Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experiences w/US Customs and bringing pets

Experiences w/US Customs and bringing pets

Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Default Experiences w/US Customs and bringing pets

I'm curious as to people's experience in going through customs with a pet. How difficult/easy was it?

From what i can tell after immigration you pick up your animal in the baggage claim then go through customs.

Do you need to fill in any special paperwork for cats/dogs or do they just look over your paperwork about vaccinations from your vet?

Do you have to wait for anyone special to check the animal or can all officers check the animal.

How long dow the whole process usually take before we can take our doggie out to do his business and give him some lovins
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences w/US Customs and bringing pets

Originally Posted by IanandHolly
I'm curious as to people's experience in going through customs with a pet. How difficult/easy was it?

From what i can tell after immigration you pick up your animal in the baggage claim then go through customs.

Do you need to fill in any special paperwork for cats/dogs or do they just look over your paperwork about vaccinations from your vet?

Do you have to wait for anyone special to check the animal or can all officers check the animal.

How long dow the whole process usually take before we can take our doggie out to do his business and give him some lovins
I really think it depends on where you are flying into. I filled in a ton pf paperwork when I brought my pooch here, but when I went through customs, they just told me to go get my dog and that was it (no paperwork, nothing).

In Charlotte they brought my dog out into the regular baggage claim area, so I picked her up AFTER I had been through customs and immigration. Couldn't have been easier.

You have, presumably, got the appropriate health checks and paperwork done, and have a crate that meets specifications? Just asking.

Might also want to be careful about any food you might have in or outside the crate (make sure it doesn't go against US customs regs re: food).

Biggest problem I had was in the UK when they took dog out and emptied the crate to make sure I didn't have any contraband or explosives hidden in her crate. No big deal, really.

The experience was a lot less worse in reality than I had built it up to be in my mind.

Of course, every airport is different...
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Easy peasy, I would suggest you contact DEFRA in the UK, they can advise you on what local laws there might be, but as a rule, the lower 48 states do not need a rabies shot prior to arrival.

Fly with BA if you can, they are cheap & provide a great service, your pooch will be waiting when you arrive stateside. And if you can get a yappy mutt, then you will be rushed through immigration in record time, as they get fed up with the barking !

Good Luck
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
I really think it depends on where you are flying into. I filled in a ton pf paperwork when I brought my pooch here, but when I went through customs, they just told me to go get my dog and that was it (no paperwork, nothing).

In Charlotte they brought my dog out into the regular baggage claim area, so I picked her up AFTER I had been through customs and immigration. Couldn't have been easier.

You have, presumably, got the appropriate health checks and paperwork done, and have a crate that meets specifications? Just asking.

Might also want to be careful about any food you might have in or outside the crate (make sure it doesn't go against US customs regs re: food).

Biggest problem I had was in the UK when they took dog out and emptied the crate to make sure I didn't have any contraband or explosives hidden in her crate. No big deal, really.

The experience was a lot less worse in reality than I had built it up to be in my mind.

Of course, every airport is different...
Hopefully we will be flying from Manchester to JFK. We are still waiting confirmation though we preliminarily booked the flight a month ago they do not tell you if they will accept the pet until 2 weeks before the flight. Aparently this is New BA policy that none of the sales reps knew.

We have had all of his shots (rabies included) and we shall be getting a final confirmation from the vet this coming monday.

As for the crate we had it built by a company that deals specifically with cargo handling of animals. They are who many airlines in manchester subcontract to.

As for food he shall be going w/out any for the duration of the flight. Have a nice light meal pre-flight and then something after he gets off the plane. Mainly because you can't import food to the usa but also to save from him getting stomach problems from nerves. The vet suggested this.

He will definately have tons o water though. We figured we would use those mattress pads for babies beds that absorb baby wee, just in case he can't hold it for the 6+hours.

The cargo company suggested walking the dog into the airline as they have to scan his crate. we are still figuring out how to move him in the create as he alone weighs 66 kilos and the crate is very large as well.

I think we are looking to get some kind of wheel things to put on the bottom that can be removed once we get him to the airline baggage handlers.

We've tried to prepare as well as we can and I guess we'll have to see what happens
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanandHolly

The cargo company suggested walking the dog into the airline as they have to scan his crate. we are still figuring out how to move him in the create as he alone weighs 66 kilos and the crate is very large as well.

I think we are looking to get some kind of wheel things to put on the bottom that can be removed once we get him to the airline baggage handlers.

We've tried to prepare as well as we can and I guess we'll have to see what happens
Yep, I left from Manchester and that's when I learned they don't have any kind of transporter that will fit a dog crate - so it was me, three suitcases, 50lb dog in crate, and no "wheels"! I managed - luckily, it wasn't too far from the door to the counter so I just took everything one by one (dragged the crate - that was a sight!) Think my dog thought I was mad.

I have a sneaking suspicion you CAN buy some kind of light wheel system for this kind of thing, which would be a great help - most wheely systems are too big/heavy and you don't know what to do with it after you're done - can't take it on the plane if it's too big, won't fit in the suitcase (and anyway, would need it after checking bags in)...

Good luck!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yep, I left from Manchester and that's when I learned they don't have any kind of transporter that will fit a dog crate - so it was me, three suitcases, 50lb dog in crate, and no "wheels"! I managed - luckily, it wasn't too far from the door to the counter so I just took everything one by one (dragged the crate - that was a sight!) Think my dog thought I was mad.

Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up about manchesters lack of "wheels" You had a hassle w/a 50lb do in a crate. Imagine a 66kilo/145 pound dog in a crate. Woah baby I think we are gonna have some fun
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:15 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 2 cats through DFW last year without any problems stateside. The hard work was getting all the shots and paperwork in order for them to fly.

We passed through immigration and then went to collect the luggage. Our cats were sitting waiting for us, none too happy at their 14+ hour ordeal. We just loaded the cage onto a trolley and got one of the redjackets to help us wheel it, and the rest of our stuff, through customs and out.

We'd brought a load of their food as hand luggage and the customs staff gave it the once over to make sure that it didn't contain any beef.

Good luck!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:48 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I flew my two cats in from Spain via Paris. The poor buggers had already moved from London to Spain. They were fine on arrival and none the worse for wear after 18 hours crated. The lovely immigration guy even helped me carry them out as I was struggling with their big containers and all my worldly goods. No paperwork, no questions from customs, just straight through.