Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fbar and 8938 nightmare

Fbar and 8938 nightmare

Old Oct 29th 2016, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fbar and 8938 nightmare

Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto - thanks. So you were out of pocket a total of about $20k, right?

FYI - I was listening to a baseball game in the Bay Area on AM radio - generally the home of tedious, cheesy ads for auto-repair stores, paycheck cash advances, and the like, when I heard a commercial for a tax firm, and they specifically addressed the complex requirements for foreign accounts. It went something like " ... do you have a foreign bank account, or signature authority over any financial vehicle overseas? If so, you may be considered a criminal by the IRS ... don't trust your returns to the wrong accountant, as doing so could leave you facing massive fines and possible jail time ... we have extensive experience with the complex requirements ... ". Thought of you ...
Old Oct 29th 2016, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Update and info appreciated.

To anyone who's had foreign transactions, even simple ones, and is seeking an accountant: There are accountants who have several stars on reviews, or are recommended by tax lawyers with several stars, who claim to have experience and knowledge regarding taxes on foreign transactions, but actually are surprisingly ignorant, and will give you basically wrong information. It's surprising really, they would need to spend just a little time reading some posts on this site and they would learn enough not to mislead people as they do. So anyone with foreign transactions: be careful not to get misled by ignorant accountants. They should say: "I don't know, I'll find out and let you know", but they don't, they just give you wrong information. (perhaps their thinking is that they won't get the client if they say that they don't know).
Old Oct 29th 2016, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
His accounting/tax preparation fees would be tax deductible
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Scotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond repute

To me the most costly part of this was the amount of time I had to devote to it: the interference in my day job and in my family life (wife and 3 kids under 5). The sheer volume of work, reporting and deciphering unclear tax rules (even to experts) and spotting errors in a 280 page tax return makes me so angry. In the end I realised nobody was going to give me a clear path forward. I had to pick one based on my research and have 'experts' help make it happen.

... we have extensive experience with the complex requirements ... ". Thought of you ...
Ha! My other learning here is that it is simply almost impossible to get things reported just right. After submitting the amended returns and doing my 2015 return STILL things were being discovered that 2 experienced accountants and myself had been looking at for 6 months and had nevertheless overlooked. One thing is reporting income (which is relatively easy to spot), but it's the US's obsession with 'informational reporting' that kills you.

They should say: "I don't know, I'll find out and let you know", but they don't, they just give you wrong information.
Yup, I have noticed this too, even in really good accountants. There's an element of hubris here as well as the need to give a speedy response without spending the time (and cost) to research the right answer. Again, be the back stop, don't take anything for granted. Ultimately the responsibility lies on your shoulders. It isn't easy.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
His accounting/tax preparation fees would be tax deductible
Only in as far as they relate to tax work. Advice and assistance on FBARs is not deductible under US Treasury regulations.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Simonyg is an unknown quantity at this point

This is excellent information and really helpful.

I am in a similar position and in the process of deciding between the same two options. I would love to hear more specifics about your case as I am totally undecided.

If there is any way for you to send me a private message with your email address I would really appreciate the opportunity to ask you some questions.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Scotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Simon, I sent you a PM. Happy to share what learnings I have had. Cheers.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snoozy
I'm a bit late coming into this but have only just discovered this forum. For over thirty years my late wife and I travelled to the USA for the winter on B2 visas blissfully unaware of the IRS. My wife died five years ago and I met a USC early last year and we got married in December 2016. Being retired, we decided on balance that we would prefer to spend most of our time in the warm Florida weather, rather than the UK, and so a GC (change of status) is in progress for me.

My new wife's accountant advised her that she should now file jointly for her 2016 taxes and admitted that he knew very little about alien taxes or foreign asset reporting beyond handing me a FinCEN 114 form to fill out. It was at this point that everything unravelled and I started to discover the horrors of 8938 et alia, which with their Draconian penalties fill someone like me in my late seventies with absolute terror. To make matters worse, I have now also discovered that, in my naivety, I have transgressed the 183 day rule in a couple of recent years.

A couple of online tax accountants have been mentioned on this forum as being good but does anyone know if they can handle problem cases, such as mine is likely to be, or are they only good for straightforward work? Maybe I need a tax lawyer? My income is relatively modest and comes solely from British pensions and investments, nothing from the USA, but I am still within the 8938 threshold. Any advice on which course I should take would be very much appreciated. I just do not know what to do for the best.
You'll probably have to file under the streamlined offshore compliance procedures. All I can say is stay away from Greenback. I've had clients come to me after using Greenback and their tax returns are just plain bad (missing forms, missing income, etc). The preparers who work for Greenback are independent contractors and there seems to be little oversight.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 27th 2017 at 6:53 pm. Reason: Seems like touting
Old Feb 25th 2017, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Snoozy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I had come across that link before, thanks, but I think I fall at the first fence because I am over the 183 days in a single year. On the other two conditions I'm okay.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Another update for anyone interested (or in a similar position). A happy ending.

It took around 6 months but the IRS have now processed my three amended returns filed under the delinquent informational returns procedure without incident - as well as FBAR's. They even sent me refunds for the failure to pay penalties that I sent - charging me only interest on the unpaid taxes.

So zero penalties for the missing forms or taxes unpaid.

The streamline procedures would have cost me over a hundred thousand dollars for the absurd 'misc offshore penalty' - with no recourse to any sort of abatement. I was advised to follow this route by my tax attorney (as well some on this board). It is not 'bad' advice, but another route was better in my case.

So, my learnings have been:
- How much I had to drive the process in the end to get the outcome that I wanted
- That there are most certainly shades of grey here
- You can't avoid wading into the details of tax code and IRS procedures to check and double check all the advice you receive.
- Keep poking around - reading the rules of the delinquent informational filing procedures suggests that it's only if you have no unpaid tax, but there is an attached FAQ that says that having unpaid taxes does not preclude following the procedures. Even my tax attorney missed that.
- Be pragmatic about the cost/benefit of the IRS coming after you. You are probably small fry.
- Don't over-google things. There are so many horror stories about this stuff which is designed to scare you, and will only keep you up at night. Be rational about the risks.

PM me if anyone needs any more detail.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotsman In Texas
Furthermore, the policy buys and sells units of the fund monthly to cover the premiums and management expenses. This creates a monster of an excess distribution calculation - around 33 pages. The surrender value is quite small - but a pain from a reporting stand point. Fortunately, I can produce this 8621 myself quite easily now.
This is what I was saying in the other thread about ISAs, reporting them on an 8621 using mark to market is really hard as you've just illustrated.

Honestly you deserve a gold medal for being so honest. It took me 2 years to get answers about how to report ISAs out of them and they're still a little vague on it. It's obvious that they're suffering from a staff shortage.

If this thread doesn't get people to close their ISAs or hold it as cash I don't know what will.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
To anyone who's had foreign transactions, even simple ones, and is seeking an accountant: There are accountants who have several stars on reviews, or are recommended by tax lawyers with several stars, who claim to have experience and knowledge regarding taxes on foreign transactions, but actually are surprisingly ignorant, and will give you basically wrong information.
And that includes big companies like PWC, E&Y, KPMG, etc. And don't think just because you've got them doing your return they can find out the information either, their offices don't talk to each other internationally.

Which is why I pointed out the mistake on Mitt Romney's return earlier in the thread.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:03 am
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scotsman In Texas
Another update for anyone interested (or in a similar position). A happy ending.

It took around 6 months but the IRS have now processed my three amended returns filed under the delinquent informational returns procedure without incident - as well as FBAR's. They even sent me refunds for the failure to pay penalties that I sent - charging me only interest on the unpaid taxes.

So zero penalties for the missing forms or taxes unpaid.

The streamline procedures would have cost me over a hundred thousand dollars for the absurd 'misc offshore penalty' - with no recourse to any sort of abatement. I was advised to follow this route by my tax attorney (as well some on this board). It is not 'bad' advice, but another route was better in my case.

So, my learnings have been:
- How much I had to drive the process in the end to get the outcome that I wanted
- That there are most certainly shades of grey here
- You can't avoid wading into the details of tax code and IRS procedures to check and double check all the advice you receive.
- Keep poking around - reading the rules of the delinquent informational filing procedures suggests that it's only if you have no unpaid tax, but there is an attached FAQ that says that having unpaid taxes does not preclude following the procedures. Even my tax attorney missed that.
- Be pragmatic about the cost/benefit of the IRS coming after you. You are probably small fry.
- Don't over-google things. There are so many horror stories about this stuff which is designed to scare you, and will only keep you up at night. Be rational about the risks.

PM me if anyone needs any more detail.
If you are able to establish reasonable cause, then the delinquent international filing procedures is a good alternative to SDOP.

I agree on being pragmatic and not over-googling things. People tend to freak themselves out way more than necessary.

Although you and your attorney have made a careful risk analysis, I would caution others that just because a return has been processed and perhaps even a refund issued doesn't mean it's been "accepted as is." I've worked as an auditor at the IRS and all the returns we audited were of course already processed by the service center and refunds were issued. Sometimes a year or even two years later a return would be selected for an audit.

Another mistake is to assume that because the IRS has been lax about certain policies in the past, that it will continue in the future. Every year the IRS prioritizes different compliance issues.

Finally, it's a fallacy to assume that just because someone you know "got away" with something on their tax return that it means you'll be fine if you do the same thing. It's comparable to speeding 100 mph down the highway. Just because you did not get a ticket doesn't mean you should recommend that others do the same.

Each case requires its own risk assessment. If you have reasonable cause then maybe it makes sense to file under the delinquent international information return submission procedures if filing under SDOP would result in a very significant misc offshore penalty for you.

One last note - reasonable cause places the burden of proof on the taxpayer whereas certifying non-willfulness does not. The government will always have the burden of proof to show willfulness. If you are audited, reasonable cause is your burden to prove. Edit: reasonable cause is a very difficult standard to meet (I forgot or didn't know is not reasonable cause).

(My humble opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs. This is not legal advice, yada yada.)

Last edited by TXLonghorn; Mar 4th 2017 at 3:39 am.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
And that includes big companies like PWC, E&Y, KPMG, etc. And don't think just because you've got them doing your return they can find out the information either, their offices don't talk to each other internationally.

Which is why I pointed out the mistake on Mitt Romney's return earlier in the thread.
My particular case was actually quite simple- just a property sale abroad. I contacted a tax lawyer and a CPA firm with 5-star reviews, and they both misinformed me that there would be no tax, but I read on BE that there is tax. (One of them later apologized and said she'd got it mixed up with foreign gifts. They'd taken a retainer fee from me but I got them to refund it). I found another CPA and filed and paid my taxes, and I saw from the return that actually filing a return with a sale of foreign property is not very involved and doesn't require a specialist CPA, just one who knows about it, (it's like sale of US property, just have to convert everything to dollars), and one may even be able to file it oneself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.