Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

expired CA drivers license - reactivating?

expired CA drivers license - reactivating?

Old Sep 11th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

siliconpete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default expired CA drivers license - reactivating?

I lived in the US for two years 2013 to 2015 and returned to London and am now considering moving back to CA. I got a drivers license while I was there but that has expired in October 2016, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Will I need to do a full driving test again or just written and eye test? From what I remember it won't be possible to buy a car until you have a valid US license so guess I'll need to rent for a little while until I get that sorted.

Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: expired CA drivers license - reactivating?

It was a long time ago (1990) but when I returned to CA, I went to the DMV and was surprised to hear 'oh, you're already in our system'. New DL issued, no tests, no problems.

Of course a lot has changed since 1990!
Old Sep 11th 2018, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

That would be amazing - how much time was there between your license expiring and renewing it? Fingers crossed that process is still the case.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have US citizenship? (If not and you haven't lived there in 2 years, you may have de-facto abandoned your greencard status) I ask because CA ties your DL expiry to your i94 date if you aren't a US citizen or permanent resident. Therefore if you were there as a visitor, it'd only be valid 90 days at most, unless you possess a visa with a longer date.

All that being said; assuming you have legal right to be there, they should renew it for the maximum term (5 years USC & permanent resident) or i94 date.

Edit: I actually seem to recall reading somewhere that CA is one of the few states that will issue a DL to someone who is undocumented assuming they sign an affidavit. Slightly off topic but still relevant.

Last edited by TheKingOfHearts; Sep 11th 2018 at 5:56 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

I was on an L1 visa and haven't lived there since 2015 - good information, guess I'll have to reach out to the DMV
Old Sep 11th 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siliconpete
I was on an L1 visa and haven't lived there since 2015 - good information, guess I'll have to reach out to the DMV
In which case if you return on another visa; they should renew it no problem to your latest i94 date (which keep in mind may not actually be your visa expiry date)
Old Sep 12th 2018, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siliconpete
That would be amazing - how much time was there between your license expiring and renewing it? Fingers crossed that process is still the case.
About 4 years, 1986-1990. I said it was a long time ago! I was a US resident the whole time, on a green card. Moved to Pennsylvania for work, then moved back.