Reload this Page >

Family visiting the US

Family visiting the US

Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:38 am
Just Joined

FL2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Englishmum
MH

Actually here is the latest info for British passport holders who want to visit the US, especially from 26 October:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...G_usawaiver_en

I also noticed on the website that they also sell BA gift vouchers in 50 pound denominations and send them in a gift-wrapped envelope by FedEx. Maybe if you buy one or two of them and send to your parents it might entice them over!

(When my daughter was small I often used to take her to the One O'Clock Clubs at the park in Alexandra Palace, just near Muswell Hill. We lived in Upper Clapton, near Stamford Hill. I loved the large family houses in Muswell Hill but could never have afforded to buy one! Happy Days.....)

Thank you so much for all that great info, especially the senior fares! I shall investigate further. The houses are beautiful in Muswell Hill, i used to live above a patisserie along the broadway in one of those huge houses turned into flats, with a view over ally pally....oh, i miss London!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FL2003
Thank you so much for all that great info, especially the senior fares! I shall investigate further. The houses are beautiful in Muswell Hill, i used to live above a patisserie along the broadway in one of those huge houses turned into flats, with a view over ally pally....oh, i miss London!
Thank you English Mum, I too think the senior fare info is fantastic....how did you find out about it?
I was born in Muswell Hill but we moved when i was little. It is always a special place to me, I remember going to nursery school there as a tot!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Thank you English Mum, I too think the senior fare info is fantastic....how did you find out about it?

As I mentioned in the previous post, my next door neighbours fly a lot with Continental (which I don't like but it is the main airline at Newark so I do fly with them domestically) and they're both retired. They told me that they get Senior discounts because Contintental gives them for passengers aged 62 and above.

Virgin Atlantic offers discounts too, so does Air India - which is currently offering Senior discounts of 25% - on fares which are usually much cheaper than most other airlines flying out of the UK, but they don't go to many US destinations.

From what I can tell, you should always look online for the cheapest available fare, then *phone the airline* for the Senior Fare; sometimes they're not always cheaper, sometimes they are, but apparently most airlines don't post the senior fares on their websites:

http://www.smarterliving.com/senior/deal.php?id=2995

http://www.airindia.com/artcile/asp?articleid=218

(I've lost the link for Continental; just go to yahoo or google and type in 'Continental Airlines + Senior Fares'

(It's difficult to tell whether or not Virgin and British Midland only offer the discounts to residents in the US as I got the info from US-based websites which would only look at senior discounts from an American angle. I would raise a stink with the airlines Customer Services if passengers residing in the UK are excluded from the discounts as it is discriminatory - and I would contact the British newspapers about it!

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Englishmum
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Muswell Hill

o
[
http://www.airindia.com/artcile/asp?articleid=218

Oh, dear, I've made a typo! The correct link for the 25% discount on Air India is:

http://www.airindia.com/article.asp?articleid=218

(My sister flew out to JFK with Air India, it wasn't luxurious but she said the curry was good and she got an amazingly cheap fare.... this was last year but it was 97 pounds + taxes.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be too glum that your relatives do not want to come visit...We have found that ours expect a holiday at our expense, whereas when we go 'home' we just have to 'muck in'.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Our problem is my husbands brother and family. They would like to come over to visit, but we don't want them to. There is no public transport where we live and brother-in-law is to cheap to hire a car. We need ours for getting to work and school. They would be with us for 3 meals a day for about 2 weeks. Two parents one teenager and two smaller kids, it is just to much financially and on the nerves. We did suggest to them that with 3 kids, Disney might be a better option, but of course B-I-L is to much of a cheapskate to even think about paying for a proper holiday. There is just nothing much to do out in this part of MA without having to travel, so they would be bored stiff and whiney. Don't mind having other family members over though. Father-in-law is coming over in the summer for 2 weeks for sons graduation from high school.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:52 am
Franklin

Originally posted by joto
Our problem is my husbands brother and family. They would like to come over to visit, but we don't want them to. There is no public transport where we live and brother-in-law is to cheap to hire a car. We need ours for getting to work and school. They would be with us for 3 meals a day for about 2 weeks. Two parents one teenager and two smaller kids, it is just to much financially and on the nerves. We did suggest to them that with 3 kids, Disney might be a better option, but of course B-I-L is to much of a cheapskate to even think about paying for a proper holiday. There is just nothing much to do out in this part of MA without having to travel, so they would be bored stiff and whiney. Don't mind having other family members over though. Father-in-law is coming over in the summer for 2 weeks for sons graduation from high school.

Only my opinion, but why not nag hubby to tell them in plan language (repeated until they get it) that they can only come if they hire a car - tell them they will have to do that or pay for a cab from the airport because you don’t pick up jerks who “don’t get it�.

Since they are family I guess it is fair that you don't charge them for meals, but they should buy you a nice present or take you guys out for a nice meal. They probably won't do this and this will probably cause you some stress. But at least they will have a car to go out and see things – and maybe they will buy some tucker. Hell, don’t have anything that helps them to make sandwiches! Arrange for your fridge to go AWOL. Hell, have a “disaster� that stops you using the kitchen.

Disclaimer: Just wacky ideas. Don't take my suggestions seriously. If everything goes belly up and hubby wants to divorce you, well sorry!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 25th 2004 at 12:57 am.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joto
Can your home even accommodate that many people comfortably?

Since it's clear that you'll need the car just to get to work and for school, your bro-in-law will simply have to shell out for a rental car. That or he'll have to use taxis that will undoubtedly cost more than a rental car.

If the bro-in-law is staying with you, you should certainly ask him and his family to fill up their luggage with (food) items you miss. This could be one way they "pay" for their stay with you.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Durhams is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we have been here since last July and have had 12 weeks worth of visitors already And they are all planning their summer holidays over here!!!

Got a sign the other day from a gift shop which reads "Friends Welcome, Family by Appointment" I'm going to hang it up on my door next time they come

I do like having lots of people over, but as you all say it ends up costing us a fortune. I thought that the cold winter may put them off, But no, they still came
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I have the opposite problem.

My bloody mother is convinced that I should take every single waking moment planning trips back to England, and should never have a day off work unless it is to go back to England.

I keep trying to explain,
"But mum, I have the Grand Canyon / Alaska / Carribean on my doorstep, why on earth do you think I should go back to Manchester?"

I mean, would you take your wife and kids on holiday to Manchester? it's a one way ticket to the looney bin for even thinking about it.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:47 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum

(When my daughter was small I often used to take her to the One O'Clock Clubs at the park in Alexandra Palace, just near Muswell Hill. We lived in Upper Clapton, near Stamford Hill. I loved the large family houses in Muswell Hill but could never have afforded to buy one! Happy Days.....)
I used to live in Upper Clapton too, right near Stamford Hill! Whereabouts were you? I was in Springfield right down on the River Lea. The park there was so beautiful and I took lovely long walks with my dog along the canal path right up to Walthamstow.

My house that I am about to sell is near New Southgate and I drive through Muswell Hill often. I love it and I shall miss North London very much.

I don't think I will get my parents to visit...it would be too much for them and my Dad hates flying. He has high blood pressure and I hate to think what would happen if he got too stressed during take-off. My sister wants to come but just started a new job. I really hope people come visit because I will really enjoy showing them around.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family visiting the US

We had so many visitors in our first few years here, that cost me a bloody fortune ..I put up a web site with all the various charges.. it slowed the numbers a bit, but it seems it was appreciated an nobody even questions it now!! I think they were a bit embarrassed to offer money in the beginning...now its no problem...OK softy me ..I give my mum a 5% discount...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Certain members of the family are more keen to visit than others. Certain members have the nerve to be visiting florida in May, but can't find the time to visit us! It's all the more a slap in the face when you realise it's my MIL and FIL, plus SIL and her husband and son, all coming over for a family holiday, which doesn't include us. Apparently, another member of the group they are traveling with, is keen to play golf over here. Obviously that has to be taken into account and fitted into the schedule, and takes precedence over 1 sodding day of their holiday to visit their son and grandchildren. Angry?? You bet I am!! But, it's what we've come to expect from my husbands family over the years. They had a family "do" in Manchester while we were there over Xmas,... but didn't invite us.
If they do turn up in May it will probably be torture, but the strained relationship will continue for a while longer. If they don't visit, then that's it.... the final straw!!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:12 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rockgurl
I used to live in Upper Clapton too, right near Stamford Hill! Whereabouts were you? I was in Springfield right down on the River Lea. The park there was so beautiful and I took lovely long walks with my dog along the canal path right up to Walthamstow.

Small world isn't it? We were just across the road from the Springfield Park - in one of those 1930s 'Mansion' blocks of flats; Hadley Court in Cazenove Road - Stoke Newington station was at the bottom of the road but we usually used Clapton station which was a little closer - and probably safer. I think we were the only Gentiles there, everyone else seemed to be the ultra-Orthodox Hassidic Jews, apart from one liberal Jewish lady called Yetta who was always inviting me round for tea and cakes. Yetta liked me to go to the newsagents on a Saturday - one of the few shops open - to buy her "The Sun" so she could do the bingo! She didn't want the neighbours to know that she had been 'buying' anything on a Saturday! It was interesting that there were lots of synagogues in the immediate vicinity, but our street also had the 'Muslim Womens Centre' as well.

I too loved Springfield Park, but I felt sad for my little daughter. She tried so hard to make friends with the Hassidic children - offering to share her snacks - but their mothers would just snatch their children away... we weren't part of 'the club'. I would have loved to have stayed there, but reading the local newspaper about the state of the schools in Hackney - in GLC days - incited us to move to the Epping Forest area, where we still have a house. Of course the best schools there were the Jewish ones but I doubt that our daughter would have been admitted.

Sorry - I was totally off topic there!

I think many of us Brits are in for an invasion of friends and relatives this Summer; with the pound being so strong and the US$ being so weak all the newspapers in England are encouraging their readers to take holidays in the States this year!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
I have the opposite problem.

My bloody mother is convinced that I should take every single waking moment planning trips back to England, and should never have a day off work unless it is to go back to England.

I keep trying to explain,
"But mum, I have the Grand Canyon / Alaska / Carribean on my doorstep, why on earth do you think I should go back to Manchester?"

I mean, would you take your wife and kids on holiday to Manchester? it's a one way ticket to the looney bin for even thinking about it.

Alaska!!!! That's a helluva thing to have sitting on your doorstep, manc!!! (I know, I've been). Besides, wouldn't that make it virtually impossible to get to your car? Another thing, I hear there are pirates in the Carribean, might want to stay away from there......Aye matie!!!!

As for the Grand Canyon, that's only good for yodleing.