

A question occurred to me while reading the recruiting thread. If things really went pear shaped for the UK and the US, and a draft looked inevitable (for a wide age range), what would you do?

Rushman Oct 29th 2005 5:40 pm

Re: Fighting for your country

Pretend I'm French!!

OR change tact and say "Yes" everytime I'm asked if I'm Australian.

BritGuyTN Oct 29th 2005 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Pretend I'm French!!

OR change tact and say "Yes" everytime I'm asked if I'm Australian.

Good point - I will whip out me aussie passport

Rushman Oct 29th 2005 5:49 pm

Seriously though, I'd be back to the UK in shot just incase I got put in the US military. I'd rather be a lion led by a donkey, than a donkey led by a donkey.

Lord Lionheart Oct 29th 2005 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
A question occurred to me while reading the recruiting thread. If things really went pear shaped for the UK and the US, and a draft looked inevitable (for a wide age range), what would you do?

I'm too old, definitely time to invoke my boy's Finnish passports

Dan725 Oct 29th 2005 5:55 pm

Having done a long stint in the Brit Army and worked with the US on many an occasion, I know where I'd rather be, and its not here! In my opinion, the US military really does not look after it's troops half as well. A standard deployment for the Brit military is 6 months, with 2 weeks off in the middle and 4 weeks off when you get back - thats on top of your standard 6 weeks per year. Contrast this with the US military, where many soldiers are sent away with only a vague idea of when they might be back - it's not unheard of for them to do 16 months away in Iraq with only a couple of short trips back.

Wouldn't have a choice in the matter either I don't think - I'd get called back up by the UK.

Rushman Oct 29th 2005 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
Having done a long stint in the Brit Army and worked with the US on many an occasion, I know where I'd rather be, and its not here! In my opinion, the US military really does not look after it's troops half as well. A standard deployment for the Brit military is 6 months, with 2 weeks off in the middle and 4 weeks off when you get back - thats on top of your standard 6 weeks per year. Contrast this with the US military, where many soldiers are sent away with only a vague idea of when they might be back - it's not unheard of for them to do 16 months away in Iraq with only a couple of short trips back.

Wouldn't have a choice in the matter either I don't think - I'd get called back up by the UK.

Agree completely, but I would go back also because we recieve a far better and longer training IMO. Average US Marine basic training is 13 weeks, average Royal Marine training is 32 weeks. Nearly 3 times longer.

As for leaders:
Let's not forget the US general that ordered the UK paratroopers to attack the Russian paratroopers that parachuted into Pristina Airport in Kosovo during that action. That would've been WW3 if the CO of the Para's hadn't basically told him to "f**k off you stupid bastard".

Bob Oct 29th 2005 6:32 pm

speaking of fighting for country...the missus was speaking to a guy who's son is 17, anyway, the kid signed up to join the army, forged fathers signature of waiver and got in, father asked about it and kid said he didn't need to sign anything...anyway, after basic training, he's been shipped out to Iraq, he's still 17 and his tour of duty out there is for 3 years, and suddenly army life is a bit hard and not very nice like in the movies, or all those tv commercials he has seen and wants out, the army has told him tough shit as they have the waivers signed, and if he forged his dads signature, that's tough shit and stupid of him and not the army's problem....bit rough ain't it :D

Dan725 Oct 29th 2005 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
Agree completely, but I would go back also because we recieve a far better and longer training IMO. Average US Marine basic training is 13 weeks, average Royal Marine training is 32 weeks. Nearly 3 times longer.

As for leaders:
Let's not forget the US general that ordered the UK paratroopers to attack the Russian paratroopers that parachuted into Pristina Airport in Kosovo during that action. That would've been WW3 if the CO of the Para's hadn't basically told him to "f**k off you stupid bastard".

Yes indeedy. The other thing is that the UK military encourages independant thought at all levels and you're are expected to be able to adapt to any different kind of challenge. The US military on the other hand, because of their large size tend to go for people who do their one particular job very well, but tell them to do something outside of the job spec and they struggle. As has been quoted from Iraq "I'm a combat soldier, I kill the enemy. I don't do peacekeeping". Contrast with the Brits who do the war fighting then transition into peacekeeping - even at the private solider level we are taught the importance of hearts and minds. The US have been learning the hard way about this - not that we haven't had our share of problems lately over there, but at least we don't antagonise

Rushman Oct 29th 2005 7:04 pm

Yes indeedy. The other thing is that the UK military encourages independant thought at all levels and you're are expected to be able to adapt to any different kind of challenge. The US military on the other hand, because of their large size tend to go for people who do their one particular job very well, but tell them to do something outside of the job spec and they struggle. As has been quoted from Iraq "I'm a combat soldier, I kill the enemy. I don't do peacekeeping". Contrast with the Brits who do the war fighting then transition into peacekeeping - even at the private solider level we are taught the importance of hearts and minds. The US have been learning the hard way about this - not that we haven't had our share of problems lately over there, but at least we don't antagonise

I was going to add that we are taught to "think" and to "adapt". Also to expect the unexpected, to never undersestimate an enemy and use force as a last resort.

You're right about the hearts and minds too.

Arizona Wurzel Oct 30th 2005 1:52 am

I guess things must have changed in the British Army from when i joined up.I spent nearly three years away from home on active service in the Malayan jungle and never did any of us get eight or ten weeks off.We had one week off a year and that was it.We had to stay out there for the whole time.I would join the US forces tomorrow if i were not too old

Sarah Oct 30th 2005 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Chorlton

I'd stay, I wouldn't sweat it really. My husband is 29 and they'll take all the 17,18 and 19 year olds before they take him.

Bob Oct 30th 2005 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'd stay, I wouldn't sweat it really. My husband is 29 and they'll take all the 17,18 and 19 year olds before they take him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that....but your probably right :D

cindyabs Oct 30th 2005 2:29 am

In the US you sign up for the draft at 18.

Bob Oct 30th 2005 2:44 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
In the US you sign up for the draft at 18.

still can join up at 17 with a parental waiver...so the missus found out :D