Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few questions for you ....

A few questions for you ....

Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:34 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions for you ....

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I threw my crushed eggshells into the garden, and only discovered a week later that they attract raccoons - who came around for a treat.
We had raccoons come in our house through the cat flap. They smelled the cat food, in the laundry room, which was on the other side of the cat flap. We were having our kitchen remodeled, and we put some of our food in the living room. They came in the LR and opened a sleeve of saltine crackers and ate the lot. We had to have animal control come and catch them, as they had become too "house friendly" by then, and could have rabies. We then got a cat flap that has a magnet, so only our cat could come in. Beware!

Last edited by Mallory; Jul 13th 2007 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ariel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to all

We have a toploader machine and I have to say it's miles better than the front loader I have in the UK, in terms of getting clothes clean and they are often nearly dry at the end of the wash cycle. We use Cheer (I think) as OH can't have anything with chemicals/smells on his clothes. I am a mucky pup after gardening and it always gets grass stains and mud out.
Where we are in Ventura they don't seem to be too big on the recycling thing, although we do have a separate dumpster for recyclable items, but the same truck picks up all the refuse..... maybe they sort it at their site!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We had raccoons come in our house through the cat flap. They smelled the cat food, in the laundry room, which was on the other side of the cat flap. We were having our kitchen remodeled, and we put some of our food in the living room. They came in the LR and opened a sleeve of saltine crackers and ate the lot. We had to have animal control come and catch them, as they had become too "house friendly" by then, and could have rabies. We then got a cat flap that has a magnet, so only out cat could come in. Beware!
I know someone who had racoons in the loft...they had to have the house fumigated after they'd been removed.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know someone who had racoons in the loft...they had to have the house fumigated after they'd been removed.
raccoons scare me. if you go outside in the dark, and see one staring at you.

It's scarier than Posh!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:23 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's scarier than Posh!
People used to keep them as pets kind of like a cat. Maybe they still do in places like Ohio.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by hatfield1
People used to keep them as pets kind of like a cat. Maybe they still do in places like Ohio.
They fatten them up for the pot.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
They fatten them up for the pot.
Would that be the 'crock-pot' ?!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana
Would that be the 'crock-pot' ?!
Nice, Raccoon and chips anyone?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ariel the Mermaid
We have a toploader machine and I have to say it's miles better than the front loader I have in the UK, in terms of getting clothes clean and they are often nearly dry at the end of the wash cycle. We use Cheer (I think) as OH can't have anything with chemicals/smells on his clothes. I am a mucky pup after gardening and it always gets grass stains and mud out.
Where we are in Ventura they don't seem to be too big on the recycling thing, although we do have a separate dumpster for recyclable items, but the same truck picks up all the refuse..... maybe they sort it at their site!
Thanks Ariel

My washes seem to be a bit better since I've lessened the amounts I put in the machine, and the sheets don't seem to tangle quite as much now I've discovered the 'sheets' setting

Bought a massive bottle of some sort of detergent (can't remember the name now, but it looked good!) but will refer to this thread when I need to replenish.

As for the refuse .. discovered a place half an hour away in Rosenberg which takes everything - all plastics and every colour of glass. I loaded the car up the night before last as yesterday we took our driving tests nearby to the recycling place, so took it all after the tests. Killed 2 birds and all that and kinder to the environment!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Nice, Raccoon and chips anyone?

I do have a SOH sometimes!

Actually, it's coming back a bit. Does that mean the homesickness is fading?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana

I do have a SOH sometimes!

Actually, it's coming back a bit. Does that mean the homesickness is fading?
Maybe, I hope it doesn’t mean you like eating varmint.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Coyotes are primarily carnivores, and even then they generally like it pre-dead (i.e. roadkill and the like). They occasionally go after fruits and vegetables, but give them a 'sail kitty' any time of day and they'll be happy.

(sail kitty = cat that has been flattend by traffic which you can pick up and throw like a frisbee)

Anyway, there is a new waser I saw at Lowes a few months ago that has a steam cycle that helps clean the clothes. You can probably find it at a Lowes or Home Depot or Best Buy. Was expensive though.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Coyotes are primarily carnivores, and even then they generally like it pre-dead (i.e. roadkill and the like). They occasionally go after fruits and vegetables, but give them a 'sail kitty' any time of day and they'll be happy.

(sail kitty = cat that has been flattend by traffic which you can pick up and throw like a frisbee)
Thanks .. another reason to keep cat indoors!

Anyway, there is a new waser I saw at Lowes a few months ago that has a steam cycle that helps clean the clothes. You can probably find it at a Lowes or Home Depot or Best Buy. Was expensive though.
Is this the one being advertised with the (uber thin) woman coming in wearing a very light dress she's had on all day, tossing it in the machine on steam then dashing out with her OH?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's scarier than Posh!
It was on the lunchtime news that a dozen people in New York State are being tested for rabies after rescuing a baby racoon.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was on the lunchtime news that a dozen people in New York State are being tested for rabies after rescuing a baby racoon.
That’s what you get trying to be nice and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.