Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

rockchick123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

We have the opportunity to move to Hawaii. It would be great to hear from anyone that has moved there. If Hawaii does not work out we can move to AZ , FLA or NC.

Hawaii is ridiculously expensive to live but we think it would be worth it for the lifestyle and to be able to live in such a beautiful place.
Arizona has great opportunities but not sure I could handle the heat, but it is close to California where our friends live.
Florida is a favourite place of ours but the hurricanes are a concern.
Never been to North Carolina but know people that live there.

Any advice from anyone that lives in any of the above mentioned states would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 6:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Originally Posted by rockchick123
We have the opportunity to move to Hawaii. It would be great to hear from anyone that has moved there. If Hawaii does not work out we can move to AZ , FLA or NC.

Hawaii is ridiculously expensive to live but we think it would be worth it for the lifestyle and to be able to live in such a beautiful place.
Arizona has great opportunities but not sure I could handle the heat, but it is close to California where our friends live.

Any advice from anyone that lives in any of the above mentioned states would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the Members list at the top of the page and look up 'Yorkshirelass' - she lives in Hawaii. You can also read up on her previous posts.....her early ones give an account of life in HI.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want to hear about? Cost of living? Traffic? Weather? Quality of education? Tax rates?

Can you be more specific... Don't say everything
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:07 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

BA do direct flights from Phoenix to Heathrow.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Expats in HI, AZ, FLA, NC? Need Advice

Originally Posted by Celsius
What do you want to hear about? Cost of living? Traffic? Weather? Quality of education? Tax rates?

Can you be more specific... Don't say everything

I would like to know what living in general is like in these states. Yes, I would like to know cost of living, education etc. But it is more important that I hear how people feel about living there than what it would cost.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Piedmont region of NC, between the mountains and the ocean. The draw of NC for Americans at least appears to be the weather (we have four seasons here and the winters are not severe in general) and the cost of living (lower than NE US).

NC has become more multicultural since I moved here (over four years ago). More (East) Indians, Latinos and even Brits.

There is a non-stop flight from Raleigh-Durham International Airport to Gatwick which is really convenient too. I believe there's flights between UK and Charlotte, NC too.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:08 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona is also known as the 'dumbest state' when it comes to education, so that should tell you something. Yes, Texas were in the running, but we beat them at their own game & we were crowned the dumbest, we're number 1 at being think, wooohooo - Go AZ!!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
BA do direct flights from Phoenix to Heathrow.
Amen to that, just booked my Christmas trip home using the link to the Pride discount mentioned on here a few weeks ago... still $850 though, *owch*.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Arizona is also known as the 'dumbest state' when it comes to education, so that should tell you something. Yes, Texas were in the running, but we beat them at their own game & we were crowned the dumbest, we're number 1 at being think, wooohooo - Go AZ!!!
I second that..... in Target last week:

Sales girl "you have a thick accent, where are you from?"
Me (after being called Australian many times): "have a guess"
SG: "Hmm, where is that?"

I had to smile
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding me? IMHO Hawaii is the best place in the world...paradise....aloha. Not been there for a few years but remember property was very expensive.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you kidding me? IMHO Hawaii is the best place in the world...paradise....aloha. Not been there for a few years but remember property was very expensive.
And you can meet Dog Chapman ...
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And you can meet Dog Chapman ...
.....an added bonus.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to be Devil's Advocate or whatever but there is a lot of "White Trash" in and from Arizona. Including White Flight Californians. In my personal experience the only good thing about AZ is the Grand Canyon. Other than that, hotter than Satans underpants.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Ok....Hawaii is paradise and Arizona is full of white trash...what about FLA and NC?
Cary , NC was voted in the top 10 best places to live this week and it is very cheap to live there.
I could buy two houses there for the price of one everywhere else, but what is it like to live in NC?
Any takers?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok....Hawaii is paradise and Arizona is full of white trash...what about FLA and NC?
Cary , NC was voted in the top 10 best places to live this week and it is very cheap to live there.
I could buy two houses there for the price of one everywhere else, but what is it like to live in NC?
Any takers?
Don't write off AZ based on my statement as I have never lived there. Some people live in AZ and are as happy as a pig in shit. It's also a retirement destination for some reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.