Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Re: Expat Ride - Car Leasing/Financing for Expats

I am returning to the US after 14 years in the UK. I am a USC with no credit rating and for my husband UKC this will be the first time he has lived in the States, so he too has no credit rating. Would anyone recommend trying AutoSource in our circumstances to finance a car?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Yes. Worth doing.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Hi all...hope this isn't too much of a thread hi-jack...

Looking to lease a vehicle, primarily in order to build up that all important credit score! International Autosource looks to be the best option - however I'd been hoping to get a Maza CX-9 (we need 7 seats and of all the options we can afford, it looks like the least boat-like to drive...) - anyone got any experience of leasing a mazda with zero US credit history?

I will be on an L-1...
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrlion
Hi all...hope this isn't too much of a thread hi-jack...

Looking to lease a vehicle, primarily in order to build up that all important credit score! International Autosource looks to be the best option - however I'd been hoping to get a Maza CX-9 (we need 7 seats and of all the options we can afford, it looks like the least boat-like to drive...) - anyone got any experience of leasing a mazda with zero US credit history? ...
I can't speak about leasing a Mazda, but I did use IA when I first came over, and I thoroughly recommend them, excellent service, can't fault it.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

mrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud ofmrlion has much to be proud of

Cheers! To be clear - this is the gang at intnlauto.com? One of the phone numbers is outdated and grammatical error on the website make me slightly nervous...but the configurator looks pretty legit...
Old Jun 17th 2013, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrlion
Cheers! To be clear - this is the gang at intnlauto.com? One of the phone numbers is outdated and grammatical error on the website make me slightly nervous...but the configurator looks pretty legit...
Yes International Autosource. I was a little sceptical about the marketing flyer that arrived after we contacted an international shipper, and this was before I discovered and joined BE, but we decided to go with them, and were so glad we did. In fact their MAIN business is selling cars to US servicemen (when Mrs P went to pick up the car, the rep at the local Ford dealer that received and handed over the car assumed that Mrs P was married to a serviceman! ), so they are TOTALLY legit!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2013 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:03 am
Just Joined

jfathers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All: the posts in this thread are very interesting but happened a little while ago. I have two quotes on the table - one from enterprise via expat rides and one from Int Autosource. As someone said above -IAS - limited choice - lower monthly payment (348) plus tax?, wait for 30 days till i get a SSN, local licence etc. Enterprise say they can temp tag the car and deliver it on my first day, they have car I want - monthlys are higher (448 = no tax?) and the recommend a maintenance programme. 441/month. Its all too confusing.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:06 am
Just Joined

jfathers is an unknown quantity at this point

just got some more recent posts through - IAS looks like a good shout - they are limited on milage 12.000/yr over 36 months. I had thought id like to do some road trips which might then be a problem...Any one got any experience of enterprise fleet via expat ride?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jfathers
just got some more recent posts through - IAS looks like a good shout - they are limited on milage 12.000/yr over 36 months. I had thought id like to do some road trips which might then be a problem...Any one got any experience of enterprise fleet via expat ride?
Two alternatives spring to mind, ask IA if they can quote for a higher mileage lease, OR just rent a car for any longer road trips you plan. Your own insurance will cover the rental, and the car plus CDW shouldn't run more than $50/day for a Fusion/ Camry/ Altima sized car.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Sorry to jon the thread with absolutely no knowledge or research (yet). I'm considering relocating to the U.S. I've never lived there but have a passport. I've never heard of car leasing and don't know how it works. Can some one tell me what the cheapest way to get a car long-term is - e.g. leasing or International Autosource (via AIG Travelguard, or other?. I'd really appreciate someone telling me how leasing works too. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

No specific advice but I phoned International Autosource on the recommendation of this forum and was very impressed (so far) with the service and prices.

I am probably going to use them to get our car - will certainly report back when done...
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

CJ340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Good thread and very interesting to me right now. I am also looking at IntlAutoSource as I am coming over to SoCal in October on an H1B, I am interested in leasing a Ford Explorer XLT. The quote from IntlAutoSource is $3500 down then $415 a month for 24 months. This is based on a 24 month lease. To be fair I have added sat nav as I think we will need it.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of negotiating with IntlAutoSource or is it just you hav to pay the price they quote? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJ340
To be fair I have added sat nav as I think we will need it.
You can buy a GPS for $50 or a full on fancy one for less than $150.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
Can some one tell me what the cheapest way to get a car long-term is - e.g. leasing or International Autosource (via AIG Travelguard, or other?.
Buy the car outright.

Though a car a few years old would be cheaper still because of depreciation and insurance costs.

Lease, basically you put money down and pay a monthly fee, at the end of the contract you return the car and don't own anything.

You get limited mileage, usually 10/12K a year and anything over has a overage charge, say 5c a mile. You can negotiate a higher mileage allowance and pay a larger monthly fee.

You usually are required to return the car in mint shape, so no nicks, scratches or dents. Same type of tyres on the car that they use, follow the maintenance service guidelines but whether you have to pay or not is in the lease details.

It's generally not a great idea to lease, unless you know you are going to be staying for less than a couple years and/or want to drive a new car.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:35 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's generally not a great idea to lease, unless you know you are going to be staying for less than a couple years and/or want to drive a new car.
I'd echo what Bob said. Leases are great if you're only over for a couple of years or want to get a new car every couple of years. Long term leasing is more expensive than buying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.