Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Extending 6 months Visa activation

Extending 6 months Visa activation

Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending 6 months Visa activation

Quick recap - I am UKC with USC wife. Both living in UK, pending move to California.

I'm now halfway through my '6 months' from Visa being approved and have yet to sell our house (which is the only thing stopping us from moving).

Does anyone have experience of extending the 6 months (we would hopefully only need a short extension of, say, another 3 months?)

Is it straightforward?
What's needed?
Are there any implications? to consider

The alternative to extending the period (even if this is allowed) is to go over to US briefly to activate the Visa and then return to UK to sell house...or to sell it from California. My concerns with this are the potential US tax liability of selling of UK house (having already become US Permanent Resident).

The advice on this seems varied. Apart from hiring an expensive attorney, how to do I find out my best course of action re Visa/house etc? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Anthony
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending 6 months Visa activation

You'll get many votes for "sell it from California"
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You'll get many votes for "sell it from California"
Or, at least, come to the US to get your permanent resident status and, if necessary, return to the UK to sell the house.

You will have to report any gain on the sale of the house on your US tax return (and, in fact, if your wife is a joint owner, she, as a US citizen, would have to report her share of it even if you both stayed in the UK forever) but you will quite possibly not end up owing any tax on the transaction unless you have a very large gain.

Take a look at this IRS web page and IRS Publication 523 for details.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AntMcG
The advice on this seems varied. Apart from hiring an expensive attorney, how to do I find out my best course of action re Visa/house etc? Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Hire an expensive CPA or Chartered Accountant.

Consultation is in order - and they are not all that expensive considering the money that might be involved. YMMV.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, it is not possible to extend the validity of the visa - it's use it or lose it and if you don't use it you have to start the whole process again from the start.

We sold our house from the US. We gave our solicitor power of attorney to sign documents on our behalf, and he also got us to leave a pre-signed deed of transfer. We gave him copies of all our house documents (guarantees etc) before we left and handled all the other paperwork like buyer's questionaire by email and Skype. It all went fine. If you're anywhere near Gillingham, Kent I'd heartily recommend the solicitor we used.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, you cannot extend the validity of the visa. You must enter the USA before the date the visa expires...house sold or not.

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, all. Not having an option actually makes it easier!

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year.
Odd

I can see lots of options
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I can see lots of options
I think he means that not having the option to extend the visa gives him a clearer course of action.

Ian
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

He does!!!
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year.
Watch out for your US CGT liability.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Watch out for your US CGT liability.
Or loss.