Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Favourite American Foods

Favourite American Foods

Old May 3rd 2004, 4:49 am
Arizona Sun Devil

timshaw2206 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's gotta be Chipotle Burritos for me. Generally most Mexican food in AZ is good, but Chipotle is the best, and very fresh, they make the burritos right in front of you. They're huge though, you def. have to get used to the American sized Burritos, i couldnt eat half when i first moved here just over a year ago, but can now quite easily eat a whole one....
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite American Foods

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
Favourite American foods

OK, We all know how great the stuff is back home that you can't buy here (proper baked beans, ginger wine, vimto, malt vinegar, decent tea bags, battenburg cake etc etc )
But . . . what American foods have you fallen in love with that you can't get back home?

Mine are:

Corn Dogs
Pecan pie
Mr. Gatti's Pizza
Shiner Bock beer
Authentic Mexican fajitas
Brisket
Egg Nog at Christmas
Sweet potato casserole

Have to watch the waistline !!!!
Trace

You really are bored aren't you.
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:04 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Favourite American Foods

Originally posted by Jabba1
You really are bored aren't you.
Hmm... I've never heard of that foodstuff. What is it like?

Old May 3rd 2004, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

well.. there are some things I like.. and many I don't.

Burgers... not had a bad one yet... had too many bad ones in the UK, I love the fact that its ACTUAL beef.. and not reconstituted floor sweepings with some offal to keep the standards people happy (ala UK burgers).

Mexican food - all of it... its soooo much better here, spose being in CA I should expect that tho.

Steak - being able to buy nice steak at an affordable price... gotta love that.

Black Angus - steak again.. but lobster too... what a mixture

those little sausages on a stick with kinda donut stuff on the outside.. can't remember their name... but microwaved I love em.

Pizza - the delivery places provide pizza that doesn't drip out of the box... is actually crispy when you ask for thin.. and tastes like they just cooked it... contrary to my UK experiences. Oh and the supermarkey pizza is good too... thats not normal... but I like it.

Subs - a sandwich in the UK, costs a bomb, has 1/2 slices of meat and a little salad between two small slices of bread and weighs about 5 ounces... a sub here is cheap, has 3lb of meat in it, 3lb of salad and comes in foot long varieties... gotta love supersize

Jerrys Deli - nuff said
Dennys - how cheap yet still nice
Mcdonalds - its like good food over here, you can buy like salad n stuff...
Chinese food - I was told it was bad... someone lied to me.. I love it... plus I can get like one meal and feed myself for 2 days

dislikes -

dominoes pizza... how sweet can they make it... all the others seem fine.. but dominoes must cook in vats of syrup or something.

the way all subs seem to come with pickles... regardless of me stressing that I DON'T WANT PICKLE... subs are good tho..

the fact that its often hard to get a small packet of something.. I love peanuts.. but I know that if the only size packet I can get is a 3lb bucket... then the next time I eat peanuts.. I'm probably gonna eat until I bust... I try to help myself and get only a handfull.. but I'm weak when it comes to moreish snacks. I stopped buying them

Curry - I've had takeout and it was bad... very soon I'm gonna be stocking up on the required elements to make my own.. I make a fairly good curry... so I should be able to better the local takeout easily... anyone fancy a curry?

Hersheys - tastes like puke
Fake Cadburys - made by hersheys, see above.
Fake Cadburys cream eggs - nuff said on this one methinks
Bread - for the most part it takes like crap, only a few local stores that bake on site are any good... I bulk buy and freeze it now.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:41 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
What's "pulled pork" - sounds a bit kinky !
Trace
I understand it is a Texas thing. Its a type of smoking where the meat is smoked/cooked for a very long time and when it comes out you just 'pull' the pork apart and put it in a sandwich or with salad. You can do it with chicken too but I prefer the pork.
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:05 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had a curry in TWO YEARS. TWO YEARS. That's 24 months, 104 weeks and a shit load of days.
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by USBound
well.. there are some things I like.. and many I don't.

Burgers... not had a bad one yet... had too many bad ones in the UK, I love the fact that its ACTUAL beef.. and not reconstituted floor sweepings with some offal to keep the standards people happy (ala UK burgers).

Mexican food - all of it... its soooo much better here, spose being in CA I should expect that tho.

Steak - being able to buy nice steak at an affordable price... gotta love that.

Black Angus - steak again.. but lobster too... what a mixture

those little sausages on a stick with kinda donut stuff on the outside.. can't remember their name... but microwaved I love em.

Pizza - the delivery places provide pizza that doesn't drip out of the box... is actually crispy when you ask for thin.. and tastes like they just cooked it... contrary to my UK experiences. Oh and the supermarkey pizza is good too... thats not normal... but I like it.

Subs - a sandwich in the UK, costs a bomb, has 1/2 slices of meat and a little salad between two small slices of bread and weighs about 5 ounces... a sub here is cheap, has 3lb of meat in it, 3lb of salad and comes in foot long varieties... gotta love supersize

Jerrys Deli - nuff said
Dennys - how cheap yet still nice
Mcdonalds - its like good food over here, you can buy like salad n stuff...
Chinese food - I was told it was bad... someone lied to me.. I love it... plus I can get like one meal and feed myself for 2 days

dislikes -

dominoes pizza... how sweet can they make it... all the others seem fine.. but dominoes must cook in vats of syrup or something.

the way all subs seem to come with pickles... regardless of me stressing that I DON'T WANT PICKLE... subs are good tho..

the fact that its often hard to get a small packet of something.. I love peanuts.. but I know that if the only size packet I can get is a 3lb bucket... then the next time I eat peanuts.. I'm probably gonna eat until I bust... I try to help myself and get only a handfull.. but I'm weak when it comes to moreish snacks. I stopped buying them

Curry - I've had takeout and it was bad... very soon I'm gonna be stocking up on the required elements to make my own.. I make a fairly good curry... so I should be able to better the local takeout easily... anyone fancy a curry?

Hersheys - tastes like puke
Fake Cadburys - made by hersheys, see above.
Fake Cadburys cream eggs - nuff said on this one methinks
Bread - for the most part it takes like crap, only a few local stores that bake on site are any good... I bulk buy and freeze it now.

Curry....

Best restaurant is Anabargh on Ventura Blvd.
If you want to cook a curry then go to the Indian sweets and spices store on Sherman Way, I think the cross street is Owensmouth if not its only a couple of blocks from there you can't miss it, Looks a bit grotty but really has some good stuff.. Nb.. Don't eat the ready cooked food though.... Not good....
Bread.... I buy the French loaves from Albertsons... baked on site and a little crustier than others. I even managed to get some crusty rolls there a few weeks ago.... Sheperder bread is good too.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:05 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ben
I understand it is a Texas thing. Its a type of smoking where the meat is smoked/cooked for a very long time and when it comes out you just 'pull' the pork apart and put it in a sandwich or with salad. You can do it with chicken too but I prefer the pork.
I think it's pretty much a "southern" thing in general, not just Texas. Here in AL/GA thats the predominant BBQ- pulled pork with mustard based BBQ sauces.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:12 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll second (or third) Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce
Bratwurst
Yeungling Beer (sadly can't get it here in Denver)
Key Lime Pie
16oz Filet Mignon
Bagels
Po Boys
Mountain Dew (I know it is in the UK now, but wasn't when I left)
Prime Rib (Did we have that in the UK and I just missed it?)
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:15 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
I haven't had a curry in TWO YEARS. TWO YEARS. That's 24 months, 104 weeks and a shit load of days.
Where are you, Sibsie? Surely there has to be something close by? I just found an Indian that does a pukka Chicken Tikka Masala. The nam bread is outstanding, and it is right around the corner from my house
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:53 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I'm not sure if my favourites are truly American or not, seems that most American foods originate somewhere else and get watered down or commercialized for the average American palette....

right now we have a fondness for all things parmigiana!
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:56 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
I think it's pretty much a "southern" thing in general, not just Texas. Here in AL/GA thats the predominant BBQ- pulled pork with mustard based BBQ sauces.
I wasn't 100% sure on where it comes from. I have only ever had it made by someone from Texas here on LI Sure is good.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy
Curry....

Best restaurant is Anabargh on Ventura Blvd.
If you want to cook a curry then go to the Indian sweets and spices store on Sherman Way, I think the cross street is Owensmouth if not its only a couple of blocks from there you can't miss it, Looks a bit grotty but really has some good stuff.. Nb.. Don't eat the ready cooked food though.... Not good....
Bread.... I buy the French loaves from Albertsons... baked on site and a little crustier than others. I even managed to get some crusty rolls there a few weeks ago.... Sheperder bread is good too.

Ahh... I have heard this place mentioned a few times.. I'm still setting up the apartment... but as soon as I get sorted out.. I'm going, it is Sherman Way/Owensmouth BTW.

RE: Pulled Pork - so basically its just cooked until it falls apart, well I've not had that here.. but at home we had it all the time, slow cook with a decent amount of crackling and its gorgeous. Same with Chicken, Sans Crackling.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:15 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by sibsie
Sorry to hear about that ... but you can fix it! I got into a rut about this and gave up looking for an Indian restaurant but found one last week care of a friend who treated me to a slap up meal in the best Indian restaurant I've ever eaten in! Oh my it was GOOD!

OK, forgot to mention the name and location of the restaurant (Bombay Club); Dining Guide review:

http://washington.dc.diningguide.net/data/d100277.htm

It is only a few minutes walk from the White House. Once "they" reopen the closed-off section of Pennsylvania Avenue you can eat at the Bombay Club then take a stroll past the front of the White House. OK, might not be your cup of tea, but the White House is very close to the Bombay Club. Imho, the Secret Service are guarding the wrong establishment (but this is just a personal view! *LOL*). Apparently, the Bombay Club has a sister restaurant near by, but it does not serve Indian Food

Last edited by Patent Attorney; May 4th 2004 at 1:49 pm.

Old May 3rd 2004, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We do pulled pork a lot. Always tastes nice with an added can of beer. We just put the pork in a crock pot for about 8 hours.

One of my current favorite foods, is buffalo chicken strips. I've had so much Mexican food since being here, that I am currently fluent in "taco" lol I guess our most used fast food place is Jack in the Box. The 99c tacos are ok. Julio G's is where we go for our Mexican food. And a special mention for Jimmy Dean sausage.

I don't want to talk too much about food this morning though, as I have done nothing but stuff my face in the buffets of Vegas and Laughlin for the last 5 days. Its now time for a diet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.