Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The fear is starting to hit me

The fear is starting to hit me

Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Tollers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The fear is starting to hit me

It's been a long stresfull first few months of 2010. I closed 2009 with my first trip to our head office in Silicon Valley for a job interview. A month of patient waiting and i received an offer with the question "how soon can you relocate?". For some reason, everyone though a fortnight would be a reasonable timeframe, however, I was able to bring them down to reality (although i suspect think they believe im just slow).

Anyway, I'm aiming for an end of March move, with a weekend off before starting in the office. The last month has been chocka with visa forms, interviews, packing shipping, tax meetings, bank account set-up, bill cancellation etc etc etc. Wow.....moving is stressfull!

Anyway. I think i haven't forgotten anything major. I'm going to book my flight and temporary accomodation tonight (praying BA dont strike as they have cheapest excess baggage costs). Lots of things still in progress, but i think i'm in control.

Now......i need to start planning on the next set of stresses and bureaucracy from when i land.

Ah well, it's all good fun really! I can't wait for a time when i can sit back and think......I have nothing to do! Guess that's about 3 months away!

Tollers
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The fear is starting to hit me

Hard work isnt it!

Good luck, just think of the sunshine, although it hailed yesterday!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep going...you're nearly here!!!
Lists....makes me feel better if I list everything I have to do, even if I don't do any of it. Got me through the move
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can feel the stress in that post Tollers.
Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly for you. Almost Welcome to California.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:00 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortnight? pffffft slacker. 3 days at the most.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the encouraging words.

You're right It has been tough. People at work have commented that I look older (i'm 32), greyer and balder. That lead me having a "crisis" last weekend after a bottle of Malbec and shaving my head

I'm coming on an L1 and have had relocation assistance, so there was no list ever made for me, i've just been organically trying to work things out, so i have a post-it system running stuck to my monitor.

It's hard to think of the sunshine, as i've no idea what it will really be like. I've only spent 6 hours in San Francisco so far and that was in the rain, but it seemed to have more life than Sunnyvale (excluding "the Duke of Edinburgh"), so my plan is to live in the city.

Exciting times to come I'm sure i'll be on here every now and then for the next few months. Not sure why i didn't come earlier!

Tollers
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hey watch it matey, downtown Sunnyvale is great fun on Friday and Saturday nights!

When you say the city which one? They're all city's!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Tollers)
Just take lots of deep breaths and take one day at a time!! Let us know how things are going, we are all here to help with the stress and help if we can
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep calm Trollers. You're nearly there and sounds as if you're mostly in control. Just try and keep looking forward to your new adventure which is just around the corner. We've only been here a few weeks, but I wish I had embraced it as an adventure instead of stressing for months on end because it all comes together in the end.

The guys on here have been brilliant for me so keep posting as there's always someone else, somewhere, in the same boat as you.

Nearly there!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tollers
...I've only spent 6 hours in San Francisco so far and that was in the rain, but it seemed to have more life than Sunnyvale (excluding "the Duke of Edinburgh"), so my plan is to live in the city.

I can see the attraction of SF over Sunnyvale but make sure you do a short term rent in SF first - if you have to go into the office every day, that commute is going to get old very quickly!

Good luck with the move - if you're lucky the rain will be over by the time you're here.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
I can see the attraction of SF over Sunnyvale but make sure you do a short term rent in SF first - if you have to go into the office every day, that commute is going to get old very quickly!

Good luck with the move - if you're lucky the rain will be over by the time you're here.
Actually I would try to do a short term rent near Sunnyvale first - you will be busy for the first couple of months and really don't need to spend 2 hours a day in a car while you are settling in.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

OOOOOOOOOO

I'm about to move out of a 2 bed rental in Sunnyvale (downtown) see we can plan your life for you
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Hey....less of the "Trollers" please. It's very definitely "Tollers"

Yup. OK.....you're right, they're all cities, but i'm still used to London, when i was in Sunnyvale it felt a wee bit suburban. As you suggest, I was tempted to ask for first month accomodation there, but as i'll have a free shuttle bus to silly valley and i am planning on finding a place in SF, it probably makes more sense to familiarise myself with the city. Also that gives me the added bonus of not having to buy a car immediately as my savings are probably going to have to go towards furniture.

I definitely do see it as an adventure, it depends on exactly which task i'm doing, but i'm past the worst.

Now....BA...please tell me when you're striking so I can book my ticket tonight

Can't help but wonder if i know any of you already. LOL
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to CA it could be worse you might of ended up my side of the Altamont lol.

When I moved out to Bali I had 3 days notice amazing what you can do when you have too
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym

When you say the city which one? They're all city's!
I grew up in Northern California. When someone says 'The City', there's only one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.