Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Wikiposts

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Originally Posted by B1zjet
Yes thanks - funny guy -
I was thinking the same as I tried to keep my eyes following the story.

However it was a lovely and amusing story when I was unable to uncross my eyes.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:19 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1zjet
Yes thanks - funny guy -
Originally Posted by Michael
I was thinking the same as I tried to keep my eyes following the story.

However it was a lovely and amusing story when I was unable to uncross my eyes.
I honestly couldn't read it. B1zjet can you edit it and hit the enter key a few times?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:32 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I honestly couldn't read it. B1zjet can you edit it and hit the enter key a few times?
I never bother trying to read it when posters can't make it legible.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
It is sort of like watching closed captioned on tv where the stenographer gets behind and you don't see anything on the screen for about 2 minutes and then it finally appears and scrolls of the screen in a nanosecond.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:47 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I never bother trying to read it when posters can't make it legible.
I suppose sentence construction is overrated.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My husband also failed his test the first time. His test was all on the road, not in any parking lots because we were in a very small town that didn't have a dedicated testing area (the examiner only came to our county once a month). He was on the road, and ahead of him, in his lane, was the postman putting mail in people's boxes. When we went around the postman, the examiner said he didn't go far enough over into the other lane for his comfort and failed him. OH said the examiner even appeared to brace himself on the door thinking they were going to hit the postman. So make sure you give those postal trucks a wide berth. It was pretty ridiculous to say the least.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:23 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I read it all. Was just glad the story had a happy ending. No need to comment on the formatting.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard conflicting opinions on this one: stop lines where you can't see the traffic. So you come up to a stop line and sign and come to a dead halt as close to the line as you can. But you can't see the road either side of you - do you then pull forward until you *can* see the road and *stop again* regardless of whether you need to, or do you just go for it, having done the mandatory stop?

Paragraphs are easy on the eye:
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

They are all just jobsworths stringing out their employment, your fail is another days work for them. I waited nine and a half months for my replacement license, three paper temporaries. Finally got someone that was shocked that I'd come in for my fourth temporary and made some calls. I was told I'd have my new license in around two weeks, but was not given another temp. I drove very carefully for two and a half weeks over Xmas and New Year I tell you.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:44 am
Just Joined

karenmillvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I know this advice sounds odd, but trust me. DMV have no clue what they are doing. It is hit and miss as to whether you pass regardless of your skill. After fighting the DMV system for my daughter, I did speak to several district managers and the finally the head of CA DMV...result..take your test in the NOVATO DMV if you fail again!..Really...we live in Mill Valley, Marin, and we took tests in Greenbrae, and San Mateo (San Mateo my daughter had exacty the same experience as you!). Finally we booked a test in Novato and low and behold, they were professional, pleasant and asked why on earth she had not passed before and asked who our testers were...when my daughter told her she said 'no wonder', gave us a complaints card and told us to send it in! We did and one tester was fired as a result from Greenbrae. Crazy country, crazy system...good luck!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I was told I was a very good driver. Then I was told I had passed with a score of 80 - the minimum passing score! It was all on local roads except for one oddly placed stop sign in the parking lot, which I'm sure was only there for the test. Very glad I passed first time since I had to drive across five states the week after.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
It was all on local roads except for one oddly placed stop sign in the parking lot, which I'm sure was only there for the test.
Remembering way back when I took the test, there was a stop sign hidden behind an overgrown tree on the exit to the DMV parking lot. I stopped for it, and the examiner asked why I had stopped, so I pointed to the sign.

"Oh, we don't worry about that one. Keep going!" she smiled.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have to take a driving test at all when I came here. I was told that my Norwegian license was valid, given a manual and told to come back in two weeks for a written test.

I did, passed the test and then handed over my norwegian license, and an official translation of it from the consulate in New York. The girl behind the counter took the translation, disappeared in the back for a few minutes, then handed me back my norwegian license and a brand new New York State drivers license. That was back in 1984. Things were simpler back then.......
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

My wife failed her test the first time for a 'critical error' she had been driving for 15yrs too

She changed DMV location and retook the test and passed with 1 minor fault ....

Rebook it , maybe look to go somewhere else, Los Gatos is brilliant and seem to live in the real world

Read over the DMV site as to what you need to do re being accompanied, dont always believe what you are told over the counter as in my experience that has been wrong before too ! just love the DMV !!! immigration was easier
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You failed the California driving test?!!! And you posted here...???

Originally Posted by GraemeCA
Hi.

First off, please no sarcastic replies to this, along the lines of how could I possibly have failed something so simple (yes, I've read similar threads elsewhere).

Oh bollocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.