Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expensive Guitars

Expensive Guitars

Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:55 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expensive Guitars

Anyone shipped guitars and studio equipment back to the UK? would be interested to hear if they arrived safe and sound and did you have any special cases/packing for the?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expensive Guitars

We'll be shipping a few guitars and no idea how to do it, I can only hope they survive
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Anyone shipped guitars and studio equipment back to the UK? would be interested to hear if they arrived safe and sound and did you have any special cases/packing for the?
Thanks in advance.
I have two handmade guitars, one acoustic and one electric. Not mega bucks but about £3k ea. They've survived lots of back and forth moves with the shippers, but both have custom hard cases with neck mouldings (non flight case).

Slacken off strings but don't remove completely. Put in some desicant packs, then pack out the remaining space. If acoustic make sure the neck/headstock join is fully supported from underneath, especially if there is a volute. I've tried lots of stuff for packing, but IMO it's hard to go past socks. They are thin, can be folded or laid sideways (make sure any gap between sides of the guitar and wall edges of the case are filled. Put someting soft and thing between strings and neck. Fill all the gaps but try not to pack it out so there is any undue pressure when the case is closed.

Don't forget to take out any accessories or tools from the case.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

richardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud ofrichardm123 has much to be proud of

I'm interested to hear any experience with this. I have a $20,000 modular synth that I'm going to be shipping back to the UK in 3-4 months when I return, as well as a couple of vintage synths. I'm thinking of bringing the most valuable modules from the modular synth with me in hand luggage.

Out of all of the prep for moving back this makes me the most uncomfortable. I'm also shipping a couple of telescopes and astronomy equipment!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardm123
I'm interested to hear any experience with this. I have a $20,000 modular synth that I'm going to be shipping back to the UK in 3-4 months when I return, as well as a couple of vintage synths. I'm thinking of bringing the most valuable modules from the modular synth with me in hand luggage.

Out of all of the prep for moving back this makes me the most uncomfortable. I'm also shipping a couple of telescopes and astronomy equipment!
Make sure your insurance knows about these particular items and their true value.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Also, in my recent experience, if you plan on carrying an instrument onboard with you, make sure you have a name to drop.

I brought my Gibson Les Paul Standard with me from the UK to Japan. Only worth around 1500gbp on the second hand market, but it means the world to me. I spoke to a guy at the KLM service desk who thought it would be okay. I had to drop his name twice, once at the gate and once at the gate for my connection. After that, there were no problems.

One last thing. It helps to know what type of plane you'll be flying on. My first flight was on a Boeing 737-800. There was a storage bin at the front of the plane with no seats under it. My guitar was stored in there and it was fine. On the second flight, I was on a 747-400. The overhead bins were too small, but a flight attendant found a small locker at the front and it fit like a charm.

In all cases, it's best to be at the gate nice and early so you can have first pick of the storage areas.

Last edited by Craig1987; Mar 5th 2012 at 8:05 am.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:43 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by richardm123

We shipped guitars, amps, piano and a rather large telescope in our container. Everything was fine, one guitar (my sons 'baby' as he calls it - not worth a huge amount money wise but more sentimental value) came with us on the flight and survived also, so no probs. Had to specify particulars on insurance forms. They will all be returning to the UK next month.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Also, in my recent experience, if you plan on carrying an instrument onboard with you, make sure you have a name to drop.

I brought my Gibson Les Paul Standard with me from the UK to Japan. Only worth around 1500gbp on the second hand market, but it means the world to me. I spoke to a guy at the KLM service desk who thought it would be okay. I had to drop his name twice, once at the gate and once at the gate for my connection. After that, there were no problems.

One last thing. It helps to know what type of plane you'll be flying on. My first flight was on a Boeing 737-800. There was a storage bin at the front of the plane with no seats under it. My guitar was stored in there and it was fine. On the second flight, I was on a 747-400. The overhead bins were too small, but a flight attendant found a small locker at the front and it fit like a charm.

In all cases, it's best to be at the gate nice and early so you can have first pick of the storage areas.
BA used to allow you to carry on one instrument up to a normal guitar size along with hand luggage, but when Ds went back after Christmas this time they had changed it, he'd have to check it if it didn't meet hand luggage measurements. So he left his precious Taylor here for me to deal with when we move back. Luckily it's still in the hard case (not a shipping one) that it came with when he bought it years ago.
Thanks for the tips about the socks tr1boy I'll pack it carefully to put in our shipping container.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
BA used to allow you to carry on one instrument up to a normal guitar size along with hand luggage, but when Ds went back after Christmas this time they had changed it, he'd have to check it if it didn't meet hand luggage measurements. So he left his precious Taylor here for me to deal with when we move back. Luckily it's still in the hard case (not a shipping one) that it came with when he bought it years ago.
Thanks for the tips about the socks tr1boy I'll pack it carefully to put in our shipping container.
If it's a Taylor and it's old enough (pre 2002ish) it should have what's known as the 'monkey butt' lining (black fur) and the large latches. They are pretty good cases as is, just need packing out. If it's a bit later it may have the cheaper pink lined SBK sub contracted case, they aren't as good so take extra care with those (I'd put duct tape around the out edges of the case).

Taylor's quality went quite a bit downhill after 2003, when they substituted Gotoh tuners for Ping, and replaced ebony with 'tusq' (read plastic and resin). The cases were an area where they cut corners as well, just as an fyi.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
If it's a Taylor and it's old enough (pre 2002ish) it should have what's known as the 'monkey butt' lining (black fur) and the large latches. They are pretty good cases as is, just need packing out. If it's a bit later it may have the cheaper pink lined SBK sub contracted case, they aren't as good so take extra care with those (I'd put duct tape around the out edges of the case).

Taylor's quality went quite a bit downhill after 2003, when they substituted Gotoh tuners for Ping, and replaced ebony with 'tusq' (read plastic and resin). The cases were an area where they cut corners as well, just as an fyi.
I had no idea, the case is black and has black furry inside, it's Ds's so don't know the age of it at all it was 2002 or so when he got it I think. direct from Taylor. The case is hard and sturdy. I think it should be fine. The other one is an electric, in a soft case. I think Dh will have to do bubble wrap and fashion a thick cardboard case somehow. He took his favorite fender with him as hand luggage in 2010 and another he actually disassembled and put in his suitcase wrapped in socks and teeshirts so those are in UK already. What is it about men and their toys!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes, it seems that most airline have changed their policies in recent years to eliminate taking guitars on board. KLM's own website states that you can carry on a guitar providing it is within certain dimensions. Let me assure you that 99% of guitars are larger than those dimensions quoted. That leaves steinberger electrics and other travel guitars.

Still, I took a friend to the airport with me as a safety net. Seems to be the safe thing to do.

edit: if your guitar has a bolt on neck, then disassembling it is the safest way, but mine has a set neck. A good repair job would've cost upwards of 600gbp.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I don't like Country Western music but whenever I think of traveling with guitars I picture this
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guitars are easy relatively easy

Now ask me how to pack a £6k road bike and £5k TT frame with integrated aero bars, all with extra training and racing wheels
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:18 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

thanks to all for their advice/experiences. He needs to find proper packing cases for his studio equipment, and that wont be expensive

He's still worried
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure when they load them in the container there is nothing heavy nearby to crush them. Make sure they are are in waterproof packing as well as containers do leak sometimes. For insurance get an agreed value on each item in writing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.