Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Experiences at the Naturilsation Ceremony - Los Angeles

Experiences at the Naturilsation Ceremony - Los Angeles

Old May 25th 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences at the Naturilsation Ceremony - Los Angeles

Fun at the passport office. Spent 2 hours the night before preparing everything, paperclipped into four neat bundles. First window to check-in, she rifles through the paperwork, takes off the paperclips, pulls bits out here and there and then... "Sir, I really need you to sort these out for me. They're messed up". Well, dear, you just messed them up. She did at least mutter a "sorry". Sit back down, re-organise into four bundles again. Thankfully called to a different window where the lady there was somewhat more efficient.

But I messed up one birth certificate anyway. Turns out I had a very good (but not good enough) photocopy, not an original. Sigh. It took me a moment to believe it was a photocopy. Back next week to pick up mine (expedited) and hand over the missing certificate where they will issue the passport the same day (albeit 3-4 hours later).

Took just under 2 hours.
Old May 25th 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geoff. You know to update your SSN as well? Youll need the certificate. It is not an urgent thing but i understand there can be issues in future if you dont.
Old May 25th 2018, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Hi Geoff. You know to update your SSN as well? Youll need the certificate. It is not an urgent thing but i understand there can be issues in future if you dont.
That's a good point, thanks. They mentioned it during the ceremony: to wait 10 days before going to the SS office with certificate.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:55 pm
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dc koop
This is what gets me cars with bumper stickers saying "I love' Colombia" or "I love Guatamala" These people jump through hoops and fires to get away from the shit heap they were born in and then on getting here at last stick silly messages on their cars.
Most of Southern California is turning back into Mexico. Some areas you think you are there already.
Old May 31st 2018, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GSH
Most of Southern California is turning back into Mexico. Some areas you think you are there already.
Speaking Spanish here is a definite advantage. I don't but I wish I did. Personally I think UK schools should be teaching Spanish and Mandarin, not French and German like most do. Well okay, maybe some French. German has been useless for me.

That was a funny thing about the Oath Ceremony actually. I know the US has no official language, but to have an oath ceremony spoken 50/50 English/Spanish was amusing - ie somebody would say something in English, then another person would step up and repeat it in Spanish.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Speaking Spanish here is a definite advantage. I don't but I wish I did. Personally I think UK schools should be teaching Spanish and Mandarin, not French and German like most do. Well okay, maybe some French. German has been useless for me.

That was a funny thing about the Oath Ceremony actually. I know the US has no official language, but to have an oath ceremony spoken 50/50 English/Spanish was amusing - ie somebody would say something in English, then another person would step up and repeat it in Spanish.
​​​​​​If a non-citizen has been an LPR for 15 or more years and is 50 or more years old, the English language requirement is waived. Same for 10 or more years and age 55 or above.

I think there are a fair number of Latinos in SoCal who meet that standard.

(I purposely say "Latino" and not "Mexican." A large number of Central Americans here. Also, a fair number from South America).
​​​
Old Jun 4th 2018, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This thread reminds me of once reading an autobiography by Richard Safire who had been a speechwriter in the Nixon White House. When his wife was naturalized, the White House was able to arrange a private oath ceremony in the chambers of a local District Court Judge. The Judge spoke of his parents who had immigrated from Italy. Name of the Judge? John Sirica.
William Safire. For a number of years, he was a New York Times Opinion writer.