Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experiencing culture shock

Experiencing culture shock

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:16 pm
Displaced Canadian

Amywen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiencing culture shock

Hello all, as you can see I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking here for some time now and decided to finally start posting.

I am from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, and I am now residing in Ohio. I think Newfoundland is far more in-tune with the UK than the rest of Canada so I guess that's why I feel at home here.

I've been here since June and I must say the homesickness is really beginning to sink in. While I do like it here, the land is just so flat and boring and everything just seems so 'new' and lacking a sense of history. Then there are the cultural differences! I can't go for a walk without getting strange looks from the locals; I'm often mistaken as Irish (I guess Americans aren't used to Newfoundlanders!); gravy without gravy browning scares me; and I long for a real beer ; and it is hard to find a decent meal that isn't both high fat and high carb! To top it off I'm so incredibly frustrated in my dealings with USCIS! Aughhh.

Guess I needed to vent a bit there
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Experiencing culture shock

Originally Posted by Amywen
Hello all, as you can see I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking here for some time now and decided to finally start posting.

I am from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, and I am now residing in Ohio. I think Newfoundland is far more in-tune with the UK than the rest of Canada so I guess that's why I feel at home here.

I've been here since June and I must say the homesickness is really beginning to sink in. While I do like it here, the land is just so flat and boring and everything just seems so 'new' and lacking a sense of history. Then there are the cultural differences! I can't go for a walk without getting strange looks from the locals; I'm often mistaken as Irish (I guess Americans aren't used to Newfoundlanders!); gravy without gravy browning scares me; and I long for a real beer ; and it is hard to find a decent meal that isn't both high fat and high carb! To top it off I'm so incredibly frustrated in my dealings with USCIS! Aughhh.

Well Ohio is probably a bit more comfortable than the Alberta oilfields, so I'd say you're better off than the average Newfie.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Join the club. It doesn't bother me that you're not British.

Never been to Columbus but as you'll read, my in-laws live in Cleveland, "the mistake on the lake". I don't like it that cold but I more often than not end up in Cleveland for Christmas, and I will be there this Christmas.

Feel free to vent. It's probably more healthy than taking it out on an American!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:32 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings! Always good to see someone from Canadania!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:35 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Stop messing with petri dishes then
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

I know what you mean, I livd in C'bus OH for nearly 2 years when I first got here. Apart from OSU football the town is shit. I got a great job in Chicago and moved here. Much better place to live. Get out while you can!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Welcome! It's probably more healthy than taking it out on an American!
Isn't that the truth.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:43 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
Apart from OSU football the town is shit.
Beg to differ. There are a lot of worse places and I've lived in most of 'em.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by adeshell
Beg to differ. There are a lot of worse places and I've lived in most of 'em.

What is there to do there apart from going to the countless, charecterless malls?

I did have a decent pint of Tetley's once in a bar in Reynoldsberg and they sell decent Guiness in Fado at Easton. Drink and shoppin' that' all there is to do. I personally only enjoy one of those pastimes and can do that anywhere.

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:45 pm
Franklin

Once you are used to drinking urine quality beer you know you are over culture shock. Just swallow it and think of England!

Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Clueless Yank is on a distinguished road

I've moved from Seattle to Kentucky (near Ohio), and I think I have worse culture shock than you do. This bible-belt, support your troups, join the Rotary, Soccer Dad stuff has me about over the edge.

Just remember that if you decide to stay in the US (which I haven't), the coasts (either one) are the places to be. Some excellent micro-breweries in Seattle (or anywhere in California), but the alcohol content in beer is pretty harshly regulated anywhere in the US. Some excellent cuisine of all types in the West also.

I find in the midwest, unless you go to the white tablecloth establishments, the food is uniformly bland and nasty. If I have one more cardboard doughed pizza with out of the can tomato sauce and faux mozerella cheese...
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Rosebud1 is on a distinguished road

Hi. I've just joined the forum today and wanted to post a new thread, but cant figure out how to create my own - which is why I am am replying to you! Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:25 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
............... Just swallow it and think of England!

as the Actress said to the Bishop
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:54 am
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

I'm with you on the beer thing..... Though there are quite a few good micro breweries here.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 2:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's mother was from St. John's Newfoundland. Yes, Jim is Canadian. His mom was Irish and his dad a Brit. He, too, found it difficult to adjust to the States and that from a man that spent much of his adult life outside of Canada in the service of the RCAF. Rest assured that not all of the US think white gravy is the norm. I've never had white gravy in my life and agree that it doesn't look appetizing but then since I've never had it, suppose I'm passing judgment without actual knowledge.

I'm curious though. Why do you get strange looks when you walk down the street. Is there is a physical attribute that you possess that makes others look at you strangely? ;-)

How did you happen to migrate to Ohio? Did you marry a Yank? Why are you frustrated with the CIS? Anything we can help you with?