Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fedup with USA

Fedup with USA

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Tom20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fedup with USA

I got married to an American citizen and we both were living happily (one of my friend sponsored my affidavit of support because that time I don’t make enough money to support my self). I got my temporary Green card I was so excited. After 1 year and 4 months my wife started cheating me we try to solve the problem but it just didn't work out, now she is not living with me. I am totally broken heart I feel so bad because I miss my wife. I met my wife like 3 years ago since then I was working hard to make money but we spend lot of money on vacations and all the other electronic stuff and furniture with using my credit cards now credit card debt is like 30K. Now I lost my job and my wife forced me to apply for the Divorce. I have been trying to pay my debt but I cannot make it. What am thinking is I will apply for the bankruptcy and go back to my own country and I don’t want to apply for my permanent Green card. HERE IS MY BIG QUESTION WHAT HAPPENS TO MY FRIEND WHO SPONSRED ME WITH THE AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT, DOES HE GET INTO TROUBLE.
Anykinda help and suggestion is appreciated
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fedup with USA

Originally Posted by Tom20
I got married to an American citizen and we both were living happily (one of my friend sponsored my affidavit of support because that time I don’t make enough money to support my self). I got my temporary Green card I was so excited.
Sponsors who completed and signed Form I-864 may be required to repay the government for any means-tested public benefits you use after you become an LPR. There is no requirement that a state sue sponsors for reimbursement. But states are required to request repayment where it is determined that Form I-864 was signed by the sponsor and that none of the exemptions apply.

Your sponsor’s responsibility begins as soon as you become an LPR based on a Form I-864 filed by the sponsor. If your sponsor signed an enforceable affidavit of support (Form I-864), your sponsor's responsibility continues until one of the following occurs:

You leave the U.S. permanently abandoning your residence.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom20
I got married to an American citizen and we both were living happily (one of my friend sponsored my affidavit of support because that time I don’t make enough money to support my self). I got my temporary Green card I was so excited. After 1 year and 4 months my wife started cheating me we try to solve the problem but it just didn't work out, now she is not living with me. I am totally broken heart I feel so bad because I miss my wife. I met my wife like 3 years ago since then I was working hard to make money but we spend lot of money on vacations and all the other electronic stuff and furniture with using my credit cards now credit card debt is like 30K. Now I lost my job and my wife forced me to apply for the Divorce. I have been trying to pay my debt but I cannot make it. What am thinking is I will apply for the bankruptcy and go back to my own country and I don’t want to apply for my permanent Green card. HERE IS MY BIG QUESTION WHAT HAPPENS TO MY FRIEND WHO SPONSRED ME WITH THE AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT, DOES HE GET INTO TROUBLE.
Anykinda help and suggestion is appreciated
Wow what a mess for you sorry !!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

seems to me, you're more fed up with the situation rather than the USA.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:28 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Manc
seems to me, you're more fed up with the situation rather than the USA.
Yup.

Anyway, if you leave the country permanently, the sponsor is absolved of support responsibility.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:20 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathan barley
Yup.

Anyway, if you leave the country permanently, the sponsor is absolved of support responsibility.
which begs the question (and I'm not trying to be an arse): Is the sponsor relieved of all responsibility, or just the financial burden of debts ran up after the date of leaving the US?
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 8:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
which begs the question (and I'm not trying to be an arse): Is the sponsor relieved of all responsibility, or just the financial burden of debts ran up after the date of leaving the US?
Under the I-864, the Sponsor is not ever held responsible for consumer debts. It's spelled out fairly clearly that it's for the repayment of means-tested benies, as Ray said.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nathan barley
Yup.

Hi i really appreciated for your help. I got only conditonal Green Card and my wife left me am kinda so alone right now. My question is if i leave the country with out applying for the Permanent Green Card what happens to my sponser does he get in to anykinda troble. Any seggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time.
Tom.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Sponsors who completed and signed Form I-864 may be required to repay the government for any means-tested public benefits you use after you become an LPR. There is no requirement that a state sue sponsors for reimbursement. But states are required to request repayment where it is determined that Form I-864 was signed by the sponsor and that none of the exemptions apply.

Your sponsor’s responsibility begins as soon as you become an LPR based on a Form I-864 filed by the sponsor. If your sponsor signed an enforceable affidavit of support (Form I-864), your sponsor's responsibility continues until one of the following occurs:

You leave the U.S. permanently abandoning your residence.
Hi i really appreciated for your help. I got only conditonal Green Card and my wife left me am kinda so alone right now. My question is if i leave the country with out applying for the Permanent Green Card what happens to my sponser does he get in to anykinda troble. Any seggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time.
Tom.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

Thanks for your time.
Tom.