Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A few questions about American friends...

A few questions about American friends...

Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:13 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about American friends...

Originally Posted by Elvira
Virginia...

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Virginia
Sorry didn't read your reply, got there before me
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the Revolutionary War?
Yes if you read history you will see that it was a civil war. Not a war of independance or even a revolution as the yanks like to misname it. those men were british and they fell out with their distant government t. Rhode Island came out for the restored charles the second immediately I think that tells you a lot about how close the connections in new england were.
Also if you know anything about the line of proclamation then you will understand how desperate the colonies were to get rid of the rule of law. sorry to be a bore but history masters and all that...
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:15 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Yes if you read history you will see that it was a civil war. Not a war of independance or even a revolution as the yanks like to misname it. those men were british and they fell out with their distant government t. Rhode Island came out for the restored charles the second immediately I think that tells you a lot about how close the connections in new england were.
Also if you know anything about the line of proclamation then you will understand how desperate the colonies were to get rid of the rule of law. sorry to be a bore but history masters and all that...
Cindy knows her stuff on history
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

You're preaching to the choir here-I have at least 3 Revolutionary War vets as direct ancestors- one was a Minuteman, one was at the Battle of Saratoga (which was the turning point in the War btw) and one at Valley Forge. I'm New England born and bred so I so know the ties.

I also know about the Dutch and French support-John Adams was able to get the Dutch to give "us" a much needed loan and meanwhile Ben Franklin was dancing his heart out in France and charming the folks there.

Would you rename the French Revolution the French Civil War? The English Civil war was certainly a "revolution" of sorts, but it always has been called the Civil War.

Now...........if you want to get into the different names that US wars have, the Civil War would be the one. In the North it was always called the Civil War, the South preferred to call it the War Between the States or even as I was informed by a little old lady in Petersburg, Viriginia, while touring the church there (one of 3 buildings in the world that has ALL Tiffany windows), that it was the "Woah of Nothun Aggresshun.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:25 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

so how does that explain french involvement in the war of independence? civil wars are wars fought on the same mainland against armies of the same country. america was a seperate country and even then the peoples of the colonies were known as american colonists. george washington was a 2nd generation american brit.

there were also many thousands of irish whom fought against british colonial rule.

the british lost the war of independence so have to resort to falsely naming it a civil war to save face.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Well maybe I didnt word that how I meant it to sound LOL
My baby is jumping all over me, so its hard to concentrate!

I make freinds with anyone, its one of the things Im well known for. I just cant seem to pin them down here, Ive tried to find common ground, which is pretty darned hard. Work freinds for dh seem to only want to be work friends and not after hours. Everyone around us just wont chat for long.
Im at a bit of a loss, for me its a real suprise as I had lots of friends back in England. Ive tried everything I can think of, must be the culture difference I guess.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

You're preaching to the choir here-I have at least 3 Revolutionary War vets as direct ancestors- one was a Minuteman, one was at the Battle of Saratoga (which was the turning point in the War btw) and one at Valley Forge. I'm New England born and bred so I so know the ties.

I also know about the Dutch and French support-John Adams was able to get the Dutch to give "us" a much needed loan and meanwhile Ben Franklin was dancing his heart out in France and charming the folks there.

Would you rename the French Revolution the French Civil War? The English Civil war was certainly a "revolution" of sorts, but it always has been called the Civil War.

Now...........if you want to get into the different names that US wars have, the Civil War would be the one. In the North it was always called the Civil War, the South preferred to call it the War Between the States or even as I was informed by a little old lady in Petersburg, Viriginia, while touring the church there (one of 3 buildings in the world that has ALL Tiffany windows), that it was the "Woah of Nothun Aggresshun.
Aaah but would you admit that the american "revolution" was a civil war between two sets of brits? I would be interested to hear your views on the line of proclamation.? As for the french I would say that was also a civil war. and look at the bloody mess it took them to... off with everyones head
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Well maybe I didnt word that how I meant it to sound LOL
My baby is jumping all over me, so its hard to concentrate!

I make freinds with anyone, its one of the things Im well known for. I just cant seem to pin them down here, Ive tried to find common ground, which is pretty darned hard. Work freinds for dh seem to only want to be work friends and not after hours. Everyone around us just wont chat for long.
Im at a bit of a loss, for me its a real suprise as I had lots of friends back in England. Ive tried everything I can think of, must be the culture difference I guess.
Throw a very strong cocktail party and wheedle out the ones you want to be friends with. if you like someone pissed then you'll kike 'em sober - hopefully
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah but would you admit that the american "revolution" was a civil war between two sets of brits? I would be interested to hear your views on the line of proclamation.? As for the french I would say that was also a civil war. and look at the bloody mess it took them to... off with everyones head
Well I don't think Charles I was too happy......
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:39 am
Sursum corda

civil war
n.
1. A war between factions or regions of the same country.
2. A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: "The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul" Bill Powell.
3. Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States.
4. Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.

PS of course there is nothing "civil" about war.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

civil war
n.
1. A war between factions or regions of the same country.
2. A state of hostility or conflict between elements within an organization: "The broadcaster is in the midst of a civil war that has brought it to the brink of a complete management overhaul" Bill Powell.
3. Civil War The war in the United States between the Union and the Confederacy from 1861 to 1865. Also called War Between the States.
4. Civil War The war in England between the Parliamentarians and the Royalists from 1642 to 1648.

PS of course there is nothing "civil" about war.
Exactly the "war of independence" and the french civil war were the same thing. I could'nt have made my point better. Any views on the line of proclamation - its key to whole development of the british colonist stance.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 3:52 am
Sursum corda

Exactly the "war of independence" and the french civil war were the same thing. I could'nt have made my point better. Any views on the line of proclamation - its key to whole development of the british colonist stance.
I'm proclaiming it the Revolutionary War or if you prefer the War of Independence. Since we won we get to name it,

Would that mean that the French and Indian War should be renamed then? Weren't there Brits involved in that? The French weren't fighting the Indians.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm proclaiming it the Revolutionary War or if you prefer the War of Independence. Since we won we get to name it,

Would that mean that the French and Indian War should be renamed then? Weren't there Brits involved in that? The French weren't fighting the Indians.
The line of proclamation is key to the development of the US if you dont know what it is look it up in the Encyclopdeia Britannia, it is key, politically and historically..
My families history and name goes back to the viking invasion of the UK but that doesnt count for nothing if you cant put it in context? By the way the family name is Hooton. Ever heard of Sutton Hoo?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:48 am
Sursum corda

The line of proclamation is key to the development of the US if you dont know what it is look it up in the Encyclopdeia Britannia, it is key, politically and historically..
My families history and name goes back to the viking invasion of the UK but that doesnt count for nothing if you cant put it in context? By the way the family name is Hooton. Ever heard of Sutton Hoo?
Yes I do know what the line of proclamation is, I did study US history.

My point about bringing family into it AND mentioning where I sprang from is I was well aware of the Revolutionary War and New England's role in it. You may call it whatever you want, and decry our knowledge of our own history until the cows come home, but the "official" name still stands. If you like we could call it the War of/for Independence?

I have not been to Sutton Hoo, I have however, seen the results of the find at the British Museum. In my youth I wanted to be an archaeologist so it was of interest to me as were many other things there.

My maiden name is Celtic, but since that had nothing to do with the Revolutionary War, no need to have brought that in.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone fancy a pint?

I'll get me coat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.