Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fashion, or lack of it.

Wikiposts

Fashion, or lack of it.

Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fashion, or lack of it.

Some of those are very nice. I'm a fan of the following:

www.anntaylorloft.com
www.anntaylor.com

Though they may have a twinset! Not sure.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Ooh! Stilletos can be found all over the place. Go to these stores, Nordstrom (founded as a shoe store in Seattle), Bakers Shoes (mall shoe store), and http://www.zappos.com. I love all three of them for good looking shoes. Zapppos shipping policy rocks. Free both ways and super quick. They even sell 5" or more.
I haven't ordered from them yet, but Piperlime has cute shoes too.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Twinsets for one. They went out in the 60's overseas, yet everyone here seems to wear them.
I must confess, I have a couple myself. Always thought it was a classic look. Most of mine are similar to this ...
Attached Thumbnails Fashion, or lack of it.-red-sweater.jpg  
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.****.com/UK/

or even

http://eoss.next.co.uk/search?p=Q&ts...xti=0&nxtv=000

Edit: I cannot believe BE has censored the link for f c u k... !!!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:20 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I haven't ordered from them yet, but Piperlime has cute shoes too.
Pepperlime's inventory pales in comparison. Definitely give their site a look. It has a fantastic variety of cheap shoes as well as haute couture.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:00 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! Don't get me started on this topic. I live in Florida, where the snowbirds flock to for six months a year. You should see what is on offer at our local stores. I couldn't even find a decent pair of stilettos up till a couple of years ago......It is either old folks' clothing or teenybopper gear on sale down here. My mother was over a few years ago for 2 months and couldn't believe the selection of clothing on offer. She wouldn't be caught dead in any of it - that and the pathetic selection in linens - from the fifties - they haven't moved on much down here.
While I was back in Europe in October I bought 4 pairs of shoes .. Since I got back a British friend told me about zappos.com.. I haven't tried it yet, when you are used to going to the shops and trying things on it's hard to make yourself buy online or from catalogs.. If the shoes don't fit you/you don't like them you can just return them for free apparently..

Last edited by anabella; Dec 26th 2007 at 6:10 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:09 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
While I was back in Europe in October I bought 4 pairs of shoes .. Since I got back a British friend told me about zappos.com.. I haven't tried it yet, when you are used to going to the shops and trying things on it's hard to make yourself by online or from catalogs.. If the shoes don't fit you/you don't like them for free you can just return them apparently..
Yup! That's how it works. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going out in the next couple of days. However if you are planning ahead for an event or just feel the need for a new pair then it's the way to go.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:11 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Yup! That's how it works. I wouldn't recommend it if you are going out in the next couple of days. However if you are planning ahead for an event or just feel the need for a new pair then it's the way to go.
So you use that site and you recommend it?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:12 pm
Riding on silver wings

So you use that site and you recommend it?
I've used it and will definitely use it again. I really enjoy the search feature. It allows you to search for shoes by heel height and everything. Give it a go and lemme know what you think.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:18 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

While I was back in Europe in October I bought 4 pairs of shoes .. Since I got back a British friend told me about zappos.com.. I haven't tried it yet, when you are used to going to the shops and trying things on it's hard to make yourself buy online or from catalogs.. If the shoes don't fit you/you don't like them you can just return them for free apparently..
I will never buy shoes online. I like to try them on and walk around in them for at least 10 / 15 mins before I'm happy or not.

I'm not taking much clothing overseas in April on vacation - can't wait to hit the stores over there and get myself some decent clothing and shoes.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:20 pm

I will never buy shoes online. I like to try them on and walk around in them for at least 10 / 15 mins before I'm happy or not.
I know what you mean.. I like to wear them straight away if they go with my outfit ..
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:28 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It's strange though - when I look at the UK sites of women's clothing, it looks just like what they are selling here. Almost identical, except it's much more expensive in the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Out of curiosity, can someone post a link to a store, or series of pictures of what you consider to be more fashionable? I'm being entirely serious, I've heard before that the thought is that clothes here are stuck in a time warp - and I'm curious as to what you're used to.

On the flip side - do you find 100% of US clothes to be dated and in poor style, or only a decent proportion? I can definitely find ugly clothes here, but I can also find some I thought were nice too.
A lot of it depends on where you live....there's some great stuff out there, but also some horrid stuff...up in maine, it was more of the horrid stuff
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:23 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
It's strange though - when I look at the UK sites of women's clothing, it looks just like what they are selling here. Almost identical, except it's much more expensive in the UK.
Sure you can get decent clothes in NYC and Chicago. But what about in your average US city mall?

Ann Taylor clothes are nice but rather boring. I only wear them for work.

In the UK, even the smallest cities have a decent high street with shops like Next, Principles, Monsoon, River Island, HM, FC UK etc.

Even M & S sells more stylish clothes than I can find here.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm totally out of the loop then..I just don't understand this "what is in fashion and what isn't" thing. Why wear what everyone else wears just because it is supposed to be fashionable??

Who is going to come up to you and point a finger and say....."ooohhh you are so dated wearing that twinset" etc etc. Does it really matter?

As long as you look smart, clothes fit well and you feel comfortable what else matters?

(panic alert: I sound like my mother)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.