Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fighting for your country

View Poll Results: Who would you fight for?
Go home to the UK and enlist there
19
51.35%
Stay here and be drafted
9
24.32%
Run, I hear Goa is nice...
9
24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Fighting for your country

Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:30 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,750
Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fighting for your country

A question occurred to me while reading the recruiting thread. If things really went pear shaped for the UK and the US, and a draft looked inevitable (for a wide age range), what would you do?
Chorlton is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:40 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Pretend I'm French!!

OR change tact and say "Yes" everytime I'm asked if I'm Australian.

Last edited by rushman; Oct 29th 2005 at 5:44 pm.
Rushman is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:45 pm
  #3  
Mr. Grumpy
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by rushman
Pretend I'm French!!

OR change tact and say "Yes" everytime I'm asked if I'm Australian.

Good point - I will whip out me aussie passport
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:49 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Seriously though, I'd be back to the UK in shot just incase I got put in the US military. I'd rather be a lion led by a donkey, than a donkey led by a donkey.
Rushman is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:49 pm
  #5  
Banned
 
Lord Lionheart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Santa Monica,CA from Birmingham, UK
Posts: 18,402
Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Chorlton
A question occurred to me while reading the recruiting thread. If things really went pear shaped for the UK and the US, and a draft looked inevitable (for a wide age range), what would you do?
I'm too old, definitely time to invoke my boy's Finnish passports
Lord Lionheart is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 5:55 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Dan725's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,315
Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Having done a long stint in the Brit Army and worked with the US on many an occasion, I know where I'd rather be, and its not here! In my opinion, the US military really does not look after it's troops half as well. A standard deployment for the Brit military is 6 months, with 2 weeks off in the middle and 4 weeks off when you get back - thats on top of your standard 6 weeks per year. Contrast this with the US military, where many soldiers are sent away with only a vague idea of when they might be back - it's not unheard of for them to do 16 months away in Iraq with only a couple of short trips back.

Wouldn't have a choice in the matter either I don't think - I'd get called back up by the UK.
Dan725 is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 6:12 pm
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Dan725
Having done a long stint in the Brit Army and worked with the US on many an occasion, I know where I'd rather be, and its not here! In my opinion, the US military really does not look after it's troops half as well. A standard deployment for the Brit military is 6 months, with 2 weeks off in the middle and 4 weeks off when you get back - thats on top of your standard 6 weeks per year. Contrast this with the US military, where many soldiers are sent away with only a vague idea of when they might be back - it's not unheard of for them to do 16 months away in Iraq with only a couple of short trips back.

Wouldn't have a choice in the matter either I don't think - I'd get called back up by the UK.
Agree completely, but I would go back also because we recieve a far better and longer training IMO. Average US Marine basic training is 13 weeks, average Royal Marine training is 32 weeks. Nearly 3 times longer.


As for leaders:
Let's not forget the US general that ordered the UK paratroopers to attack the Russian paratroopers that parachuted into Pristina Airport in Kosovo during that action. That would've been WW3 if the CO of the Para's hadn't basically told him to "f**k off you stupid bastard".
Rushman is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 6:32 pm
  #8  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,716
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

speaking of fighting for country...the missus was speaking to a guy who's son is 17, anyway, the kid signed up to join the army, forged fathers signature of waiver and got in, father asked about it and kid said he didn't need to sign anything...anyway, after basic training, he's been shipped out to Iraq, he's still 17 and his tour of duty out there is for 3 years, and suddenly army life is a bit hard and not very nice like in the movies, or all those tv commercials he has seen and wants out, the army has told him tough shit as they have the waivers signed, and if he forged his dads signature, that's tough shit and stupid of him and not the army's problem....bit rough ain't it
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 6:39 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Dan725's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,315
Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by rushman
Agree completely, but I would go back also because we recieve a far better and longer training IMO. Average US Marine basic training is 13 weeks, average Royal Marine training is 32 weeks. Nearly 3 times longer.


As for leaders:
Let's not forget the US general that ordered the UK paratroopers to attack the Russian paratroopers that parachuted into Pristina Airport in Kosovo during that action. That would've been WW3 if the CO of the Para's hadn't basically told him to "f**k off you stupid bastard".
Yes indeedy. The other thing is that the UK military encourages independant thought at all levels and you're are expected to be able to adapt to any different kind of challenge. The US military on the other hand, because of their large size tend to go for people who do their one particular job very well, but tell them to do something outside of the job spec and they struggle. As has been quoted from Iraq "I'm a combat soldier, I kill the enemy. I don't do peacekeeping". Contrast with the Brits who do the war fighting then transition into peacekeeping - even at the private solider level we are taught the importance of hearts and minds. The US have been learning the hard way about this - not that we haven't had our share of problems lately over there, but at least we don't antagonise
Dan725 is offline  
Old Oct 29th 2005, 7:04 pm
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yes indeedy. The other thing is that the UK military encourages independant thought at all levels and you're are expected to be able to adapt to any different kind of challenge. The US military on the other hand, because of their large size tend to go for people who do their one particular job very well, but tell them to do something outside of the job spec and they struggle. As has been quoted from Iraq "I'm a combat soldier, I kill the enemy. I don't do peacekeeping". Contrast with the Brits who do the war fighting then transition into peacekeeping - even at the private solider level we are taught the importance of hearts and minds. The US have been learning the hard way about this - not that we haven't had our share of problems lately over there, but at least we don't antagonise
I was going to add that we are taught to "think" and to "adapt". Also to expect the unexpected, to never undersestimate an enemy and use force as a last resort.

You're right about the hearts and minds too.
Rushman is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:52 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 274
Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Dan725
Having done a long stint in the Brit Army and worked with the US on many an occasion, I know where I'd rather be, and its not here! In my opinion, the US military really does not look after it's troops half as well. A standard deployment for the Brit military is 6 months, with 2 weeks off in the middle and 4 weeks off when you get back - thats on top of your standard 6 weeks per year. Contrast this with the US military, where many soldiers are sent away with only a vague idea of when they might be back - it's not unheard of for them to do 16 months away in Iraq with only a couple of short trips back.

Wouldn't have a choice in the matter either I don't think - I'd get called back up by the UK.
I guess things must have changed in the British Army from when i joined up.I spent nearly three years away from home on active service in the Malayan jungle and never did any of us get eight or ten weeks off.We had one week off a year and that was it.We had to stay out there for the whole time.I would join the US forces tomorrow if i were not too old
Arizona Wurzel is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:19 am
  #12  
Senior Moment
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Chorlton
A question occurred to me while reading the recruiting thread. If things really went pear shaped for the UK and the US, and a draft looked inevitable (for a wide age range), what would you do?
I'd stay, I wouldn't sweat it really. My husband is 29 and they'll take all the 17,18 and 19 year olds before they take him.
Sarah is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:28 am
  #13  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,716
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'd stay, I wouldn't sweat it really. My husband is 29 and they'll take all the 17,18 and 19 year olds before they take him.
I wouldn't be so sure about that....but your probably right
Bob is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:29 am
  #14  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

In the US you sign up for the draft at 18.
cindyabs is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:44 am
  #15  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,716
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fighting for your country

Originally Posted by cindyabs
In the US you sign up for the draft at 18.
still can join up at 17 with a parental waiver...so the missus found out
Bob is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.