Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FBAR delinquency and VDP

FBAR delinquency and VDP

Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBAR delinquency and VDP

CAUTION:
The exchange rate on the Treasury site that Robin has linked changes quarterly. Be sure the rate you are using is for the 4th quarter, and is the rate for 31 December.

The rate currently showing, for example, is for the 3rd quarter.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The instructions for Form 8938 emphasise that "You must use the foreign currency exchange rate on the last day of the tax year, .." so that is quite different from the yearly average rate..
XE has historical exchange rate data for every day going back to 1995.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, that is the yearly average. For Form 8938, though, we are told to use rates from this table. http://www.fms.treas.gov/intn.html The instructions for Form 8938 emphasise that "You must use the foreign currency exchange rate on the last day of the tax year, .." so that is quite different from the yearly average rate..
Yep but my CPA does the FBAR on the highest value on any day of the year, and the IRS average exchange rate to get it to $s.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yep but my CPA does the FBAR on the highest value on any day of the year, and the IRS average exchange rate to get it to $s.
Ah, the old problem. Even CPAs can make mistakes, and often do.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought.

What do you do about an endowment life insurance policy which:-

a) has a surrender value which is unknown unless you apply to cash it in

and

b) has an estimated maturing value exceeding $10K on November 30, 2012

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 14th 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another thought.

What do you do about an endowment life insurance policy which:-

a) has a surrender value which is unknown unless you apply to cash it in

and

b) has an estimated maturing value exceeding $10K on November 30, 2012
I'll offer you my guess, but it is only a guess (ask your CPA? ).

If it can be surrendered before maturity (as in tomorrow), you will need to determine that value and declare its highest surrender value during the year. Life insurance policies held in foreign countries are reportable on FBAR.

Since you live in the US, be sure to clarify this for Form 8938. The lowest thresholds are for those resident in the US. A foreign policy is prime meat for 8938.

I now await the inevitable post which will prove me wrong, and I will not be surprised.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 14th 2011 at 7:50 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.. FBAR has one set of instructions, Form 8938 different instructions.. FBAR (if I remember correctly) allows you to use any appropriate exchange rate, but Form 8938 tells you to use one specific official, published source.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes.. FBAR has one set of instructions, Form 8938 different instructions.. FBAR (if I remember correctly) allows you to use any appropriate exchange rate, but Form 8938 tells you to use one specific official, published source.
From the latest FBAR instructions (2011):

In the case of non-United States currency, convert the maximum account value for each account into United States dollars. Convert foreign currency by using the Treasury's Financial Management Service rate (this rate may be found at www.fms.treas.gov) from the last day of the calendar year. If no Treasury Financial Management Service rate is available, use another verifiable exchange rate and provide the source of that rate.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to add to my previous post on life insurance policies. From the latest (2011) FBAR rules:

A financial account also includes........, an insurance policy with a cash value (such as a whole life insurance policy), .......

Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP

Preparing the UK self assessment usually take at most one and a half hours. One hour for info gathering, and 20 to 30 minutes to fill in the self assessment with the foreign income pages. It's simple for me since all my income (worldwide) is declared. If you have ROTHs or other treaty exempt items, I assume it may be more complicated.

All my income worldwide will also be declared if I return to the UK with the intention to stay and I figured that the ROTH would make things easier as there's no tax consequences in the US or the UK. Some reading lead me to the conclusion that I'll enter the ROTH in SA-106 and claim exemption from UK tax because of the Treaty Article 17, blah blah in the "Any other information" section of SA-100
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:26 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that so far for the FBAR I have used average exchange rates and stated where the rate came from. Whether I should or not, or whether they've now changed that, I'll worry about with checking the instructions for the imminent form completion exercise. Keeps me on my toes.

As for endowments, that's a whole different problem. Valuation will have to be on the basis that the highest surrender value during the year was at the end of the year - there's no other way that is practical.

In a year when an endowment matures, presumably it means another example of double reporting...the value of the endowment, while it was still active, and the value of the account the maturity value gets paid into. Senseless.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:35 pm

Just to add to my previous post on life insurance policies. From the latest (2011) FBAR rules:

A financial account also includes........, an insurance policy with a cash value (such as a whole life insurance policy), .......
I'll declare at the value it would payout if I died. There is no way to workout what the surrender value would be, unless you surrender it.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
All my income worldwide will also be declared if I return to the UK with the intention to stay and I figured that the ROTH would make things easier as there's no tax consequences in the US or the UK. Some reading lead me to the conclusion that I'll enter the ROTH in SA-106 and claim exemption from UK tax because of the Treaty Article 17, blah blah in the "Any other information" section of SA-100
Just a tip: be sure the exemption takes place on the body of SA-106, or an additional form. The UK accountant (the one I'm using to attempt to double my monthly withholdings) told me they don't always read the "Any other information" (Page TR 6, line 19). They didn't in my case. Remember my comment about the new computer programme being 'God'. By the time you retire, it will probably be entirely different anyway.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 14th 2011 at 8:49 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:02 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Just a tip: be sure the exemption takes place on the body of SA-106, or an additional form. The UK accountant (the one I'm using to attempt to double my monthly withholdings) told me they don't always read the "Any other information" (Page TR 6, line 19). They didn't in my case. Remember my comment about the new computer programme being 'God'. By the time you retire, it will probably be entirely different anyway.
Yes, in the SA-106 overseas pensions column F, taxable amount, I'll enter 0
Is it best to attach a sheet or write in the margin to explain the treaty exemption and point them to the "any other information" section of SA-100?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Yes, in the SA-106 overseas pensions column F, taxable amount, I'll enter 0
Is it best to attach a sheet or write in the margin to explain the treaty exemption and point them to the "any other information" section of SA-100?
You can try writing on the form. The accountant said they automatically discard any 'cover letters' straight in the bin. That seems to be what happened when I tried to tell them that I would be receiving the French pensions until I die.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 14th 2011 at 9:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.