Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Family visit from UK - etiqutte

Family visit from UK - etiqutte

Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:47 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family visit from UK - etiqutte

Originally Posted by rushman
That was very nice, considerate and thoughtful. Did you cut and paste that from someones website?
Shut it.

I'm in my philosophical mode.... don't question me.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:47 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Martha Stewarts
Minus the jail sentence!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:49 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Taking them out to eat every night is completely unrealistic for any budget. Dinner and movies out should be (maybe) a one time thing and they should definitely pay for their part. Renting movies, cooking at home, and doing fun (cheap or free) activities during the day goes above and beyond the call of duty. The first and last days of their visit will probably be spent resting so you'll probably only have to plan a few outings. You'll be fine.
Thank you Auntie Leslie
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Shut it.

I'm in my philosophical mode.... don't question me.
Phew!! Normal service resumed. Was beginning to worry dear.

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Minus the jail sentence!
Hello my little house of tagged, insider trading, bounce back, TV show hosts.
WTF?

Thank you Auntie Leslie
You're welcome, young Rush.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:52 am
WTF?

Phew!! Normal service resumed. Was beginning to worry dear.
Piss off!

<just for old times sake, love>
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:54 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Hello my little house of tagged, insider trading, bounce back, TV show hosts.
Hello my little Oprah loving glassy eyed sot.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Piss off!

<just for old times sake, love>
You have absolutely no idea how totally arousing you are when you get mad at me. If only we could somehow get the the next stage and have mad angry sex.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Having been here for just a few months I am still finding my feet, still living on savings and getting lost all the time. A family member wants to visit and I always think if someone comes you give them total hospitality take them for meals etc but I am not in a financial postition to do this. what have other people done how has it worked and what if i get a job? really would appreciate any advice .
How long is/are the relies thinking of visiting? If it's more than a week, they should be asked to chip in for food (for breakfast, drinks, snacks), especially if you're cooking at home.

As for times when you eat out, how about going Dutch?

Surely the relative knows you haven't been in the States long and haven't started working. I'd consider it really cheeky if they expected you to pick up the tab when you went out (meals, etc.).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:57 am
WTF?

You have absolutely no idea how totally arousing you are when you get mad at me. If only we could somehow get the the next stage and have mad angry sex.
Please check back with me in one weeks time. By then I shall surely have moved past the "philosophical" phase and will be in the "vicious hormone induced rage" phase.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:00 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
How long is/are the relies thinking of visiting? If it's more than a week, they should be asked to chip in for food (for breakfast, drinks, snacks), especially if you're cooking at home.

As for times when you eat out, how about going Dutch?

Surely the relative knows you haven't been in the States long and haven't started working. I'd consider it really cheeky if they expected you to pick up the tab when you went out (meals, etc.).

NC Penguin
Probably a couple of weeks I just feel really strange about asking for food money never having needed to before but I think I will have to bite the bullet otherwise my budget will be screwed.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:03 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Probably a couple of weeks I just feel really strange about asking for food money never having needed to before but I think I will have to bite the bullet otherwise my budget will be screwed.
There is no shame in honesty.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:18 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodsey
when people come to visit they pay for whatever they want to have, if they want to eat out, they pay for themselves, to be honest, they should actually take you out for a meal as a way of saying thanks for putting them up..
but seriously you shouldn't have any problems, we never really have..Our first visitors came when we'd only been here for 7 weeks, it was a really nice reminder of home once the initial excitement of being here had worn off, however I did want them to leave after maybe..2 hours..

I'd take them out and play host, but if they have decent manners they will return the favour. Let them know in a subtle way that you dont have a bunch of cash right now, and find some cool stuff to do thats free or cheap. Cook some local dishes?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:20 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Let them know in a subtle way that you dont have a bunch of cash right now
take them to eat at white castle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.